Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What boxers can do MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    Butterbean is in MMA as well, and im still shocked that he submitted 3 guys.

I think Tyson would fit well in MMA if he were younger, I mean Tank Abbott made a career outta knockin guys out and he has more losses then wins, Tyson could knock guys out in MMA easily.. some of the more athletic boxers could transfer as well.. IMO Boxers are in better shape then a lot of MMA fighters, they seem to be stronger, and just all around more fit.. so a lot of them would probably suceed in MMA.
    Butterbean don't coutn his record is bullshit. the matchs can only stay in the ground for 15 seconds, thats why i said he was a pussy. its like if Marcelinho were to go into MMA asking for the match to be started in the ground after 15 secs

everyone says tyson ,but tyson was never really that good.he was extremely over-rated he never beat anyone good.every time he faced an opponent with any real skill he lost-holyfield,buster,lennox,that big white guy recently.tyson sucks balls and would get beat up in mma.

Quote Originally Posted by nsb7873
    actually vitor is a terror in his pro boxing fights. all his fights were combined for less than 5 mins.

look out LHW theres a new vitor belfort, or should i say the old vitor
    http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=352247

Are we talking about same person? I'm talking about guy who beat Wanderlei and Tank in UFC, he has only 1 profesional boxing fight and it was at HW(link above).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish
    http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=352247

Are we talking about same person? I'm talking about guy who beat Wanderlei and Tank in UFC, he has only 1 profesional boxing fight and it was at HW(link above).

i'll find the site, but i believe it was 4pro boxing fights, but i may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure Vitor just had his pro boxing debut a couple of months ago.

IMO the reason why there are not as many boxers in MMA is because boxers just don't hang that well against Wrestlers, JJ guys, and Kickboxers. There style of fighting is a disadvantage when they have to face one of those other disciplines. Sure you might have the skill to throw a good punch but how is that gonna help you when a wrestler is shooting in for a takedown, or a JJ guy is trying to choke you out, or a kickboxer keeps you at bay with leg kicks.

I also dont buy the thing about endurance. I coach wrestling and have a kid thats a really good boxer on my team. The kid gassed for the first month of practices and gassed a lot during matches that are only 6 mins long. Its one thing to be standing and throwing punches, its another thing to have to grapple with a guy thats your wieght and try to throw him around while he trying to do the same to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore
    IMO the reason why there are not as many boxers in MMA is because boxers just don't hang that well against Wrestlers, JJ guys, and Kickboxers.
    Vs kickboxers they do well - look at what success mentioned over-the-hill guys had in K1. But vs grapplers you're right, it would require much bigger adjustment that there simply isn't a finicial motivation to make.

I think you have to take the boxer's intelligence into consideration as well. In my opinion a younger Oscar De La Hoya or Bernard Hopkins could have done very well at 155 or 170, respectively, because they would have been smart enough to crosstrain in other styles, and learned how to keep the fights standing.

actually boxers don't do too good in K1, they are usually damaged by the leg kicks. Botha is just at times doing fine after years of learnin the K1 strategy. other boxers have been dominated very easily

tranistioning from boxer to MMA is very tough, people dont realize. the gloves are much smaller which makes it harder to evade and block punches. boxers are used to using the much larger gloves as part of their defense. In MMA even their stand-up is highly damaged cuz of the change in defense. they dont realize they basically have to eat many of those punches semi blocked if the handspeed to beat the other guy to the punch is not there. counter-punching is also affected

if you wanna see how boxers straight from boxing do in k1 go look at bojansky vs ray mercer and watch what happens when remy throws a high kick
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

Thread Information