Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Dolce speaks out against TUF; says fighters trained and fought drunk

Dolce is completely right. If the sport needs to be dragged through the mud by assclowns on TUF in order to generate hype, recognition, and revenues, then its just not worth it.

I would rather keep MMA out of the mainstream if this is the price to pay.
    A mind is a terrible thing to taste

Quote Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
    If they took out the alcohol and the house drama the show would not serve its purpose. Which is to get the fans emotionally attached to the fighters so that they follow their carreers and which in the end boost ppv buys and ratings once they do get the t.v. deal.

Not sure I'm getting your point. I understand the drama attached to one of the guys, but the alcohol isn't part of the equation. Maybe I'm alone here, but I didn't watch those guys get drunk and kick down the bannisters and put holes in the walls and say to myself "there's my guy right there, that one throwing the chair at the wall...damn he's cool, I'm going to start following his career right now and never stop". Sorry, not me. I hate every guy that was doing it. I won't watch the next TUF if the UFC doesn't announce some changes. No Bible? Are you kidding me? I cannot watch a show that will not allow someone to bring a Bible with them to read in their spare time off camera if they choose. I guarantee you that if you remove the alcohol from the show you'll see more drama. Tensions will be higher and the guys will be more focused. The ring would be used for taking out agressions and not the walls. I don't see what happened to the house being entertaining to anyone outside of a frat house or a trailer park. Anyone that pays a mortgage and works 60 hours per week to get the best house they can for their family is not amused by the lack of respect shown in a home that is not your own.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

I haven't watched the show 100%, but if Dolce is the guy I think he is, this is the one that was beaten by Jessie no?

I decided to really not watch the show this season for many of the reasons that Dolce is listing. But I was listening to a report not to long ago that alcohol, sleep deprivation, and general isolation are common practices by producers of reality shows. They are tools producers use to generate friction, over-emotional responses, and drama... and surprise surprise, they don't (producers that is) see themselves as having any shred of moral or ethical responsibility for the "choices" that their "stars" make...

You have to remember that the Ultimate Fighter is a reality show first. If you like reality shows then you should have no problem supporting or condoning this sort of behavior since it's to be expected to generate some sort of controversial excitement. If you're looking at the show as a test of the purity of a trained fighter...

..while the potential is there, it certainly isn't being pursued, and if it is realized then it has to be a testament to the will of that fighter.

In the end they're looking to make "good TV" and not "ultimate fighters"... remember that the final brackets are chosen by Dana on what he feels will "make the best fights"... and while I'm not Dana bashing you might assume that he has his own Idea who he wants in a finale and pushes the bracket that way...

Futher illustrating that the show is a tv production, nothing more, many of you have seen better amateur fighters but they may not have the personality clashes or desire to make an ass of themselves to land a spot on the show... I haven't been impressed with this season, my personal favorite was the Lightweights with BJ and Jens, getting to see Manny, Nate, Joe, and Gray display some real talent, some real hunger to fight and win... But even that was marred but the stupidity of Gabe and even a little of Andy's shortcummings...

I figure the best way to go about protesting that I am really disinterested with seeing a bunch of drunk, obnoxious guys beat on their chest and destroy their lavish surroundings after losing in relatively embarassing fashion, is to just not watch the show...
    Last edited by ninjastix; 06-06-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

- Stephen Hawking

I agree with Dolce, but know that none of his changes will be made because ratings would tank if that were the case. Now, I may not have made it clear with quite a few members but I am pretty anti religious, however, I found that part about Dolce not being able to bring his bible with him to read completely absurd. I mean honestly, what the hell is up with that?

Didn't Diego Sanchez get to read a bible in the first season?

I haven't given much thought about TUF after the season with BJ in it, because of the antics listed above. That stuff got old really fast. I think that bores me more than anything on the show and that's supposed to be the rating boosters for a reality show. I don't want to come off like an ignorant asshole though, but most of the fighters on this show just flat out suck IMHO.

I mean, isn't there times where you actually wish you were in the octagon fighting in their place for a brief moment after watching them fight sometimes? This comment really goes for guys that have been training in the arts for years and such. Other than that, these guys are warriors for having the balls to get into the cage in the first place.

But whatever, I am only going to tune in to the show just to see fighters like CB and people among his skill level duke it out in the octagon. Goddamn I love my DVR.
    Last edited by Jellypig; 06-06-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
    If they took out the alcohol and the house drama the show would not serve its purpose. Which is to get the fans emotionally attached to the fighters so that they follow their carreers and which in the end boost ppv buys and ratings once they do get the t.v. deal.
    I think it's a lowest-common-denominator approach, and it's weak.

They could generate just as much drama by showing fighters families, by showing the little kids the mini-rampage dude [I forget his name...Gerald?] has to feed so viewers know how much is hinging on each fight for the fighters, and/or all of the other family backstory for the rest of the house.

They could show more training in an attempt to [gasp] educate the viewers on healthy workouts and nutrition, and show fighters successes and failures in the gym. I'm probably a minority, but I'm going to be more attached to a mediocre fighter who is giving 110% in training to better himself than some guy who just coasts...or gets shitfaced and wrecks the house/pisses in someone elses bed/upper-deckers/etc. Even if the guy doesn't win the show, his work ethic should propel viewers to follow his career.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

They could generate just as much drama by showing fighters families, by showing the little kids the mini-rampage dude [I forget his name...Gerald?] has to feed so viewers know how much is hinging on each fight for the fighters, and/or all of the other family backstory for the rest of the house.

rh
    Yeah. I agree that more drama would be caused without the beer since that would be another thing the guys couldn't do. Can't escape reality when you aren't shitfaced.

They could show more training in an attempt to [gasp] educate the viewers on healthy workouts and nutrition, and show fighters successes and failures in the gym. I'm probably a minority, but I'm going to be more attached to a mediocre fighter who is giving 110% in training to better himself than some guy who just coasts...or gets shitfaced and wrecks the house/pisses in someone elses bed/upper-deckers/etc. Even if the guy doesn't win the show, his work ethic should propel viewers to follow his career.
    I agree 100% If that is part of the minority then I'll gladly be a part of it. Gotta spread my rep around before I can hand it out again..

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    I agree wholeheartedly and rep'd on both your points. I would much rather them show the fighter in their own enviornment, learning about them and their family, and what their lives are about than seeing them get drunk, act like idiots and trash a house nicer than ones we could ever hope to live in.

Even though the Tapout guys are over the top, I actually like their show better because it puts you in the gym with the guys and shows what the guys go through to get where they are.

Thread Information