Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Looking for a new Gi

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,906

    Default Looking for a new Gi

    Hey guys. I am looking to pick up a new Gi, but this is the first time I am ever buying one (previous one was supplied through the school). Like I said, I have never bought a BJJ gi before, so I figured I would get some advice from you experts.

    I am not in dire need of a new one, but I want one. The gi I have is in good shape, but I would turn that into my spare. More than anything, having two gis will be easier on wear and tear, and having to clean them so much.

    I am looking for something under $100, but that will be well worth the money. I don't want something with lots of logos or any shit like that. Just a plain gi, preferably in red or blue.



    Note: Noob, or anyone else. If you want to merge this with Gi Review, feel free. I figured this didn't necessarily belong in there.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Well I went on a gi search myself about a month ago and your not gonna find anything for under 100, and colored gi's cost more then white. I first gi was a gameness and that ran me about 120, but it was a pretty solid gi. If your looking for under 100 I would check ebay thats prob your only option.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booska21 View Post
    Well I went on a gi search myself about a month ago and your not gonna find anything for under 100, and colored gi's cost more then white. I first gi was a gameness and that ran me about 120, but it was a pretty solid gi. If your looking for under 100 I would check ebay thats prob your only option.
    Not true. There are several places you can get a good quality blue BJJ gi for under $100. My personal favorites are HCK and Fuji.

    Blue HCK single weave gi ($80 + $15 shipping): HCK BJJ KIMONOS

    Blue Fuji BJJ single weave gi ($77.95 + free shipping): DISCOUNT MARTIAL ARTS SUPPLIES & UNIFORMS

  4. #4
    TriangleChoke Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Hey guys. I am looking to pick up a new Gi, but this is the first time I am ever buying one (previous one was supplied through the school). Like I said, I have never bought a BJJ gi before, so I figured I would get some advice from you experts.

    I am not in dire need of a new one, but I want one. The gi I have is in good shape, but I would turn that into my spare. More than anything, having two gis will be easier on wear and tear, and having to clean them so much.

    I am looking for something under $100, but that will be well worth the money. I don't want something with lots of logos or any shit like that. Just a plain gi, preferably in red or blue.



    Note: Noob, or anyone else. If you want to merge this with Gi Review, feel free. I figured this didn't necessarily belong in there.
    http://forums.mmanews.com/grappling-...ew-thread.html

    i have an atama gold weave gi...it cost me 130 when i bought it, but now i believe they are around 150 but it's well worth it. the gold weave gi is real thick and tough like the double weave, but it's lighter than the double. i love my gi..its very durable but i dont sweat too much when rolling. if i were you i'd pay the extra dollar for a gi that will undoubtedly last a LONG time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWW View Post
    Not true. There are several places you can get a good quality blue BJJ gi for under $100. My personal favorites are HCK and Fuji.

    Blue HCK single weave gi ($80 + $15 shipping): HCK BJJ KIMONOS

    Blue Fuji BJJ single weave gi ($77.95 + free shipping): DISCOUNT MARTIAL ARTS SUPPLIES & UNIFORMS
    I've been in the bjj game for a long time and there is no way your gonna get a quality Gi thats gonna last for under 100, its just not gonna happen, I would save up an extra 50 and get a koral thats my personal favorite.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booska21 View Post
    I've been in the bjj game for a long time and there is no way your gonna get a quality Gi thats gonna last for under 100, its just not gonna happen, I would save up an extra 50 and get a koral thats my personal favorite.
    It's a bit too early for me to tell how long my Fuji is going to last since I haven't had it very long, but there are very few gis out there that are as durable as an HCK. Even the HCK standard single will outlast the majority of the higher priced gis. I have three HCKs and they are built like tanks. They put my over-priced Atama to shame.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ValÚncia, Spain
    Posts
    8,679

    Default

    Under $100 for a very nice gi could be a bit tough.



    That being said, if having the top-of-the-line is not what you're going for, $100 will easily get you a very decent gi.



    My recommendations for under $100:


    HCK
    Fuji
    Padilla&Sons
    Sirius (might be right on the edge of $100).



    Fuji is good, though not excellent. Great for the money. HCK is very good, though I don't personaly care for the cut of the gi. If you have long limbs, probably not the gi for you.


    Padilla&Sons I have no personal experience with, but have heard good things and their prices are nice. (MatRat Martial Arts Kimonos and Training Supplies).


    I have heard almost universally good reviews from Sirius. The prices are good, though not insanely cheap. If I had some money to throw away, it would probably go to them.



    If you're in the market for an exotic gi, GroundForce makes a hemp gi that runs about $100 including shipping. I have one, it's fairly lightweight, the fit isn't perfect. But, to each his own.



    Hope that helps.

    Wibblywobblywonder

    14-4 Sig Bets

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,906

    Default

    Sorry to kind of go back on the under $100 thing, I know everyone gave me some advice.. but I figured I would just put like 2 extra hours next week and get a gi 130 and under.

    I was thinking along the lines of what some of you guys said.. I am buying a new gi so it will last me a little longer and I will have a back up.. so I might as well get a quality one.

    I kind of forgot I even did this thread lol.


    What about $130 and under? I wish I could just talk to my BJJ instructor about it.. but he is pretty busy these days with fight prep and stuff. I haven't seen him lol

  9. #9

    Default

    Ramma- To help us out a bit more, what are qualities you are looking for in your next gi? You mentioned you wanted a quality gi that will last a while, but do you have a preference in weave type, weight, cut, etc.? If you are just looking for a quality gi that will last a while IMO HCK wins hands down. I bought my first BJJ gi (Krugans) in 1997 and have owned and seen MANY different brands/styles in the past 11 years and have yet to come across a gi that gives you more durability for the buck than HCK. A little more specific info will help because in the end an HCK (or Padilla, Vulcan, Koral etc.) might not be for you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    ValÚncia, Spain
    Posts
    8,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Sorry to kind of go back on the under $100 thing, I know everyone gave me some advice.. but I figured I would just put like 2 extra hours next week and get a gi 130 and under.

    I was thinking along the lines of what some of you guys said.. I am buying a new gi so it will last me a little longer and I will have a back up.. so I might as well get a quality one.

    I kind of forgot I even did this thread lol.


    What about $130 and under? I wish I could just talk to my BJJ instructor about it.. but he is pretty busy these days with fight prep and stuff. I haven't seen him lol


    $130 and under gives you a lot more wiggle room in terms of choices.



    Popular gi's at that price range:


    Atama
    Koral
    Keiko Raca
    Sirius



    Probably a few more I'm forgetting. Each gi has its own set of qualities. HCK will probably outlast any of those, but it's fit isn't for everyone.


    Atama tends towards a fit for slightly taller people, though I'm not lanky by any means and mine fits me fine. Koral should fit an average build person, but they are generally regarded as being overpriced. Atama as well, though a bit less so.


    Keiko Raca I tend to hear either really good or really bad things about. They do shrink a lot when you first wash them, so keep that in mind. They are definitely fitted for longer, leaner body types.



    Those are your big name gi's, but there are dozens of other brands worth looking at if you're willing to take the time.


    http://www.mkimonos.com/ is a good brand, though a bit out of my price range.





    A good website resource would be Joker's Jiu-jitsu Kimono & Gi Reviews



    Lots of gi reviews and information. Both for specific brands as well as gi's in general.

    Wibblywobblywonder

    14-4 Sig Bets

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •