Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Cruz & I come up with new MMA rankings...

Default Help Cruz & I come up with new MMA rankings...

This is the same thing I posted in the Site/Suggestion feedback forum. I figured since it's no longer a suggestion and something we're going to do, it should be handled in this forum.

I told you people craze over these unofficial rankings lol. I think it's something in them just dieing to either call you a genius or call you a retard. Very rarely will anyone say "eh I can understand those lists but mine would be different." It's either one extreme or the other - "you're a fucking idiot you're on crack you hug UFC's nuts", or "what a genius this is the best and most accurate list I've seen". Gets a lot of people talking though which is something a new forum like ours needs, and is why we're going to involve the entire forum on helping us do our lists.

We won't do a tally system where everyone posts lists and we just add up the votes and rank them accordingly, as there's way too many varying and biased opinions when you take EVERYONE into consideration. But prior to this (Cruz coming over, etc.) me and my main writer J.C. Weyand would take some time out and just argue and debate each other on each weight class for a top 10 list until we mutually compromised and settled on an agreeable list. We're going to do this with the entire forum. Everyone interested in helping us determine what will hopefully be the most accurate rankings online (since MMAWeekly, and the other top sites do the tally system and don't have someone with common sense overseeing shit and saying well I respect these guys opinions but some of these rankings stick out like a sore thumb) can do so here on the forum. Just post your top 10 lists for each division and if you feel you need to explain why you have certain fighters ranked in certain spots, include that too. We'll take it all in, argue it out with you guys and hopefully the end result is the most accurate rankings around.

here's my lists.

HW
    1.Fedor
    2. Nogueira
    3. Arlovski
    4.Hunt
    5.Crocop
    6. Barnett
    7.Kharitonov
    8. Aleks
    9.Sylvia
    10. Werdum

LHW
    1.Liddell
    2. Wanderlei Silva
    3. Mauricio Rua
    4. Babalu
    5. Arona
    6. Rampage
    7. Nogueira
    8. Overeem
    9. Ortiz
    10. Griffin (This was a pick'em)

MW
    1. Franklin
    2. Henderson
    3. Bustamante
    4. Lindland
    5. Filho
    6. Anderson Silva
    7. Loiseau
    8. Marquardt
    9. Horn
    10. Tanner

WW
    1. Hughes
    2. GSP
    3. BJ Penn
    4. Parisyan
    5. Sanchez
    6. JAke Shields
    7. Sherk
    8. Riggs
    9. Diaz
    10. Mayhem

LW.
    1. Gomi
    2. Kid
    3. Shaolin Ribeiro
    4. Kawajiri
    5. Sakurai
    6. Hansen
    7. Edwards
    8. Sudo
    9. Aurelio
    10. Sam Stout (also, another pick'em)

i just changed kdudes a bit because i did them pretty quick so there not to good. but the only things i disagree with with kdudes is not putting shogun as the top lhw, and having aa third. also the mws were a little off in my opinion. the last thing i changed is kid as number 1 lw because i think he has proven without doupt hes the best by far at that weight.

HW
    1.Fedor
    2. Nogueira
    3.Hunt
    4.Crocop
    5. Barnett
    6. Arlovski
    7.Kharitonov
    8. Aleks
    9.Sylvia
    10. Werdum

LHW
    1. Mauricio Rua
    2.Liddell
    3. Wanderlei Silva
    4. Babalu
    5. Arona
    6. Rampage
    7. Nogueira
    8. Overeem
    9. Ortiz
    10. Griffin (This was a pick'em)

MW
    1. Franklin
    2. Henderson
    3. Bustamante
    4. Filho
    5. Anderson Silva
    6. Marquardt
    7. Horn
    8. Akiyama
    9. Loiseau
    10. Tanner

WW
    1. Hughes
    2. GSP
    3. BJ Penn
    4. Parisyan
    5. Sanchez
    6. JAke Shields
    7. Sherk
    8. Riggs
    9. Diaz
    10. Mayhem

LW.
    1. Kid
    2. Gomi
    3. Shaolin Ribeiro
    4. Kawajiri
    5. Sakurai
    6. Hansen
    7. Edwards
    8. Sudo
    9. Aurelio
    10. Sam Stout (also, another pick'em)
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

our picks are pretty similar kass, but how can you not have lindland in the top 10 mw?

The list made me realize how light the LHW division is, Tito and Griffin shouldn't even be on a list at this point. I mean could you imagine Griffin against the likes of Silva or Rampage, it would be a massacre.

Unfortunately, I'm not so MMA savvy as to really be able to compile any sort of top 10 list...perhaps a top 5. I haven't seen guys like Werdum, Kharitonov, Kawajiri, Ribeiro, or Shields fight, just to throw out some names, but I'll give a relative rookie top 5, and short reason why.

