As MMA becomes more and more popular there are more and more people speaking out against this wonderful sport. These are 6 of the stupid reasons why people hate MMA.
6. Close Mindedness- The most obvious reason people don't like the sport is the same reason people can't embrace a number of things, close mindedness. I have friends that no matter what I tell them they just will not watch one single fight and they just can't understand why I'm so enthuastic when I speak about it. It goes in one ear and out the other just because its something new to their world, and that just scares close minded people off immediately.
5. The Violence- This is probably the most popular reason not to watch MMA and is absolutely absurd. Our society is a violent one, no one can deny that and thats why people watch football(the most popular sport here in America), boxing, pro wrestling, and other contact sports. Take pro wrestling, anybody who knows about pro wrestling knows that these "bumps" that wrestlers take are real and result in numorous injuries and death. Think about it would you rather have your kid mimicking MMA or pro wrestling(jumping off your roof)? Just turn on your local news channel and then talk to me about MMA violence, its a media(fox news) manufactured lie that its too "brutal", give me a break.
4. There's No Skill Involved, Its Just a Street Fight- When I hear people say this(and I have) all I can do is laugh my face off. Well if thats what you think, start an MMA organization, sign lets say Fedor Emelianenko or Anderson Silva, then find the greatest street fighter in the world(not Kimbo, he actually trains, but would still lose miserably to the aforementioned fighters), sign him, put them in the cage and prove your point. What would happen is the street fighter would likely be KO'd or submitted in under a minute with ease. Its just an outright spit in the face to any good MMA fighter to say there's no skill involved.
3. Its Boring, All They Do Is Lay on Each Other- This is a sad reason people can't embrace MMA. Often times its just rotten luck of the person who might walk-in in the middle of a boring fight and that turns them away forever. Its common knowledge among MMA fans that when bringing someone new into the sport, you show some stand-up wars first like Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar 1 or Quinton Jackson vs Chuck Liddell 1, two great fights that have little to zero ground game. Further down the road as they watch more fights its almost inevitable that they will start to appreciate a Fedor/Nog 1 or a Griffin/Edgar.
2. I'm a Boxing Fan- Utterly retarded reason for hating MMA, thats right I said it. "Duh, I like watching people get punched in the face, but only if they wear those big red shiny gloves and I know the guys names". I don't have a problem with boxing, a good boxing match is entertaining and skillful, but its not an actual fight, its a punching war. Ask a boxer like Oscar De La Hoya or Pretty Boy Floyd(who swears he could do it, LOL) and ask them to take 3-4 low leg kicks from Thiago Alves, Crocop or even a retired Bas Rutten without crying like a little girl. Better yet ask them to defend a Matt Hughes, GSP, Matt Hamill or Randy Couture takedown without having their spine rearranged. Its 2 different sports, but boxing guys like Jim Lampley have to run their mouth after every boxing event or go on ESPN/Fox to "defend" their sport. Its a ridiculous argument in which to hate MMA and they know it.
1. Ignorance is Bliss- Of course the number 1 reason is just plain old ignorance. Here's talking to you Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, John McCain(although we've pretty much won him over), Jim Lampley, Bernard Goldberg and pretty much every old boxing enthusiast or Fox News analyst. The number 1 reason these people hate MMA is that they've never watched it! Its like saying you hate a movie without watching it. These idiots have it engrained in their little minds that this sport can have no redeeming factors, no grace, no skill, and no intelligence, the fighters are just bar room brawlers. All old time boxing enthusiasts and all Fox News analysts can stick it because believe me when I tell everyone that it is they who have no redeeming factors, no skill and most of all no intelligence.
Now I'm not saying MMA is for everyone, its not, there are people that will not watch anything violent, but just because you don't watch it doesn't mean you can't respect it because these are elite athletes just like baseball and football players and they put it all on the line every time out for us fans. If you aren't into MMA, that's fine, but hopefully its not for one of the reasons above