+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF hits new ratings low

Default TUF hits new ratings low

May 1, 2008
    TUF 7 Rating - Week 5

MMAPayout.com has learned that this week's episode of the Ultimate Fighter on Spike drew a 0.9 rating (1.2 million viewers). The program drew quarter hours of 0.84, 0.91, 0.92, and 0.98. In the key demographic numbers were a 1.11 in M18-49 and a 1.34 in M18-34.

That is the lowest number is series history and continues this season's downward trend. However, the program was facing competition from the NBA playoffs.
    MMAPayout.com: The Business of MMA: TUF 7 Rating - Week 5

So much for the "revitalized" new season of TUF.

Can't say I'm surprised. It's the same thing week after week. I've been saying it for years, bring back those games and team building activities from the first sason!

I think the problem is that the fighters we are seeing aren't as entertaining coming out of the program as they were when it first aired. In addition to format changes I think the show needs something else - what I don't know. Look at the fighters who have made it to the finals in the first two seasons versus the rest:

Diego, Florian, Forrest, Bonnar, Stevenson, Cummo, Imes, Evans

Grove, Herman, Bisping, Haynes, Serra, Lytle, Lutter, Cote, Diaz, Gamburyan, Danzig, Speer

So in the first two, we have Cummo and Imes who haven't gone on to do fantastic things.

Of the later group we have Grove who is about to be cut if he loses his next fight, Herman who is an undercard fighter, Bisping who is doing well, Haynes is gone, Serra will be around for a while as he is well liked, Lytle is starting to do well, Lutter cut, Cote is just starting out, Diaz and Gamburyan are fantastic, Danzig while good is kinda boring in interviews and Speer is very green.

I look forward to seeing the 6 guys from the first two seasons much more than the guys from the later group. Diaz, Lytle, Serra, Gamburyan and Bisping are the only ones I look forward to watching fight.

And not to discount the guys in the house right now, but none of them have shown me anything that makes me want to actually watch them fight again.

I think the best thing for the UFC is to do something similar to the Comeback season, only use it with people who are in title contention. Basically use the show to be a tournament. I could easily see a good season of LW, WW, and LHW who would make for an amazing show. Imagine having all of the following in one house in a tournament style for a title shot: Clementi, Diaz, Edgar, Gamburyan, Griffin, Guida, Huerta, Lauzon, Maynard. You can't tell me that wouldn't be exciting to watch. Or how about the LWs of Alves, Burkman, Goulet, Hazelett, Koscheck, Lytle, Neer, Parisyan, Sanchez, Swick.

I can't see new blood so to speak help bring the ratings back up any time soon.
    Don't censor me bro!

I dunno, this Season (and given, I haven't watched every season) is really boring compared to the rest.

I mean, Rampage reminds me a lot of Shamrock. Like, what the hell is he doing as a coach?

He is a better coach than Shamrock, by a mile... but Rampage even is kind of like, "What the hell am I doing as a coach?"

Forrest seems to be all about his fighters winning, but doesn't want them taking any risks to finish a fight (last night he did it again.. You got 15 seconds.. just hold the position)... Maybe he should have done that against Shogun in their fight.. Gonzaga should have done that against Cro Cop... Hughes against GSP... etc, etc.

The fighter quality is really going down. There are tons of guys outside of the UFC who they could pull in... I feel like every season should take the TUF 4 concept.. only take experienced fighters.

If you haven't fought more than 6 times, then you shouldn't be on the show.

I am almost to the point of tuning out to be honest. Maybe it is just time for this show to be put on the shelf.. at least for a while. Seven Seasons isn't a bad run lol
    Last edited by Ramma; 05-02-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebwit View Post
    I think the problem is that the fighters we are seeing aren't as entertaining coming out of the program as they were when it first aired. In addition to format changes I think the show needs something else - what I don't know. Look at the fighters who have made it to the finals in the first two seasons versus the rest:

Diego, Florian, Forrest, Bonnar, Stevenson, Cummo, Imes, Evans

Grove, Herman, Bisping, Haynes, Serra, Lytle, Lutter, Cote, Diaz, Gamburyan, Danzig, Speer

So in the first two, we have Cummo and Imes who haven't gone on to do fantastic things.

Of the later group we have Grove who is about to be cut if he loses his next fight, Herman who is an undercard fighter, Bisping who is doing well, Haynes is gone, Serra will be around for a while as he is well liked, Lytle is starting to do well, Lutter cut, Cote is just starting out, Diaz and Gamburyan are fantastic, Danzig while good is kinda boring in interviews and Speer is very green.

I look forward to seeing the 6 guys from the first two seasons much more than the guys from the later group. Diaz, Lytle, Serra, Gamburyan and Bisping are the only ones I look forward to watching fight.

