Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Serra vs. GSP **Spoilers**

Default Matt Serra vs. GSP **Spoilers**

So Matt Serra lost and lost bad. That should set up the Hughes-Serra fight right? What do you think the UFC will do? Should they immediately do the rubber match to milk this rivalry for one last drop? Or should they let Serra and Hughes get their rivalry settled?

In my opinion, if they want to milk the rubber match, they need to do it right away. Don't risk letting Serra fight someone else because if he loses to someone else, the luster of the rubber match is lost.

BUT . . . what I want to see happen is for them to make the Serra-Hughes fight happen next because I want to see Hughes go out on top and retire. I don't want to wait another year for this fight to happen. Personally, I think the Serra-Hughes fight would be a good co-main event at MSG. They could have the GSP-Fitch bout as the main event, with Serra-Hughes as co-main event. Say September, October.

God I hope this fight happens. After all the trash talking Serra did....after having such a beefed up sense of self-worth from getting lucky with GSP... and then getting HUMILIATED tonight; I want to see Hughes beat the rest of the cockiness out of Serra. And Hughes needs to do it since Serra can't open his mouth without saying "Hughes is a dick this" or "Hughes is a dick that". Please let this fight happen.

Sounds good and all but GSP vs Fitch shouldn't main event something like that.

GSP vs Anderson, Penn or someone like that would be a better suit for that kind of stage.

Hughes vs Serra is pretty much a must right now. But if Hughes wins, he isn't going to get another title shot. So i think it would be better if Serra got someone and Hughes got someone, then GSP Serra 3, then Hughes vs Serra.

Thats just my thinking though.

ChuckBooty Guest

I think Hughes is close to retirement and really has no desire to fight GSP again. I think Hughes/Serra then (win or lose) Hughes gets inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame (maybe even at the same event as GSP/Serra 3).

Serra loses to Hughes and I think he needs to get out of the welterweight division and drop back down to lightweight. I know he loves his pasta and everything...but he's too small. GSP looked like a monster compared to him.

gsp did exactly what i was hoping he would do. take down serra and grind him until his cardio runs low. gsp used his cardio advantage and there was no way serra was gonna stuff his takedowns. serra did stop 1, maybe 2, i cant remmeber. but pretty much gsp had his way with him.

serra is still a good fighter. i mean look what gsp did to hughs. serra is a tough guy. im still interested in serra vs hughs. i still think hughs woulda win by decision, but u never know.

i think the next logical fight for serra is to make him fight Hughs right away. he doesnt really deserve an immediate rematch. Then if he beats hughs they can hughs vs st.pierre 3.

if hughs wins have him fight karo, then if he wins i dunno lol, i dont think he should fight gsp again.

Hughes / Serra is a must.

Hughes and Serra both aren't going to be around long enough to play a waiting game. If you want to keep Serra / GSP a possibility, Dork's idea is right, but it would need to be a shorter than normal layoff both everyone involved.
    CAUTION: This poster is prone to outbursts of unthinkable obscenities. If you encounter one of these incredible tirades, please do not provoke him further. This poster has been known to place himself, and his foes in a position to be banned. The best way to avoid such incidents would be to avoid stating anything negative about Jake Shields.

i dont care what anyone says, Serra looked better against GSP then Hughes did! Hughes/Serra needs to happen now and i hope Serra kicks his dumb ass!!!

"For years Iíve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think Iím gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

Serra-Hughes should happen first. The rubber match is pointless, after the rape that took place today, I doubt GSP would have any trouble with Serra ever again.

In fact; GSP-Fitch and Serra-Hughes should be on the same card in late August, maybe September.

If all goes well, you headline UFC __: _____ in December with GSP-Penn (assuming they both win their matches this year).

Quote Originally Posted by Dork8503 View Post

GSP vs Anderson, Penn or someone like that would be a better suit for that kind of stage.

Hughes vs Serra is pretty much a must right now. But if Hughes wins, he isn't going to get another title shot. So i think it would be better if Serra got someone and Hughes got someone, then GSP Serra 3, then Hughes vs Serra.

I agree Dork but I think they would rather just have Hughes and Serra wait awhile as opposed to fighting cans. Hughes is up there in age, the long wait would probably do more good than bad at this point in his career. As for Serra, he never fought that frequently in the UFC anyway. He fought once in 05, once in 06, once in 07, and so far once in 08. Don't be surprised if Serra GSP 3 isn't until sometime in 09. Sometime in the summer of 09 is UFC 100. Don't be surprised either if that event is at MSG.... and St. Pierre Serra 3 is a co-main event.

The WW division is too stacked right now to commit to the rubber match. I think GSP defends against two, maybe three others before fighting Serra again. The UFC will be very careful with how they book Serra in the meantime.

Hughes will fight one or two more times at the very most. He wants Serra, he will get that. The other possible fight for Hughes is Penn 3.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, itís a fun thing to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dork8503 View Post

I do agree with it needs to be a bigger main event than GSP-Fitch but the UFC is probably going to give Fitch his shot against GSP next. I also don't think Hughes is worried about another title shot. I think he has one more fight in him, and that's Serra. I think he pounds Serra and retires. He's proven all he needs to as far as the title goes.

As for GSP, I don't see anyone at Welterweight that would beat him. It's a sad state of affairs in that division in the UFC. Diego, Karo, Kos, Fitch, Alves, all are solid fighters, and somewhat entertaining. But do you really want to see any one of them and GSP in a main event that you have to pay 45 bucks to see. I see GSP holding that belt for a long time if he stays with the UFC. There is that rumor floating around that he leaves. We'll see. I also don't see a Serra-GSP III. I think unless they give Serra an immediate rematch without him fighting anyone else, he loses again and that wouldn't put him in line for a title shot. Remember, it isn't like Serra climbed the ladder to the first title shot. He was a mediocre fighter at best when he won TUF 4. Maybe TUF 9 or 10 will be the Comeback again and he can beat a bunch more has beens. The way I see it, he has to fight Hughes right away but if they have him fight Diego, Kos, or Alves, he gets the same treatment.
    Last edited by hunterkiller; 04-20-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Thread Information