Thread: BJJ in wrestling

Default BJJ in wrestling

Are there any good BJJ moves that would work well in a High school type wrestling match, the season is slowly making its way here, and i need to improve my wrestling record from last year with stuff i basicly DO know, but dont know if it is legal..... in case you were wondering my record for wrestling last season, its a lame and shamefull 8 wins and 17 losses lol

There is a switch that Anderson did to Nate Marquardt that I just learned in class the other week, it translates well to no gi.

None of the gi work is going to translate all that well, but no gi standup is clearly going to roll over to wrestling standup and vice versa. I'm not sure what you can do throw wise in wrestling since I wrestled so long ago. You might want to ask your coach what kind of throws are legal but I feel like if you can do a head&arm takedown in wrestling you should be able to do various sorts of hip throws. But then again, those are really hard to set up and the give your opponent your back if they don't work. Plus side, they are almost a guaranteed pin if they land.

Who wants cream? Nobody? Ok, no cream.

Quote Originally Posted by strife View Post
    There is a switch that Anderson did to Nate Marquardt that I just learned in class the other week, it translates well to no gi.

None of the gi work is going to translate all that well, but no gi standup is clearly going to roll over to wrestling standup and vice versa. I'm not sure what you can do throw wise in wrestling since I wrestled so long ago. You might want to ask your coach what kind of throws are legal but I feel like if you can do a head&arm takedown in wrestling you should be able to do various sorts of hip throws. But then again, those are really hard to set up and the give your opponent your back if they don't work. Plus side, they are almost a guaranteed pin if they land.
    Thanks......
    for someone who knows judo, i tried a tomoe nage throw and got a sucessful pin, but only worked that once.

I'll have to rewatch the Marquart vs Silva fight again to see for sure

Basicaly, a few sweeps could get you off your back but other than that i have no clue,,, sorry

There is nothing in BJJ that is going to help you in wrestling besides the basics of side control or maintaining mount, but obviously wrestling will teach those basics better then BJJ will...

The best way to get good at wrestling is to practice wrestling.

Just go to a camp it will make you a better wrestler. Arm Drags work.

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by pa99fighter View Post
    Just go to a camp it will make you a better wrestler. Arm Drags work.
    Yeah, i went to a camp last Friday and learned more in 3 hours then i did in 4 mounths

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious_Thunder View Post
    Yeah, i went to a camp last Friday and learned more in 3 hours then i did in 4 mounths
    Yeah. Champions are made in the offseason

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

I would say no... the few moves that would help with wrestling, switches and what not are already wrestling moves that most people know. Most sweeps are done off your back, which is the last place you want to be in a wrestling match. If I were you I would just do wrestling camps and offseason clubs and tournys.

I would suggest the Granby Camp in VA, Gene Mills Pin 2 Win and I think its called Mitch Clark's extreme leg riding camp... not totally sure on the last one.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Thread Information