Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grappling Org (modeled after MMA orgs)...

Default New Grappling Org (modeled after MMA orgs)...

A guy I train under at times created a Grappling org that is basically modled after MMA orgs with the glammer and hype that surrounds it. It's a cool idea although I think it has a way to go, although he said he has some marketing and promotion support from fighters like Penn, Shields, Marceilo, the Diaz Brothers, Robert Drysdale, Rizzo, etc... they aren't competeing because they are all fighting MMA and they are way beyond the compeition at this point.

Anyways, I thought it might be good for people here who might be interested in competeing or who care to follow the event. The event will be broascasted live online for the advanced division...

It's kind of a neat idea really; they are going to have an event in the US, Brazil, Pourtugal, and Japan. And then all the winners are going to fight in a championship event in Hawaii.

The event in the US is in a few weeks and I will be competing although there aren't many people signed up for it... I do know the guy who is putting it on is well known in the BJJ and Grappling world (took second this year in the Pan Ams World Championship for the Purple belt division) especially in Brazil, so there could end up being allot of good fight to be had in the Championship event in Hawaii.

Here is the link:

revised index page
    Last edited by Palma; 06-24-2008 at 04:47 AM.

I'm involved in another new org out here in California (Grappling Experience, LLC.® - Grappling Experience, LLC.® (Official Site)). We already have had one tournament and it went VERY well. We'll be in Fresno next, Escondido, and San Diego respectively. We have picked up some pretty good sponsors too.

Here's a review of our first event:

A Saturday Full Of BJJ
    By Robert Greer
    I woke up last Saturday morning bright and early to head to San Diego. The only challenge for me is I had planned to spend the day at a pretty big BJJ Tournament;the Grappling X Submission Grappling Tournament in National City, CA.

My boy Hedi of MMAFANATICS.COM fame and I showed up at the tournament around 10:00 in the morning, after and hour and a half drive of ranking on each other, reminiscing at my days as a conquer of nations at Camp Pendleton, and clutching in fear of my seat belt as a passenger to a half blind driver.

We were meet by two lovely ladies greeting us and stating that we weren't on the list, (thanks Shawn), but was waved in anyway do to my boyish charm. The United States National Guard gym full of the humid heat of competition welcomed us the moment we entered as competitors of all ages warmed up for a day full of grappling.

The grappling was better than expected. The double elimination tournament with approximately 200 competitors was a tour de force of excitement with great matches in all six mats. That was pretty much it for the first half of the tournament; good fights and some unmentionable drama. The highlight for me was seeing the juniors, little kids under ten. Girls, boys, children of all races, seemed to have one half of the gym fixed on them, no egos, no bravado, no fear, just pure doing what they've been taught and executing moves in the best possible fashion. One stand out won his division via, armbar from the mount, rear naked choke, and yet another armbar, (somewhere Rickson smiled).

As for the adults, slams, leg and ankle locks, RNC's and armbars were prevalent, along with timed decisions. You know it is coming. The pieces are in place and you know the tap is inevitable. And when a black belt has it keyed in, get ready to tap fast and do not expect muscle out. Respect the arm bar. It is a good idea to understand where you are in your training, because setting up certain, not all, expectations will allow you to fight at a higher level. If you train every class and give it your all, you can expect that after a few months, you are in pretty good shape. That expectation will allow you to fight a little harder when you roll, without the need to mentally save your energy for the next fight, or the next, or the next. You expect your body to perform.

There was some amazing matches throughout the day by those who have lived this way of training, put on by a fine promotion. One thing that impressed us the most was how smooth and organized the event was ran. Shawn, Cory Cass and the rest of the Grappling X staff did a phenomenal job. I am eagerly looking forward to the next Grappling X Submission Grappling Tournament. As for the results...

Teams
    1st Place
    San Diego Throwdown Elite

2nd Place The Fight Lab

3rd Place
    San Diego Fight club

As Grappling X did, we would also like to give special thanks to The National Guard for allowing the use of their facility. The guardsmen were nothing but professional throughout this entire endeavor.
    http://www.mmafanatics.com/news/article/?nid={2B4C3BBE-C5AC-4330-B582-42644C33D678}

MONSON will be all over this i bet.
    Go without a coat when it's cold; find out what cold is. Go hungry; keep your existence lean. Wear away the fat, get down to the lean tissue and see what it's all about. The only time you define your character is when you go without. In times of hardship, you find out what you're made of and what you're capable of. If you're never tested, you'll never define you character.

sounds awesome, i wish i could compete !

what's your name palma? haha im looking at list of people competing for the upcoming king of mountain event

Fav fighters: Kid Yamamoto, GSP, Shogun, Fedor, A.Silva, Bj Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    sounds awesome, i wish i could compete !

what's your name palma? haha im looking at list of people competing for the upcoming king of mountain event
    It's Aaron Martinez, but I haven't signed up yet... I don't know if I'm going LW or MW yet. I have a week to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    It's Aaron Martinez, but I haven't signed up yet... I don't know if I'm going LW or MW yet. I have a week to decide.
    LW or MW? What are the weight classes and why such a drastic weight difference between your two options?

Who wants cream? Nobody? Ok, no cream.

This is a very interesting idea. I hope it works out and become successful.

Captain America!!!
    8/9/2008 WAIT FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by strife View Post
    LW or MW? What are the weight classes and why such a drastic weight difference between your two options?
    The LW cut off is 162 lbs and MW is 175 lbs... I have been eating what ever I want and I have been drinking beer everyday and I am up to 167 lbs right now... The event is 2 weeks from Sunday and next week is the 4th, so I will probably be eating BBQ and drinking that day. I do have a marathon at the end of next month and I have to sart training for that so I might drop the weight just by running allot. And, there are almost no competitors (1 so far) in the Adult/beginner/Light division so they will probably consolidate a bunch of weight classes and age groups within the experience levels anyways... so I will probably fight the same 2 or 3 guys any weight I come in at.

But what it comes down to is early registration cut off is on the 4th, so I can just see how much I weight next Friday and see how many people are in what divsion and register accordingly.

I just don't want to freak out the week of the tournament over losing 2 or 3 pounds... sometimes the weight comes off easy and sometimes it sticks to me when my body freaks out from not eating enought fat and exercising too much.

I plan on training allot next week and running anyways, so I might drop the 5 pounds by then... we will see.

So will this be a gi or no-gi competition?

Captain America!!!
    8/9/2008 WAIT FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct View Post
    So will this be a gi or no-gi competition?
    This is strictly no-gi.

Thread Information