View Poll Results: Who is the best Ultimate Fighter Coach?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuck Liddell

1 3.13%
  • Randy Couture

3 9.38%
  • Matt Hughes

0 0%
  • Rich Franklin

0 0%
  • Tito Ortiz

18 56.25%
  • Ken Shamrock

0 0%
  • B.J. Penn

1 3.13%
  • Jens Pulver

2 6.25%
  • Matt Serra

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Ultimate Fighter Coach

Default Best Ultimate Fighter Coach

MMAWEEKLY has a poll up for voting on the best Ultimate Fighter coach. Tito Ortiz has the most votes with BJ Penn a close second. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by thecoylewis View Post
    MMAWEEKLY has a poll up for voting on the best Ultimate Fighter coach. Tito Ortiz has the most votes with BJ Penn a close second. Any thoughts?

Why would BJ be second? That has to be solely for his popularity as a fighter and not by the way he did his job. Especially with the hissy fit he threw over Wang (which was funny but kinda unnecessary).

Tito and Serra seemed like the most involved coaches in terms of wanting to make their fighters 100% better. They both seemed to want to improve their fighters as much as possible, instead of just having them win.

Top 5 I got:

1. Tito
    2. Serra
    3. Jens
    4. Rich (before he came up with the whole "start the fight on a downed knee" thing)
    5 Chuck
    Last edited by ninjastix; 04-14-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjastix View Post
    Why would BJ be second? That has to be solely for his popularity as a fighter and not by the way he did his job. Especially with the hissy fit he threw over Wang (which was funny but kinda unnecessary).

Tito and Serra seemed like the most involved coaches in terms of wanting to make their fighters 100% better. They both seemed to want to improve their fighters as much as possible, instead of just having them win.

Top 5 I got:

1. Tito
    2. Serra
    3. Jens
    4. Rich (before he came up with the whole "start the fight on a downed knee" thing)
    5 Chuck
    What are you talking about? Penn was a great coach... he just got stuck with a bunch of shitty guys because Jens fucked him with the evaluations. He brought in a great staff, he taught them good technique, and he was a great corner coach. Just because most of his guys lost early doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach.

He easily has the best camp in the islands and it has all to with him being the main the instructor for the jiu-jits and the coach for their MMA team.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjastix View Post

Top 5 I got:

1. Tito
    2. Serra
    3. Jens
    4. Rich (before he came up with the whole "start the fight on a downed knee)
    5 Chuck
    I agreed with that about BJ. I'm a big fan of his but he didn't have any fighter make the finals. That has to count for something. I have them like this:

1. Tito
    2. Matt Hughes (he got off to a slow start the second time around but Danzig did win it all and really guided Rashad when he was forced to corner him even though him and Rashad didn't like each other. It shows great character to train a fighter that you told publicly you were glad he wasn't on your team.)
    3. (As much as it pains me, Serra. (He got off to a great start and had a great rapport with his fighters but none made the finals)
    4. Rich Franklin
    5. Jens Pulver
    6. Chuck
    7. Randy
    8. BJ Penn
    9. Shamrock

The 3 best in no particular order imo: Ortiz,Serra,and Bj.

Worst by far: Shamrock

WAR Stamos!
    Who the fuck is Shogun???

because having a fighter in the finals indicates how good the coaches are. ha

Ken Shamrock put a guy in the finals, but BJ did not. i guess Ken is a better coach ha.

fucking idiots still only judge people by results because they dont know shit about the game
    Favorites
    HW: Cro Cop | Barnett | Gonzaga
    LHW: Rampage| Shogun
    MW: KANG | Sakuraba | Spider Silva | Baroni | Akiyama
    WW: Thiago Alves | GSP | Mach
    LW: Gomi | BJ Penn | Aoki | Jamie Varner reppin' AZCS | DIDA
    FW: KID

9-7 in sig/av bets

Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    He easily has the best camp in the islands and it has all to with him being the main the instructor for the jiu-jits and the coach for their MMA team.
    woah woah... what he does in his own camp is not the show...

And yeah I'll agree he got the lower end of the evaluations but he still had talent (Gray Maynard and Joe Lauzon)...

I don't think he did as well as he could as a coach, I think he made it more about himself vs Jens where Jens seemed more concerned with improving his fighters...

What you do on the show is not necessary reflective of what you can or do do off the show... so I'm not calling Penn a horrible coach but even you can admit Palma he's not #2...

I like all the love Ortiz is getting for being a good coach. He usually gets dogged out in these forums. It's a start.

I think BJ did a good job. I also think that Serra and Tito did a good job because they were focused on making their counterparts look like crap...They did a good job but I think there were motives.

If you judge a student by the coach...Hasn't Serra had two guys that were completely smoked? His first boy that quit on him on the show and with this season his other boy got KO of the century as it was put by Rampage. That is a bad way to justify a coach.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

TriangleChoke Guest

Tito and Matt Serra were the best coaches on TUF hands down. This shouldnt be a matter of opinion either. Anyone who disagrees with those 2 guys is just wrong plain and simple...

honorable mention to BJ Penn and Jens Pulver

Thread Information