+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definition of an Athlete ?

Default Definition of an Athlete ?

I would just like to get some opinion on what people think an "Athlete" is. I personally feel like someone who is in shape physically, has stamina, flexibility, etc is just as much of an athlete as someone who is huge and strong, but is not as skilled. This comes from a comment from Matt Serra that Lesnar is ten times the athlete that Mir is. Granted, Mir came back from his accident a bit chubby, but he has gotten in pretty great shape. I would give Brock 20% better, but twice that athlete or ten times? For example, is BJ penn or GSP less of an athlete than Brock because they are smaller and didn't hold titles in standard athletics? Is Arlovski less of an athlete than Lesnar? Granted, I have to say that Brock is a better wrestler, but athlete?
    I personally believe that flexibility, coordination and mental skill are just as much a part of an athlete as strength and power. What is the general feeling?

He wasn't saying that because he's big and strong. Brock is a freak in every sense of the word. He's fast as shit, super strong, explosive, has stamina. Whether aided by Vitamin S or not the man is a freak of nature athletically.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

Quote Originally Posted by Kimuras"R"Us View Post
    He wasn't saying that because he's big and strong. Brock is a freak in every sense of the word. He's fast as shit, super strong, explosive, has stamina. Whether aided by Vitamin S or not the man is a freak of nature athletically.
    I understand that, and I should also note that Serra clearly did not intend it as an insult. This isn't about Mir. It just got me thinking. Brock is a great athlete, no question, and for his size, very quick (a freak much like Alexander Karelyn who would have put him on his butt I think) but is he more of an athlete than say BJ Penn? just because you are huge and athletic does it make you more of an athlete than someone smaller. In other words I would make the argument that by the very definition of MMA, a top notch (note that I say top notch) MMA fighter is a better athlete than many olympic or professional athletes that are specialized in one field. MMA fighters have to be strong, have stamina, agility, smarts, pain threshold, etc. without leaving anything lacking.

ath·lete (āth'lēt') Pronunciation Key
    n. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

[Middle English, from Latin āthlēta, from Greek āthlētēs, contestant, from āthlein, to contend, possibly from āthlos, contest.]

Jason MacDonald.

Someone who doesn't spend 12 hours a day posting on MMA bulletin boards.

someone that participates in professional sports

Take Brock Lesnar ... he is the definition of an amazing athlete but someone like Frank Mir may not be a better athlete but he is better at his profession... fighting.

Then again anyone that competes in competitive sports I see as an "athlete"

Not Nascarr.

this is the definition of an athlete:

UFC® : Ultimate Fighting Championship®

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information