Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Koscheck still gunning for Matt Hughes

Default Josh Koscheck Wants To Get A Ufc Title Shot

mmaweekly.com interview with JOSH KOSCHECK

Following his UFC 82 victory over Dustin Hazelett, Josh Koscheck became a free agent; but the Top Ten ranked welterweight expects to re-sign with the Ultimate Fighting Championship and work his way into title contention.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to be with the UFC," said The Ultimate Fighter season one alumnus. "I know my manager and the UFC are in talks right now, so that's up to them. If the UFC wants me, I want to be in the UFC. For me, it's my home. I started my career there and hopefully I'll end my career there. It's the place to be right now, and it's a good time to be a UFC fighter.

"I let my management do all of that. My job is to train. My job is to fight. Their job is to represent me."

The fight with Hazelett was his tenth fight in the UFC. Expecting to re-sign, Koscheck is focused on putting himself in a position to get a shot at the welterweight title.

"I honestly don't care who I fight. I want the fight to make sense in order for me to get back to getting a title shot. If I can get a good three wins in a row, hopefully I can be a contender again and get a chance to fight for that title and get that belt," he told MMAWeekly.com.

"That's the ultimate goal is to get that UFC title and that's like the Super Bowl right now... That's the belt to have right now and that's the belt I want."

Koscheck may not care whom he fights, but Diego Sanchez has made it known that he'd like a rematch with the American Kickboxing Academy-trained fighter. Asked about Sanchez, Koscheck said, "I think when you lose a fight, you want it really bad. It took me two years to get a rematch with Diego, so what makes him think he wins one fight and he can step right up and get a rematch?

"I think I'm in his head,” he continued. “He's only been thinking and focusing about me for the last year. It's actually kind of nice. He's in the same shoes I was after The Ultimate Fighter. For two straight years I woke up every morning hating Diego Sanchez.

"If it makes sense and the UFC wants it and the fans want it, I'll do it, but he's going to be pissed off after the fight again because he's going to have another two years to set back and pout and cry because I'm going to kick his ass."

Since Koscheck’s emergence in mixed martial arts, wrestling enthusiasts have been chomping at the bit to see Koscheck vs. Matt Hughes and it's a fight he would relish.

"Matt Hughes, he's been a great champion. I don't have anything against him. I'm definitely going to try to hype the fight up as much as possible if we could get it, but I don't know if he wants to fight me. I think he wants to fight Matt Serra and retire, but if he's willing to step up, I'll sign that contract tomorrow," said the 29-year-old fighter.

Training out of AKA in San Jose, Calif., Koscheck’s teammates include two other top contenders in the UFC welterweight division in Jon Fitch and Mike Swick. Questioned if he'd ever consider fighting a teammate, Koscheck responded, "Money talks brother. Money talks, and I can guarantee you Jon Fitch would say the same thing.

"Unless it makes good sense, we have a good atmosphere. We're good friends. I think unless it makes sense, it's going to be very hard to get us to fight at this point in our careers."

He continued, "Now if me, Jon Fitch and Mike Swick clean out the whole division like Anderson Silva did, then what else is there for us to do? We've got to fight each other and we would know that. It would be a mutual agreement that this is how it's going to work and we fight each other.

"Right now, there's probably not any sense for us to talk about it because there's a lot of guys in that welterweight division that still need their butt's kicked and the AKA boys are probably going to have to do that."

For the latest on Josh Koscheck, visit his website at Josh Koscheck UFC Fighter - Mixed Martial Arts and his clothing company at MarClothing.
    I thought this was a very good interview....like i've said before, KOS is growing on me!! he's becoming one of the most exciting fighters in the UFC.

and i would love to see a diego-kos rematch.....
    BJ PENN HIGH KICK ENDING A FIGHT....WHO WOULD'VE THUNK IT???

"I only wanna be known as the BEST EVER, is that too much to ask?"
    -- B.J. Penn
    FAVORITE FIGHTERS: BJ PENN, HENDO, MAYHEM, KID YAMAMOTO, VERA, VITOR, and MIGUEL TORRES

Default Josh Koscheck still gunning for Matt Hughes

ďMatt Hughes, heís been a great champion. I donít have anything against him. Iím definitely going to try to hype the fight up as much as possible if we could get it, but I donít know if he wants to fight me. I think he wants to fight Matt Serra and retire, but if heís willing to step up, Iíll sign that contract tomorrow.Ē

Ė Josh Koscheck tells MMAWeekly.com that heís still eager to take on former welterweight champion, Matt Hughes, which would match up two of the best wrestlers in the organization. ďKosĒ reveals that he is still contract-less, but his management team is in talks with the UFC on an extension. Hughes will more than likely fight Matt Serra if he loses to Georges St. Pierre next month, making a showdown with Koscheck unlikely in the near future.
    I would want to see this fight. Winner would get back on track for a title shot

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

I don't know about back on track for a title shot...just as many MMA fans are arguing Chuck shouldn't get another shot at Rampage ever due to the two beatdowns he got, I cannot see Matt Hughes ever fighting GSP again (this is assuming GSP beats Serra) after those two beatdowns - and this from one of the biggest Hughes fans you'll find. He's just simply not on GSP's level these days.

Now, if Serra were to beat GSP, then I could see Hughes fighting Serra for the title - even though Dana has said Fitch would get the next shot, he's screwed multiple people before and would waste no time setting up Hughes for Serra, maybe even on NYE, for the title.

If some hypothetical Koscheck-Hughes fight were to occur, and Koscheck were to win, then yes I'd say he's right near the top of the list for a title shot.

I get the impression Hughes is holding out for one more fight, and that is Matt Serra, whether he wins, loses or draws vs. GSP.
    Last edited by Diegonightmare; 03-09-2008 at 03:01 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

If Kos were to fight Hughes, I personally think it would be a great fight. When two wrestlers face each other, it's so hard for each wrestler to take the other one down ...that it ends up turning into a standup battle. Kos may have the better wrestling and the better standup, but Hughes is much better on the ground than Kos. So it all depends where it goes. I would love to see this fight.

theres no way hughes would fight kos right now, if serra loses they are gonna fight i bet you guys even if serra won matt hughes would be looking at either fighting karo for a shot or getting one immediatly they were gonna fight on the show, they wanna fight, if its for the title all the better, at least thats how dana would hopefully look at it
    p.s hughes would tap kos out

i think Kos would beat Hughes, i hate these guys...but i pull for anyone vs. Hughes so WAR Koscheck!

"For years Iíve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think Iím gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

Quote Originally Posted by ArMnHC View Post
    i think Kos would beat Hughes, i hate these guys...but i pull for anyone vs. Hughes so WAR Koscheck!
    battle of the dicks lol

Quote Originally Posted by pa99fighter View Post
    battle of the dicks lol
    for sure! we already know what Hughes is like...and from what ive heard, Kos is one of the biggest asswipes in person.

"For years Iíve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think Iím gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

Quote Originally Posted by pa99fighter View Post
    battle of the dicks lol
    Ugh...that's gross.

Im not a fan of either, but I do think it'd be a great fight. Hughes will never beat GSP again, so at this point, Hughes is fighting either for fun or a grudge. If Hughes only has 2-3 more fights in him, I'd rather see him vs. Serra, Kos and maybe BJ once more.

Quote Originally Posted by ArMnHC View Post
    for sure! we already know what Hughes is like...and from what ive heard, Kos is one of the biggest asswipes in person.
    yeah TUF 1 showed how Koscheck was a dick and TUF 2 showed how Hughes was a dick lol

Thread Information