Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Filho in Clinic, Out of WEC Fight

Default Breaking News: Filho in Clinic, Out of WEC Fight

Source & Full Article
    Breaking News: Filho in Clinic, Out of WEC Fight

Paulo Filho will not defend his WEC middleweight crown against Chael Sonnen on March 26, his manager, Jorge Guimaraes, told Sherdog.com.

"We tried our best with Filho, but it didn't work and he'll not fight in the WEC," Guimaraes said. "He tried with all his effort to accomplish the title defense, but he realized he couldn't do it due to chemical dependence and depression. He knew this kind of stuff does not have a link with the sport, and I'm happy he had a conscience and looked for help."
    Last edited by atj-lucko; 03-14-2008 at 05:14 AM.

foundstarr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by atj-lucko View Post
    Source & Full Article
    Breaking News: Filho in Clinic, Out of WEC Fight

Paulo Filho (Pictures) will not defend his WEC middleweight crown against Chael Sonnen (Pictures) on March 26, his manager, Jorge Guimaraes, told Sherdog.com.

"We tried our best with Filho, but it didn't work and he'll not fight in the WEC," Guimaraes said. "He tried with all his effort to accomplish the title defense, but he realized he couldn't do it due to chemical dependence and depression. He knew this kind of stuff does not have a link with the sport, and I'm happy he had a conscience and looked for help."
    WHA???? :headscratch:

I hope he can get through these personal demons and get back into fighting. he's one of the best that the UFC/WEC has @ MW. I wonder if this played any kind of role in his lackluster performance in his last fight w/ sonnen. He looked like crap till he grabbed a hold of that arm.

foundstarr Guest

Did he get tested last fight?

would of never guessed

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

I hope he gets back in there. He did look like shit his last fight, now this explains it. That is good that at least he sought help before it was too late and tested positive for something or something else.

Fedor, Rampage, Alistair, Barnett, Werdum, Igor, Maia, Manhoef, Machida.
    K-1: Alistair!!! Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, Badr Hari

Fedor could lose all of his remaining fights and will still be the GREATEST FIGHTER OF ALL TIME!!!!

Weird. I'm not a fan, but I hope he can work this stuff out; admitting to a problem and getting help in the first place is difficult.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

TheDirtySis Guest

Im glad he had enough sense left in him to get help. Depression with drug abuse really leads to bad shit. At least he didnt go do anything crazy like Ryan Gracie did. Hope he gets well soon so Chael can whoop that ass.

Tatame or some kind of Brazilian site has to have more details to this story.

WARCHIEF!!!!

Give us news!!!

That expalins the waffling and his past performances. It may not have even been dugs or booze; sometimes roids cause depression in certain people. Regardless of the substance, I wish him well in his recovery.

Thread Information