Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When did you get into MMA?

I started watching when UFC 1 came out on video. From then on, I tried to rent every one that came out on video. After I saw Royce vs Sakuraba in Pride on PPV, it was clear that mma was evolving and getting more exciting. Now I try to catch every event that I can. I started training in MMA, Jiu Jits, and Judo last year and that makes it even more interesting, because now I understand a lot more of what is going on.

To be honest I've only been really really into MMA for about a year.

But i've seen pretty much every important fight there's ever been thanks to the internet...

I would love to train BJJ but unfortunately i live in a shit-hole known as Ste. Gen, Missouri...

I've been a casual fan of the UFC since like 1999 after I played the UFC game on Dreamcast. I had been a wrestling fan but I was longing for real fights and surprises. So i watched PPV's here and there of fighters I liked headlining like Chuck and Tito. Then I discovered Pride two summers ago in the form of those awesome Pride Legacy DVD's and became a fan through and through. Now Hendo is my favorite fighter and I don't miss ANY event if I can. Even smaller shows. I always loved boxing so Im sure that had something to do with my attraction to MMA, as well.

Sadly I wont be training MMA until this winter but I've got this itch to fight a couple times just to really become that knowledgeable like some of the guys here. I really respect the opinions of guys who actually TAKE jiu jit and I wanna be one of those guys. Plus I'm built like a brick shithouse with the agilitly of a cat on caffeine so I should pick it all up nicely.

I thought the UFC was garbage at first. I saw some woefully outmatched fights, some guys who weren't in good shape (and looked it) and at times looked ridiculous.

Then I saw this special on cable where it talked about Frank Shamrock and it showed his fight with Enson Inuoe and was hooked on it. Frank had just retired at that point and was going through is career and the fight game in general. Around that time I saw this movie on Bravo or something called "The Smashing Machine".

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    To be honest I've only been really really into MMA for about a year.

But i've seen pretty much every important fight there's ever been thanks to the internet...

I would love to train BJJ but unfortunately i live in a shit-hole known as Ste. Gen, Missouri...
    Thanks for the honesty man! I know a lot of people who claim they have been into mma for years...but in all reality they are just getting into it. It makes them feel more knowlegable or something if they claim years as a fan...

tank, keith hackney, pat smith, coleman got me into the ufc, a lot of people hate the old ufc but liked the hillbillies throwing thier dukes, most didnt have any training but it was entertaining, i used to hate the 30 minute matches, i watched most of the early ufc's and few here and there, it got kinda boring for me around the tito era so i basically missed most in the middle and i got back into it with tuf and havent missed 1 ppv since

my uncle showed me every ufc as they came out, he was rally into it, i never really cared for it much, enjoyed watching it, but what got me into it was carlos newton, a fellow torontonian, watching his whole drama with matt hughes, really turned me onto the sport...

Thread Information