Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castillo FAILS to make weight AGAIN!!

Default Castillo FAILS to make weight AGAIN!!

Read all the details here: http://www.mmanews.com/article/151298940.php

He's 5 lbs. over. The NSAC says if he can't weigh in at 135 within the next two hours, they will NOT let the fight go on.

wtf?!!?!?!?!?!? i forgot about the weighins! thats bullshit coming in at 140, he's been around long enough to know how to make weight. what time is the next weighin? i'm about to lose a lot of respect for castillo because i don't see him making weight. i would've had to watch this on tivo anyways since i was going to be in ac.

Bout an hour left for him to weigh in at 135. Arum is PISSED. Cool quote from him on the article on MMANews.com.

yea i read it. so around 9pm then? i'll have to keep an eye out for that but i don't see him dropping 5lbs in 2 hours, he couldn't even drop the 2lbs he was over last time.

I don't know. What's the fight purses for this one? I think with it being part III of one of the best trilogies in modern history (gatti-ward, bowe-holyfield, barrera-morales being the other main three that stick out at me) the money has to be insane, esp. with PPV percentages that I'm sure they'd get. With that much money at stake I don't see Castillo blowing it. If he fails to make weight two out of three times for Corrales, I'm not even sure if they'd try and do the fight again after this. Or if they did, they probably wouldn't do it soon enough to capitalize on all the momentum from the first two fights.

no if he dont make it he's moving on to 140lbs for a possible showdown with cotto in september. theres a lot of money out there but i'm sure he's doing well enough that he could pull some dumb or grimy shit, if it was only 2lbs maybe but 5lbs no freakin way someone of his caliber and experience misses the target by that much.

He didn't make it. I misread the orignal report. The NSAC only allowed him two hours to drop no more than two pounds. If he failed that fight would be off. Now FightNews.com is reporting that Castillo only dropped 1/2 lb., weighing in his second and final chance at 139.5 lbs. They claim it's once again up to Corrales as to whether or not the fight goes on.

Fuck reputation, I don't think it'd hurt Corrales one bit not to take the fight. He took it last time like a true warrior when he didn't have to and got knocked out, giving Castillo undeserved glory. He earned it in the ring sure, but part of your job as a pro is to meet all the requirements, one of the biggest being weight. He's pulled this shit two (not a typo) many times now and if I were Corrales I'd pull out and let Castillo's name go in the dirt. Fuck that. That's so unprofessional.

http://www.mmanews.com/article/151300573.php << more details.

i see corrales turned it down, good for him. that's pathetic on castillo's part.

From www.mmanews.com:

Castillo-Corrales III Officially Cancelled

As we've been covering all day here on the boxing newsboard, there has been some controversy regarding the weigh-ins for the scheduled rubber match between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo.

Castillo failed to make weight in his first attempt, coming in at an astonishing 140 lbs., five full pounds over the 135 lb. weight-limit. Castillo was given the opportunity to lose the weight in two hours. In his second attempt to make weight, Castillo had only shed a half a pound, weighing in at 139.5 lbs. At this point, the Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Diego Corrales the option to go ahead with the fight anyway, which would have been non-title and Corrales would have received a percentage of Castillo's purse.

Due to the fact that this happened in their second bout and Corrales decided to fight anyway and lost by early knockout, apparently "Chico" wasn't quick to jump back into similar circumstances.

Top Rank promoter and Diego Corrales represenative Gary Shaw announced the fight was off at about 5:30PM Pacific Time. "He [Corrales] is not going to put his life at risk, you saw what happened last time. We are not money hungry!"

Castillo's promoter Bob Arum said he is "mortified and completely embarassed." Prior to Castillo's second failed attempt to make weight, Arum was quoted about his own fighter saying, "This is a complete disgrace. As far as I'm concerned, I do not represent him. If I was Corrales, I wouldn't fight him. This is a disgrace to the sport of boxing."

More details as we receive them.

that plain fuckin sucks for fight fans though. boxing always ruins everything good.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

Thread Information