View Poll Results: Who is the best Ultimate Fighter Coach?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck Liddell

1 3.13%
  • Randy Couture

3 9.38%
  • Matt Hughes

0 0%
  • Rich Franklin

0 0%
  • Tito Ortiz

18 56.25%
  • Ken Shamrock

0 0%
  • B.J. Penn

1 3.13%
  • Jens Pulver

2 6.25%
  • Matt Serra

7 21.88%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Ultimate Fighter Coach

Best:

1. Tito by far.

B.J. did good, and Serra did okay too.

Worst:

Easily Ken Shamrock, he was terrible!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Shamrock.

golf is better than mma.

Gegard Mousasi- 25-2-1

"However great the kindness and the efficiency, in every hospital death there will be some cruel, squalid detail, something perhaps too small to be told but leaving terribly painful memories behind, arising out of the haste, the crowding, the impersonality of a place where every day people are dying among strangers"

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    If you judge a student by the coach...Hasn't Serra had two guys that were completely smoked? His first boy that quit on him on the show and with this season his other boy got KO of the century as it was put by Rampage. That is a bad way to justify a coach.
    Who is justifying by how they did or finished?... Did I miss a post? The last show was a perfect example of the attitude of a coach and the type of environment you create. Hughes sole reason for showing his fighters anything was so the HE could win in an indirect competition vs Serra... Serra was happy to rub his wins in Hughes faces but it's more than obvious that he cared about his fighters first and foremost. He even went into the other locker room to congratulate the fighter on the other side... It seemed less of a competition with Serra and more about getting his fighters prepared which to me = good coach.

Jen and Tito did the same in my opinion.

Regardless of how your fighters do, knowing that you have prepared them the best that you can and supporting them win or lose is what makes you the better coach.

If you want to measure by student to qualify a coach, see how a fighter listens, adjusts, or enacts a strategy... but a record or the end result shouldn't be the end all be all metric.
    Last edited by ninjastix; 04-14-2008 at 01:53 PM.

In the words of legendary MMA Superstar Phil Baroni, Ken Shamrock was the best coach EVA!!!!!

I lost a lot of respect for BJ by the way he talked about his fighters after they lost. Meanwhile, Jens gave respect to guys like Wayne Weems who probably shouldn't have been on the show in the first place.

BJ had the better team: Lauzon, Maynard, Wiman, Emerson. Plus the semi-finals favored his team. The two factors that seem really important for TUF: cardio and camaraderie, were lacking in his guys.

I'm not taking anything away from Penn as a fighter, but I don't think being a coach on TUF did him any favors.
    "What we learned here today
    is that fighting is not
    what we thought it was"

-JIM BROWN at UFC 1

Quote Originally Posted by ninjastix View Post
    woah woah... what he does in his own camp is not the show...

And yeah I'll agree he got the lower end of the evaluations but he still had talent (Gray Maynard and Joe Lauzon)...

I don't think he did as well as he could as a coach, I think he made it more about himself vs Jens where Jens seemed more concerned with improving his fighters...

What you do on the show is not necessary reflective of what you can or do do off the show... so I'm not calling Penn a horrible coach but even you can admit Palma he's not #2...
    My mistake... I thought that's what you were implying.

He trained his fighters properly, he helped them all gameplan, and he corner coached them to perfection... his fighters simply didn't follow their gameplans or listen to him in the ocatagon.

As far as what a coach should be doing I would say he is number 3 for sure... as far as getting your fighters to buy in to your coaching methods I would say he is number 3 as well.

I thought Jens did a great job. Penn pulled a very classless move in the beginning of the show and Jens just rolled with it took the guys he got and turned them into a team.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleChoke View Post
    Tito and Matt Serra were the best coaches on TUF hands down. This shouldnt be a matter of opinion either. Anyone who disagrees with those 2 guys is just wrong plain and simple...

Thats basically what I was thinking. Jens was really good too, and incredibly patient because he had a bit of whining on his team.

For my money, Jens Pulver and Matt Serra were 1A & 1B, mostly because of the respect and interest they took with their guys. Both seemed to care and worked to build each other up. You could say that Serra was a defacto coach on TUF 4 also, and he helped alot of those guys out well too. From the articles / blogs about Serra's guys on the show, they all love him and he had actually talked a few of them out of dropping their camps to come train w/ him. Pulver was much of the same.

Tito did an outstanding job with outstanding talent, and its he looked so much better when matched up w/ Ken who didn't do shit for his fighters but break their spirits. Guys like Tait Fletcher were likely ruined by Ken's attitude. At least Ken gave us all a constant reminder of who had "the hammer".

The first 2 seasons w/ Rich, Randy, & Chuck are kind of a washout because all of those guys (at least the memorable ones) came from established camps and we didn't get to see alot of coaching sessions.
    CAUTION: This poster is prone to outbursts of unthinkable obscenities. If you encounter one of these incredible tirades, please do not provoke him further. This poster has been known to place himself, and his foes in a position to be banned. The best way to avoid such incidents would be to avoid stating anything negative about Jake Shields.

Tito did a great job... honestly kendall grove isn't that good but he improved a lot from the start of the show to the end. Ed Herman should've easily won but obviously he didn't.

Thread Information