+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The point deduction for Lesnar

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg2323 View Post
    I agree completly that it is up to brock to control where he strikes his opponent. I have re-watched the fight three times now but i still don't see the reason for deduction or the stoppage. Those kind of strikes happen all the time with no ref intervention.

I would challenge everyone to rewatch some fights where one fighter has given up their back just to be pummled by the other fighter. There are almost always some strikes to the side/back of the head. I would consider strikes to the back of the head like holding in football, the ref's could probably call it on every play because it happens to some degree in every play.
    I'm sorry, if you saw no reason to reset, than you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Certainly, the occasional strike to the back of the head is a common occurrance. But repeated blows to the back of the head, showing no signs of stopping or checking a single punch is what prematurely ends careers.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Remember the Mcdonald Franklin fight? I thought there was a ton of back of the head shots there but no stoppage. Could just be me, but it seemed an equal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Brock was anything but controlled, he looked like Ralphie fighting Scut Fargus in the playground in "A Christmas Story."
    Actually I'm pretty sure Ralphie had better GNP technique. Ralphie got mount before he started striking and threw at least a few technically correct punches from there. Brock just rained hammer fists from any ground position. War Ralphie

Hindsight is 20/20, Steve made a call, good, bad, whatever. It's easy to judge him after the fact with plenty of time to think about it and rewatch it. He doesn't have that luxury. Brock was able to be be humble in his defeat and accept it, maybe the rest of you should do the same.

the horse is dead people, the horse is dead.

I didnt start this thread to be a dick I really thought it was a little premature but I guess Rogans incoherant mumblings made it so I didnt her the refs warnings. I watched it again last night and I thought Jeremy horn took a bunch of solid elboiws to the top and back of the head which looked more dangerous than the Lesnar strikes with no restart but its true I'm beating a dead horse...so hard to let go when shit doesnt go your way ya know. In the end if something were to ever go wrong (god forbid) it would be mazzagattis ass on the line so its hard to judge him for doing his job but I would like to see the UFC take a different stand on this then to continue with the whole increased emphasis on fighter safety one and admit when there are early stops (not that this was or wasnt) I guess I should take a lesson from Brock and stop looking for excuses and eat some humble pie

with different referee's you're always gonna run into different interpretations of the rules

but the way I see it though is there's a huge difference between a MW hitting the back of someone's head (presumably accidentally) and a mammoth like Lesnar wrecklessly smashing at someone's head

just my .02

EDIT: If you still doubt the punches to teh back of the head

YouTube - Mir vs Lesnar back of the head clip
    Last edited by Gmunit; 02-05-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmunit View Post
    with different referee's your alway gonna run into different interpretations of the rules

but the way I see it though is there's a huge difference between a MW hitting the back of someone's head (presumably accidentally) and a mammoth like Lesnar wrecklessly smashing at someone's head

just my .02

EDIT: If you still doubt the punches to teh back of the head

YouTube - Mir vs Lesnar back of the head clip

So give Captain Mustache a break!

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

lol...my friends and i have started calling him "stache". i know its not funny but we smoke lots of ....umm sammiches

I do have to say that while I have no problem with taking the point (as long as he is consistent). I do find it odd that they were stood up instead of restarting in that position. It didn't impact anything, shit it probably helped lesnar since he ended up immediately dropping Mir, but still any time a fight is stopped it should be returned to the original position.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I do have to say that while I have no problem with taking the point (as long as he is consistent). I do find it odd that they were stood up instead of restarting in that position. It didn't impact anything, shit it probably helped lesnar since he ended up immediately dropping Mir, but still any time a fight is stopped it should be returned to the original position.
    but w/o a punch to the back of the head is it crazy to say that Mir couldn't have been on his way to standing up?

(i know i'm stretching, but still, for arguements sake, standing would be the most neutral position IMO)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information