Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single or Double Mouthguards / Mouthpieces

Default Single or Double Mouthguards / Mouthpieces

From your experience, would you guys recommend single or double mouthguards? and what brand would you recommend?

I have heard that doubles are harder to breathe out of, and make some people gag, but they protect your lower teeth as well! Maybe prevent something like what happened in the Parisyan-Sanchez fight.

The doubles have an breathing slot in the middle to allow breathing, but is that enough?

I know custom mouthguards from your dentist are the best ones, but I just don't have $100 to spend on a mouthguard right now.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thechampishere View Post
    From your experience, would you guys recommend single or double mouthguards? and what brand would you recommend?

I have heard that doubles are harder to breathe out of, and make some people gag, but they protect your lower teeth as well! Maybe prevent something like what happened in the Parisyan-Sanchez fight.

The doubles have an breathing slot in the middle to allow breathing, but is that enough?

I know custom mouthguards from your dentist are the best ones, but I just don't have $100 to spend on a mouthguard right now.

Thanks!
    Between football, wrestling, kenpo and mma the best mouthguard i found was a $3.99 tiny ass seethrough one i got from Dick's Sporting goods. It provided good protection when i get hit in the jaw and it was confortable. Easy to breathe w/ it in as well. I dont think i'd ever spend that much money on a mouthguard.

Doubles suck you can't breath and that little slot sucks. Singles you ca get your bottom lip torn to hamburger and you teeth knocked out but I'll take that over gassing of risking a ko because my mouth is hanging down.

If you want to do the double mouthguard, the advice I have always heard was run with it in when you do cardio. That way you learn to breath through it better.

Thanks for the advice!
    I still can't decide whether I want to protect my lower teeth, or breathe properly.
    I'm considering either:

Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouthguard from Title Boxing

or

Brain-Pad Pro+ Plus High Performance Mouthguard from Title Boxing

I was also thinking of this one, but the Low Profile design would seem to be inadequate in protecting the roots of the teeth.

Brain-Pad Lo Pro+ Plus Mouthguard from Title Boxing

Which one??

most boxers in my gym wear the shockdoctor thats the way to go

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

Most this thread because this belongs in Training/Nutrition.. good post.

For MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing, stick to single.... that is my advice..

Shock Doctor is a quality brand by the way.... but, fancy mouth pieces aren't always needed.

So, I decided to order both, and try them both out. I saved on combined shipping, and figured I would use the single for lighter training and the double for sparring.

I will post my opinion and reviews for each after I get the full experience of both!

I'd shell out the cash and go see your dentist if the mouth guard is for fighting.

For "regular" sports the 5 dollar upper is all you need.

I'm currently using the Shock Doctor Gel Max Single Mouthguard. It's a little thick and uncomfortable, although many people have recommended it. However, I did screw up the boil and bite a little bit though, which may have contributed to my slight disappointment.

Thread Information