Thread: Why isn't Jens Pulver fighting for the lw belt at UFC:64?

Default Why isn't Jens Pulver fighting for the lw belt at UFC:64?

Shouldn't Jens Pulver, the only lw champ the UFC has ever had, fight for the lw belt instead of Sherk and Florian?
    Member with the most bans and still with his original account.

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry. Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal."-Black Sabbath

Most likely because the UFC wants to get Pulver re-aquainted with their new fans who aren't really familiar with him. All the new fans know Florian from the TUF show, so they will use his name to sell tickets. I think Florian is a solid fighter, but he's only like 4-2 in MMA, definitely not deserving of a title shot. But with the UFC it's business 1st most of the time.

Also I believe if Pulver did get a title shot, and won, in his 1st fight back in the UFC it would make the UFC look a little bad considering he was only 2-2 in PRIDE recently and lost to 2 of their top LWs in Takanori Gomi and "Mach" Sakurai.

I personally don't mind Pulver not getting a title shot right away. Gives me something to look forward to in the future because he's one of my favorite fighters.
    Last edited by NinjaShogunRua; 08-30-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Yeah giving Pulver a shot right away wouldn't have been the right move...he'll probably be in an Anderson Silva situation where he fights once or twice and gets a shot.

Florian/Sherk will be a good fight. Florian has been really impressive and Sherk is a beast.

Then why give sherk a title shot?
    Member with the most bans and still with his original account.

"Make a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry. Happiness I cannot feel and love to me is so unreal."-Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by God
    because he's 30-2 with his only losses coming to GSP and Hughes. He's moving down to 155 and most people believe he will be dominant there with his strength and wrestling ability.

Sherk definitely deserves a title shot, he's paid his dues.

Sherk's been in the UFC for a while. He's just dropping in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by God
    Because, quite simply, Sherk is a badass.

Thread Information