+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What boxers can do MMA?

Question What boxers can do MMA?

The MMA are full of Wrestlers, Jujitsu guys, and Kickboxers that switched to MMA. Are there any promising Boxers that took up some grappling and are doing MMA? I know of Vitor Belfort for one, but I don't believe he had any kind of a successful boxing career. Are there any boxers that are out there that could switch to MMA and be successful?

Butterbean is in MMA as well, and im still shocked that he submitted 3 guys.

I think Tyson would fit well in MMA if he were younger, I mean Tank Abbott made a career outta knockin guys out and he has more losses then wins, Tyson could knock guys out in MMA easily.. some of the more athletic boxers could transfer as well.. IMO Boxers are in better shape then a lot of MMA fighters, they seem to be stronger, and just all around more fit.. so a lot of them would probably suceed in MMA.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    I think Tyson would fit well in MMA if he were younger, I mean Tank Abbott made a career outta knockin guys out and he has more losses then wins, Tyson could knock guys out in MMA easily.. some of the more athletic boxers could transfer as well.. IMO Boxers are in better shape then a lot of MMA fighters, they seem to be stronger, and just all around more fit.. so a lot of them would probably suceed in MMA.

I think your afro is killing off your brain.

Nothing like a short heavyweight to suck things up, and that would be Tyson. If you have a reach maybe, but Tyson reach is so bad needs to close the distance before he can hit, he would be fighting alot on his back.

Wrestlers who do some boxing make better fighters.

And boxers are in no way better shape, grapple with someone for 5 minutes and see how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_Man
    I think your afro is killing off your brain.

Nothing like a short heavyweight to suck things up, and that would be Tyson. If you have a reach maybe, but Tyson reach is so bad needs to close the distance before he can hit, he would be fighting alot on his back.

Wrestlers who do some boxing make better fighters.

And boxers are in no way better shape, grapple with someone for 5 minutes and see how you feel.
    You obviously have problems with other peoples opinions, maybe you should stop using forums until you gain some maturity.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Thats ok Homey peace out

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    Butterbean is in MMA as well, and im still shocked that he submitted 3 guys.

I agree that boxers seem to be in better shape and have good fitness, but I also think that most of them take a better punch than MMA guys. A lot of MMA guys go down from jab-hooks!

Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    I agree that boxers seem to be in better shape and have good fitness, but I also think that most of them take a better punch than MMA guys. A lot of MMA guys go down from jab-hooks!
    ya they do, but thats pretty much there nature.. they take hits and give hits, where as MMA is a lot more then that, but I still see a lot more MMA guys out of shape then I do Boxers but thats mainly in the UFC.

I heard that Chris Byrd has a blue belt in BJJ. I don't know if it's true or not. If it is that matched with his south paw stand would give him a good chance in MMA. Better than most boxers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    The MMA are full of Wrestlers, Jujitsu guys, and Kickboxers that switched to MMA. Are there any promising Boxers that took up some grappling and are doing MMA? I know of Vitor Belfort for one, but I don't believe he had any kind of a successful boxing career. Are there any boxers that are out there that could switch to MMA and be successful?

Vitor Belfort couldn't make Brasilian olimpic team so you're right. He's gone back to boxing now, but in his first match was unimpressive against a no-name.

It will be a long time before we see any boxers switch to MMA, simply because boxing is more lucrative. Wherether you're champ, gatekeeper or a steping stone you'll make more money in boxing.
    Only exceptions are guys over the hill, like Ray Mercer and Botha, who have had some succes in past and still can draw some attention to MMA, particulary from boxing fans.

actually vitor is a terror in his pro boxing fights. all his fights were combined for less than 5 mins.

look out LHW theres a new vitor belfort, or should i say the old vitor

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information