Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cotto vs Malignaggi

You must know nothing about Chavez Jr. or never seen his fights. This kid is for real, he's not living just off a name. For his age and time as a pro he shows things you see in fighters that have been around 10+ years. He WILL be a world champ and a dominant one, mark my words.

I've seen his fights but everyone was against a complete and utter nobody. Not a nobody like a journeyman fighter, a straight up set up for the most part to make Chavez Jr. look good. And every fight I've ever seen of his has been one like that.

Much like I'm scared to jump on the Samuel Peter bandwagon because of the Tyson/Foreman/Liston myth, I also fear jumping on the bandwagon of a rookie prospect who is the son of a legend. Very rarely do they ever turn out to be even a glimpse of their father, let alone a legit contender on any level. There are exceptions, I don't need the list, but the past decade or so there's been way too many famous fighters sons come in and get babied until they can't be no more, and then they just drop off completely.

Until Chavez Jr. has a moment where I'm forced to sit up and take attention, I'll continue to be skeptical about his future in boxing.

i must be high but i think you guys are giving cotto props. paulie is a b level fighter and cotto couldnt get him out of there, he did break his jaw, and paulies tough, but come on. for cruz to say he deserves a real title shot is a joke.
    he should move up to 147 cuz hes killin himself to make weight for no reason theres no money at 140 if hes not scared whats his excuse. hes got hatton, mayweather, margarito, mosley, baldomir, judah and even gatti. at 140 hes gonna fight a bunch of nobodies with the possibility of castillo or vivian harris. WOW. cotto is good, definitely, but he will get exposed by an elite caliber fighter. talent wise hes no zab judah, and physically no floyd mayweather or anybody elite for that matter, mentally hes great but like i said hes a b+ fighter. hes the opposite of zab judah. hes got the mental control and maturity, he just doesnt have the top skill to make him an elite boxer, EVER. id have trouble pickin him over floyd, castillo, margarito, baldomir, mosley and even judah (due to physical skills only no personal bias honestly). id give him a big chance against hatton and gatti tho.

and boone i agree with chavez jr. he looks lackluster in fights he should dominate and seems to fade when hes in a tough war. hes got great physical skills but will find it hard to fight inside with that lanky body as he gets older against smaller inside fighters and really needs to learn dramatically how to destroy from the outside but i dont see him ever becoming more then a temp. title holder.

and for the record Puerto Rican fans, u need to realize this guy will never be Trinidad. Not even close.

Thread Information