And not to discount the guys in the house right now, but none of them have shown me anything that makes me want to actually watch them fight again.

I think the best thing for the UFC is to do something similar to the Comeback season, only use it with people who are in title contention. Basically use the show to be a tournament. I could easily see a good season of LW, WW, and LHW who would make for an amazing show. Imagine having all of the following in one house in a tournament style for a title shot: Clementi, Diaz, Edgar, Gamburyan, Griffin, Guida, Huerta, Lauzon, Maynard. You can't tell me that wouldn't be exciting to watch. Or how about the LWs of Alves, Burkman, Goulet, Hazelett, Koscheck, Lytle, Neer, Parisyan, Sanchez, Swick.

I can't see new blood so to speak help bring the ratings back up any time soon.
    The tourny isn't a bad idea but I think it would be hard to impliment. These guys a mainly "known" fighters by casual fans, which is a good thing, but at this point in their careers I think they'd be wanting more then $5,000-$10,000 for a win on the show. And with the loosers getting nothing..... it woudl make more sense for these guys to go fight in a smaller org simply for the paycheque.

I see your logic though, I think it would be a great way to sort out the divisions with too much talent and get some order happening.

I used to hate the challenges, but compared to the shit they use to fill out the hour now, I would welcome them back. But it would be cool for them to actually base challenges on real-life shit, like sports. So maybe while there are still 12-14 guys left, you make one challenge a basketball game, or football, or something like that. All I really remember from the challenges is them playing some stupid game of bum darts in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    The tourny isn't a bad idea but I think it would be hard to impliment. These guys a mainly "known" fighters by casual fans, which is a good thing, but at this point in their careers I think they'd be wanting more then $5,000-$10,000 for a win on the show. And with the loosers getting nothing..... it woudl make more sense for these guys to go fight in a smaller org simply for the paycheque.

I see your logic though, I think it would be a great way to sort out the divisions with too much talent and get some order happening.
    I think if the UFC allowed the fighters to still have their sponsors, then they would be willing to do it. And besides the $$ issue, most of these guys know that they need a lot of luck to suddenly become the #1 guy. We can debate all we want who is next in line for a title shot, but if there was a small tournament like TUF then there would be little doubt as to who it is.
    Don't censor me bro!

Quote Originally Posted by smoogy View Post
    I used to hate the challenges, but compared to the shit they use to fill out the hour now, I would welcome them back. But it would be cool for them to actually base challenges on real-life shit, like sports. So maybe while there are still 12-14 guys left, you make one challenge a basketball game, or football, or something like that. All I really remember from the challenges is them playing some stupid game of bum darts in the pool.
    I actually liked the challenges. yes some were retarded but that would atleast get the guys working and thinking as a team. Now the show has turned into "watch group A train, interviews, watch group B train, interviews, people at the house lounging around and getting on each others nerves, someone snaps and gets made at someone else, weigh-ins, fight" Almost EVERY show!

They just need to get original ideas for the challenges. I remember an early one where they had guys carrying large cases of water up flights of stairs (I think Forrest won that one). Stupid yes, but it gave us people to cheer for, we got to see who had some heart and desire to be there.

I think Forrest has been acting like a tool on the show. The thing people used to like about him was his sense of humor and he seems to have lost that completely. He is ultra serious and even when his fighter won a few shows ago he said something like "You underperformed but you still won" I'm not sure maybe Forrest just thinks he is amazing and his egoexploded.

Rampage is still a joker and thats what the show is supposed to be entertaining not a coaching competition the fighters in the show are mostly experienced except a few so forrest or rampage aren't going to be taht influential so lets have some entertainment.

After seeing the season so far though i have lost interest in Forrest and gained it in Rampage. I mean he is the champ and a humble dude and he is hilarious. I hope Rampage knocks the funny back into Forrest when they fight.

idk, i still like the show so far. season 1, 3, 5 and 6 were good due to the fact that the coaches also had a built in rivalry...season 2 the coaches were friends and the season sucked. obviously Rampage and Forrest aren't friends, but they have no interaction what so ever. something needs to spark where these two start shit talking and fats...i know its about the fighters ultimately, but its not called 'Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest' for nothing. the belt should not have been held up for this and that sucks.

also none of these fighters are characters. they're all fairly annoying, and not in a good way if you catch my drift. especially Dante Rivera, talked a load of shit and put on a horrible fight against a guy with far less experience then himself. the guy Creuder did the same thing, well experienced and still had a hard fight against someone who he should have beaten easily. its hard for fans of the show to get behind guys like that. i have faith it'll get better though, but only time will tell.

and still UFC Undisputed LHW Champion...Rampage TKO Rd 3

"For years I’ve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think I’m gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information