Heavyweight
    1.Fedor- No brainer. The names he's beaten, and the manner in which he's beaten them makes him tops until proven otherwise.
    2.Nog- Has only lost (recently) to Emilianenko, otherwise, as dominant as ever against top names.
    3.Crocop-Only notable losses have come to the two above, and Randleman, which he got back. Otherwise, completely deserving of this spot.
    4.Sylvia- Yes, he's here because he holds a major org title belt, and sports an impressive win over a guy previously in the top 5.
    5.Hunt- He's just been hot lately, and could very well become the top contender to Fedor's title unless Barnett impresses as well.

Light Heavyweights
    1.Chuck- No one has been more impressive or dominant within the last two years than Chuck. Easily No. 1 in my book
    2.Wand- Again, he is still the champ, and got a win back against another top 5er, but not as impressive as Chuck recently
    3.Arona- Despite setback in close title fight with Wand, I'll give him the 3 spot.
    4.Shogun- Fluke as it may be, a loss is a loss, and with his absence, could drop out of top 5 if other LHWs begin to get hot.
    5.Babalu- Thoroughly hot the last couple of years and could become top of the heap if he beats Chuck in August for the title. Him and Shogun could easily swap positions.

Middleweights
    1.Ace- I suppose Hendo could be here as well, but I've seen Franklin being much more impressive in his wins against top competition, so he goes here.
    2.Hendo- Of course, he's not that far behind, and if he wins the upcoming Pride GP for his weight class, I have no choice but to put him at the top.
    3.Law-Gets major props for beating a tough guy at a higher weight class, and he's pretty much regained his old form since a shocking loss to Terrell.
    4.Filho- Still undefeated, with a good win over Ninja recently.
    5.Silva-A couple good wins recently, asides from that DQ loss to Okami.

Welterweights
    1.Hughes- Absolutely dominant since that Penn loss with wins over the likes of Rush, Trigg, Charuto, and Riggs. Unless Rush says otherwise, Hughes is planted here.
    2.GSP- His last three wins have come over top 10 cometition in Penn, Sherk, and Trigg, including two dominant wins over Sherk and Trigg. If he beats Hughes, he is firmly at the top.
    3.Penn- Suffered a close setback to another top 3 guy, so he merely falls one place. One more loss, though, and he may fall out of top 5.
    4.Karo- Hasn't lost since he dropped a decision to GSP, and holds solid wins over Diaz, Serra, Lytle, and Thompson. Beating Sanchez will solidify him as the best out of the elite 3.
    5.Shields- Winning a grueling tournament over tough competition makes him the best fighter at 170 who's not currently in the UFC. Sanchez relatively dull performance recently keeps him out of the top 5.

I'm not too qualified to talk about the lightweights, and as you can see, I might have a slight UFC bias, simply because I have little access to Pride. Hopefully, I can rectify this.
    Last edited by Salvy_Mic; 05-30-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Welterweight

1. Matt Hughes
    2. George St. Pierre
    3. B.J Penn
    4. Karo Parisyan
    5. Diego Sanchez
    6. Sean Sherk
    7. Jake Shields
    8. Joe Riggs
    9.Renato Verissimo
    10. Dean Lister

Middleweight

1. Rich Franklin
    2. Matt Lindland
    3. Dan Henderson
    4. Anderson Silva
    5. Jeremy Horn
    6. Evan Tanner
    7. David Loiseau
    8. Nathan Marquardt
    9. Mike Swick
    10. Chris Leben

Light Heavyweight

I agree with the one on the website.

Heavyweight

1. Fedor Emelianenko
    2. Tim Sylvia
    3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    4. Andrei Arlovski
    5. Mirko CroCop
    6. Mark Hunt
    7. Sergei Kharitonov
    8. Josh Barnett
    9. Jeff Monson
    10. Aleksander Emelianenko

Pound for Pound

1. Fedor Emelianenko
    2. Matt Hughes
    3. Rich Franklin
    4. Chuck Liddell
    5. Wanderlei Silva
    6. George St. Pierre
    7. BJ Penn
    8. Matt Lindland
    9. Tim Sylvia
    10. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Not as familiar with the lightweights at the moment.
    "If there's a little blood, people like to see blood, it makes it interesting." - Forrest Griffin

Oh, and I have to strongly disagree with the comment that Griffin would be massacred by Rampages and Wandy. Wandy would beat him rather soundly in a decision, and I'm not sure Jackson could beat him at all.
    "If there's a little blood, people like to see blood, it makes it interesting." - Forrest Griffin

Dean Lister never fought as a WW?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyterrell
    Oh, and I have to strongly disagree with the comment that Griffin would be massacred by Rampages and Wandy. Wandy would beat him rather soundly in a decision, and I'm not sure Jackson could beat him at all.
    *Gasping for air*...........erhhhhhh

Thread Information