Thread: Shaquille O'Neal now a Phoenix Sun

Default Shaquille O'Neal now a Phoenix Sun

NBA.com: The Diesel Heads West

SECAUCUS, N.J., Feb. 6, 2008 -- If the Western Conference wasn't interesting enough, the Big Diesel is coming back. The Suns have acquired Shaquille O'Neal from the Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.
    Video: Shaquille O'Neal | Shawn Marion

WHAT THE SUNS HAD TO SAY

Suns.com: Official Press Release
    The Phoenix Suns today acquired four-time NBA Champion Shaquille O’Neal from the Miami Heat in exchange for forward Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks, pending completion of physical examinations by both teams.

“We’re thrilled to add a player and person of Shaquille’s quality to our roster,” President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr said. “We believe this addition strengthens our team. We thank Shawn and Marcus for their contributions to our team. Shawn in particular has been a tremendous player for this organization the past eight-and-a-half years and his impact both on and off the court in Phoenix will not be forgotten.”
    While watching Mike and Mike on ESPN this morning, the Suns head coach stated that Shaq may not be "the man" in Phoenix but that he may be a huge factor off the bench. With Shaq getting older and worn down, i wonder if he will accept his role there among the other younger players. Then again, he would be a huge force coupled w/ Stoudemire and Nash out on the perimeter.

Shaq + Suns = Bust, hes the complete opposite fit for that team.. hes not an all-star anymore, the Heat have raped the Suns out of an All-star caliber player and a solid bench player that they never utilized. The Heat now have a scoring alternative to compliment Wade, and will be able to draft Hibbert and easily replace the void that Shaq has left. They will become a better team, while the Suns will become an older, banged up, aging team that will fade away.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Great trade for the Heat, horrible for the Suns. Even if they bring Shaq off the bench he's going to kill their momentum, he won't be able to keep up with their style of play so they will have to change what they do when he's in there and it will kill their flow.

The heat get a guy who can play 3 or 4 positions, defend and cause matchup nightmares for the opposition, plus they get a point guard who has much better upside than an aging Jay Williams (who doesn't run a team efficiently anyway) and they can now dump Smush (bust) Parker.

God. I can't help but agree with you guys. How the fuck do the Heat pull this off? They get an all-star player with fresh legs in exchange for a guy who will be the anchor of their offense and by anchor, I mean like on a cruise ship. When it's down, the boat goes nowhere without dragging it along. No way does the big boy keep up that pace. NO WAY.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

The Heat are going to be Nasty next year. I think Shaq will be better than you people do but I do think its a horrible trade for the Suns

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

Well as a diehard Heat fan I have to say I could not be happier right now. All Shaq has done in the last to years is get injured and take up cap space. With this trade look for the heat to have a squad next year the money there gonna save from this trade they will be able to pick up Elton Brand or Baron Davis or Both plus a top 5 draft pick the Heat are gonna be sick next year
    Dont Call It A Comeback

16-8-1 sig/av bets

Quote Originally Posted by lilp86 View Post
    Well as a diehard Heat fan I have to say I could not be happier right now. All Shaq has done in the last to years is get injured and take up cap space. With this trade look for the heat to have a squad next year the money there gonna save from this trade they will be able to pick up Elton Brand or Baron Davis or Both plus a top 5 draft pick the Heat are gonna be sick next year
    haha imagine that
    PG: Baron Davis
    SG: Dwayne Wade
    SF: Shawn Marion
    PF: Elton Brand
    C: Roy Hibbert
    my guess is the heat are not going to get Baron or Elton tho

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

Just have to say to everyone ever heard of an outlet passer and 4 man break?? Ala 80's Lakers???? It might be a bust it might be the best thing that ever happened to a team who didn't know how to clog a lane to save their life. Let's just see how this pans out before we think it sucks as bad as it might appear.

Shaq is old, hasnt played even 90% of a season in the last 3 years, hes no longer an all-star.. and now hes on a team that doesnt fit his style.. it would be the craziest thing to happen in basketball if Shaq is even remotely a factor for the Suns.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

It comes down to you have a big man especially in the west, and the last championship through 1999 are with a big man Duncan, Big Ben and Shaq. Look at Detroit they have done anything since Ben Wallace left for the Bulls.
    So with Shaq in PHX in the playoffs its important that they can slow the game down and control the clock and just grind it out because of course to be a champion you have to do the dirt work.
    [IMG]][/IMG]

Thread Information