View Poll Results: Is Boxing near its end?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

15 50.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Boxing really in bad shape right now?

Default Is Boxing really in bad shape right now?

Do you believe Dana White when he says that Boxing is in a bad place right now?

I dont, maybe thats just me but do more people really go to UFC events then boxing events?

The UFC arenas are too dark to really make an eye judgement but my guess is that a packed UFC venue is a lot smaller then a packed boxing venue, and I noticed a full house during the Barrera fight still looks like more people go to Boxing then they do the UFC I dont know this for fact though.

I also dont think De La Hoya is the heart and soul of boxing, he isnt the only boxer that they can market.

no way and it never will be. the hw divison does suck but this is probably the best summber for boxing in a long time. the sport was suffering for a little while a couple years ago but its turing around right now.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

Boxing will NEVER die! It'll always have rising stars. Dana was just building up mma by bad mouthing boxing. The lighter divisions are still hot.

I agree, Boxing will never die.. its been around for years and its never gonna go away.

Winky Wright is the next big thing!

winky wright will be exposed by jermain taylor on june 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Cruz
    winky wright will be exposed by jermain taylor on june 17th.
    Taylors a hard hitter but I think Winky out boxes him.

The thread title "is boxing in really bad shape right now" and the poll question "is boxing near its end" are two totally different questions. I don't know enough about the business of boxing to say if it's in really bad shape on that end, but as a fan I'd say it's the best it has been in a little while. There has already been a lot of big fights this year and there's quite a bit more already officially lined up across the next few months. Of course this is all excluding the Heavyweight division which as everyone has said for years now is in terrible shape, which it is.

As far as UFC crowd size versus boxing crowd size, it's complicated. UFC only runs PPV shows what, 6-8 times a year? The UFN's are in a shithole as far as seating capacity, so those are like what boxing's Friday Night Fights is like on ESPN. Same sized crowds. The FNF crowds might actually be bigger I'm not sure I haven't watched that show in a while. But a big UFC show doesn't do what a BIG boxing show does. Cruz would have to explain to you the difference between a BIG boxing show is and just a good fight fans want to see, because that's a whole 'nother story in itself. Overall boxing would slaughter UFC because they have so many more shows because it's a sport, whereas UFC is only one organization within a sport. If you're talking MMA in general in the U.S. vs. boxing in the U.S., I would have no idea because there's far too many shows.

Obviously boxing is still bigger than MMA right now, but UFC when they do PPV shows, their "top" shows - they're starting to be competitive with boxing's "top" shows (the DLH type top shows) in terms of attendance. PPV buys for a DLH type show still slaughter UFC numbers. But even there, UFC PPV numbers are dramatically increasing with each show.

bad shape and near its end isnt the same thing??????

No. You can be in bad shape financially and as a business but it doesn't necessarily mean you're headed for bankruptcy and extinction. You can peak and valley.

well I couldnt think of anything else

Thread Information