Thread: New to mma

Default New to mma

I was wondering how long it takes for someone new to the sport of mma to start competing in amateur mma events. I know that there are several factors that would go into it but just an estimate for when it would be acceptable to try it. I have been training jui jitsu for about 2 months and don't have any prior wrestling experience. I did some martial arts as a teenager for about 2 years. I am 6'5 and weigh 220. My guess is 1-2 years. Anybody have any ideas or know someone that has done it sooner. I want to set some goals for myself and just want to be realistic.

Thanks

It depends on how much YOU put into it.. how serious you are about it..

Are you going to eat right, take care of your body (stretching, not drinking, etc).. how many days are you going to train.. all of that plays its part in how fast you will increase your abilities..

Amateur MMA.. 1 year of serious MMA training (you already took step 1 with BJJ, now you really need a striking and grappling (as in takedowns, throws, wrestling, etc) martial art such as Judo, Greco Roman, Sambo, etc) is all you would need.

Take it serious, buy a notebook, write stuff down, do crazy shit like throwing knees while going up steps (I have to go up 8 flights of stairs to get to one of my classes at college, the stairwell is empty, and I throw knees on every step, just to work on speed and such).

Maybe you can do it quicker, but you have to want it.
    Last edited by Ramma; 02-18-2008 at 05:20 AM.

Ifightforaliving Guest

My friend did it on 1 week notice and no training. I would say at least a year though you need to really get comfortable and also know how to protect yourself because if not you could get hurt bad. I would say get really well prepared as to what you are getting in to. Find a reputable trainer/ trainers and make sure you yourself as well as these people feel you are ready to compete. DON'T RUSH IT. And Good luck

I just turned 28. I know i'm starting late but I have taken care of myself and I am in good shape so I don't feel like 28 is too late. Thanks for the advice. I am training at a local gym that has bjj classes 6 days a week and also has mma classes.

Quote Originally Posted by danielm View Post
    I just turned 28. I know i'm starting late but I have taken care of myself and I am in good shape so I don't feel like 28 is too late. Thanks for the advice. I am training at a local gym that has bjj classes 6 days a week and also has mma classes.
    I would say that you would consider a amateur fight when you go to your gym and train. Not go to your gym and take a class, that is kinda how I gauged myself I figured If I'm going to learn the jab every Mon. when a new guy joins I'm fucked. I guess another way to tell is when your instructor starts offering you fights at least that's how I knew I had made a little bit of progress, if he is going to pass some guys up and ask you he def sees something in you.

good luck with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    It depends on how much YOU put into it.. how serious you are about it..

Are you going to eat right, take care of your body (stretching, not drinking, etc).. how many days are you going to train.. all of that plays its part in how fast you will increase your abilities..

Amateur MMA.. 1 year of serious MMA training (you already took step 1 with BJJ, now you really need a striking and grappling (as in takedowns, throws, wrestling, etc) martial art such as Judo, Greco Roman, Sambo, etc) is all you would need.

Take it serious, buy a notebook, write stuff down, do crazy shit like throwing knees while going up steps (I have to go up 8 flights of stairs to get to one of my classes at college, the stairwell is empty, and I throw knees on every step, just to work on speed and such).

Maybe you can do it quicker, but you have to want it.
    Sums up what I was going to say. If you put you life into training 1 year would be fine, if you are just training 2 or 3 hours per week then probably a bit longer before the first fight.

Thread Information