Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The point deduction for Lesnar

Default The point deduction for Lesnar

I might be wrong but it seems to me that the ref usually gives fighters a couple warnings before taking away points for strikes to the back of the head. I mean i'm all for fighter safety and I'm not trying to argue the strikes were legal but it was a real turning point in the match in my eyes. If anyone knows more on this subject please enlighten me cause I was cheering for Brock and had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth after the fight.

the ref told him to watch the back of Mir's head (its hard to hear, but Rogan is talking during it)

his punching was wreckless, and the 1st time he hits the back of Mir's head he's is not following the ref's instruction (which he is ALWAYS told to do during the staredown)

was the stop justified? yes

did it deserve a point deduction? maybe not

does the point matter? no

Quote Originally Posted by edthepimp View Post
    I might be wrong but it seems to me that the ref usually gives fighters a couple warnings before taking away points for strikes to the back of the head. I mean i'm all for fighter safety and I'm not trying to argue the strikes were legal but it was a real turning point in the match in my eyes. If anyone knows more on this subject please enlighten me cause I was cheering for Brock and had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth after the fight.
    This was done to death in about 5 other threads.

First of all, it wasn't one shot, it was several glancing shots and at least two solid shots. Mir's health and safety needed to be checked, and the fight needed to be reset.

I'm not sure if your upset about the point deduction, or the resetting. I don't think the point deduction matters, as Mir subbed him and it never went to the cards, but Mazzagatti apparently has a practice where he warns the fighters before the fight, in the dressing rooms, and doesn't feel the need to warn them again...they are professionals, they should know what they're doing.

And in the case of repeated illegal strikes, with no indication that he was going to stop throwing them wildly, Mazzagatti made the correct decision. A lot was made about the fact that Lesnar wears XXXXL gloves...one ill-timed strike to the spine with one of them could end a fighters career. He needs to learn what he's doing out there.

Again, this wasn't a matter of one incidental hit. Brock was flailing uncontrollably. While it's a fighters responsibility to protect himself at all times, it's also a fighters responsibility to have control over where his strikes are landing. Brock was anything but controlled, he looked like Ralphie fighting Scut Fargus in the playground in "A Christmas Story."

Brock has potential, he just needs to learn patience and control.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    This was done to death in about 5 other threads.

First of all, it wasn't one shot, it was several glancing shots and at least two solid shots. Mir's health and safety needed to be checked, and the fight needed to be reset.

I'm not sure if your upset about the point deduction, or the resetting. I don't think the point deduction matters, as Mir subbed him and it never went to the cards, but Mazzagatti apparently has a practice where he warns the fighters before the fight, in the dressing rooms, and doesn't feel the need to warn them again...they are professionals, they should know what they're doing.

And in the case of repeated illegal strikes, with no indication that he was going to stop throwing them wildly, Mazzagatti made the correct decision. A lot was made about the fact that Lesnar wears XXXXL gloves...one ill-timed strike to the spine with one of them could end a fighters career. He needs to learn what he's doing out there.

Again, this wasn't a matter of one incidental hit. Brock was flailing uncontrollably. While it's a fighters responsibility to protect himself at all times, it's also a fighters responsibility to have control over where his strikes are landing. Brock was anything but controlled, he looked like Ralphie fighting Scut Fargus in the playground in "A Christmas Story."

Brock has potential, he just needs to learn patience and control.

rh
    I agree fully, I counted i believe 5 shots to the back of the head. I would have to check my tape to confirm. It was not just one tap on the head
    Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it's all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, you'll never define you character.

So mazzagatti sees 2 glancing blows to mir's head that mir turned into....but brock tapped 2 times then 2 more times before mazzagatti stopped the fight?
    Borders. Language. Couture.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg2323 View Post
    So mazzagatti sees 2 glancing blows to mir's head that mir turned into....but brock tapped 2 times then 2 more times before mazzagatti stopped the fight?
    Three glancing blows and two solid ones.

But if you need to grasp at straws to find some injustice in it all, feel free.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Default Brock was hosed

I,ve seen Mazzagatti give fighters many wanrnings before a pont deduction. The fight I saw there were maybe two shots to the back of the head and Mir turned into them. Mir couldn't move Brock if he had to. It was clear that Lesnar was going to do some serious damage to Mir if Mazzagatti hadn't called for the stand up. Mir was also a little to smug about the win. He knows how close he came to getting into another motorcycle wreck. Can't wait for the re-match. And Herb Dean to ref.

Wow it looked like Mir was gonna get powned to sleep before the stop. I only saw it the one time on ppv, but brock was sure stricking ferociously and wrecklessly. With someone of his beastly power you can't really afford to give him multiple warnings.
    Plus even if Frank did turn into them, fighters turn away and expose the back of thier heads all the time. Its a defensive position,because as the rules say, you can't hit them there. So you can't really blame Frank. The burden is on brock to control himself right?
    Broad be the path to destruction, and many there be that go there at. Narrow be the path of Salvation, and few there be that go there at.

-GOD

Quote Originally Posted by Penn4prezident View Post
    Wow it looked like Mir was gonna get powned to sleep before the stop. I only saw it the one time on ppv, but brock was sure stricking ferociously and wrecklessly. With someone of his beastly power you can't really afford to give him multiple warnings.
    Plus even if Frank did turn into them, fighters turn away and expose the back of thier heads all the time. Its a defensive position,because as the rules say, you can't hit them there. So you can't really blame Frank. The burden is on brock to control himself right?
    I agree completly that it is up to brock to control where he strikes his opponent. I have re-watched the fight three times now but i still don't see the reason for deduction or the stoppage. Those kind of strikes happen all the time with no ref intervention.

I would challenge everyone to rewatch some fights where one fighter has given up their back just to be pummled by the other fighter. There are almost always some strikes to the side/back of the head. I would consider strikes to the back of the head like holding in football, the ref's could probably call it on every play because it happens to some degree in every play.
    Borders. Language. Couture.

i saw atleast 5 shots to the back of the head,may have been more,so yeah it should have been reset,and mir shoudl have had time to recover,it was only fair,the deduction is questionable,but everything else i agree with

Thread Information