+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gilbert Aldana vs. Cheick Kongo added to UFC 61

Default Gilbert Aldana vs. Cheick Kongo added to UFC 61

A Heavyweight Explosion is Coming on July 8Related News

By Thomas Gerbasi

Every fight fan likes a good heavyweight scrap. Well, on July 8th, you’ll love the matchup of big men when French sensation Cheick Kongo makes his UFC debut against always exciting Gilbert Aldana at UFC 61, which will be held at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

“This is an honor for me as it's the ‘place to be’,” said the 6 foot 4 Kongo about his first visit to the Octagon. “Aldana is a very good opponent and I will train hard and focus to prepare for him.”

A freestyle fighter with a Muay Thai base who trains out of Paris’ Fimeu Gym, the 31-year-old Kongo is a fierce striker who is always looking for a knockout. That choice of words would also be apt in describing the style of Phoenix’ Aldana, who thrilled fans in his first UFC bout against Paul Buentello at UFC 57 in February, rocking ‘The Headhunter’ a number of times before succumbing via a second round stoppage.

Needless to say, it wouldn’t be wise to leave your seat for this one.

Tickets for UFC 61 are going fast, and may be purchased by clicking here. The UFC is also holding a special auction for UFC 61 floor seats in the first six rows of the Mandalay Bay Events Center. For info, click here.

I guess that the Fight Finder has his name wrong:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterid=2193

I swear to christ. I'm getting sick of logging onto UFC.com and seeing announcements about completely unknown heavyweights. And not only unknowns, but there not even really prospects. It's just like well, here's two guys that weight 220 or more, we're trying to build our Heavyweight division. My ass you're trying. They're making money hand over fist and they can't even get one or two Heavyweights. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they got Anderson Silva for MW, I'm glad they got Royce for the super fight, I'm glad they're getting Lightweights back. But you're taking off and your Heavyweight division is a bigger joke than boxing's Heavyweight division. Spend a fucking dollar or two and get yourself a Heavyweight. Heath Herring is messing around in K-1, go get him. Something, anything.

I'm at home messing around doing nothing. I'd fight on the next card for a plane ticket and a case of IC Light.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

He weighs the most out of everyone on the forum and now he's putting himself in the UFC? LOL

Hahah, I figured that talking about MMA with you guys pretty much makes me a black belt in BJJ and a world class wrestler at least. With a lot of the heavyweights the UFC has around I'm pretty sure most of them don't have any formal training either.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information