Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is is wrong with the snowman's game plan?

In a spam free, scam free, and fraud free environment

Default What do you think is is wrong with the snowman's game plan?

If you could talk to Jeff Monson to tell him what to do to be the next heavyweight champ of the UFC...what would you say to him to help him improve his chances of winning and keeping the title?
    Last edited by #1taz; 06-08-2006 at 01:24 PM.

This is a great question,

I tend to think that his biggest problem is his height, he is billed at 6' which is short compared to Syvia and AA, but I have the feeling he is not even that tall.

I would probably tell him to train Boxing and conditioning, first and foremost, then BJJ. All of the above against tall training partners.

JMHO

Well he's still winning as of now so I wouldn't say his gameplan is wrong, although anyones can be improved on. If anything I would say he should hope for a title fight with anyone other than Sylvia. The height advantage would just completely screw him over.

And I agree with Rhino, boxing and conditioning.

His biggest problem is his reach & anyone taller than him like Sylvia for eg will jab until he could sent in the bombs.

I think he's got to find a way to get close to the big fighters without taking too much damage, so probably wrestling.

im pretty sure he has some pro boxing fights under he belt and we all know hes very good on the ground. the only thing he need to work on is how to get inside if hes fighting sylvia if hes fighting AA i think he wins easily and if hes fighting sylvia if he can get inside he should win. the good thing will be having 5 rounds because we saw in the Sylvia vs Silva fight in the third silva was starting to get to tim but with two more rounds it makes it a little easier.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

Like the others said, nothing really wrong with his gameplan. He has good boxing skills with a very good ground game. He just happens to be 5'8" or around there and pretty much all heavyweights are over 6' with a reach advantage, so it's hard for him to get inside. With that being said he hasn't lost in his last 15 fights, so whatever he's doing is working.

Ya I agree with everyone else, the guys reach is the problem.. small dude but fiery fighter. He'll have to take a guy like Sylvia to the ground, I dunno how strong his chin is and how it would hold up against AA but I think he can handle either AA or Sylvia but I would like to see Monson vs Vera.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

if you watched the pe de pano fight you saw that cruz kept monson away with a pretty weak jab and cruz is just starting the striking game so that shows you the problem. someone with a decent jab like sylvia could be able to keep monson away. like i said though when he fights either it will be a 5 rounder so that gives him help. its a lot harder to keep a guy away once it gets into the 4th and 5th rounds.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

In a spam free, scam free, and fraud free environment

I agree with you all...he has to work on getting in close with the taller guys without getting jabbed to death.

His ground game is good and so is his standup...but being a shorter stockier guy with a shorter reach than most guys in his weight class makes it tougher for him.

But the man does have the power and speed to give them all one hell of a rough 5 rounds if he doesn't get punched too much or run out of gas.

Apparently ATT has been keeping him out of any fights for now and is training him hard for a return to the UFC in early july.

They should get him some big tall partners that know how to bang to spar with....and work hard on his cardio.

If he figures out how to get past the taller longer-armed guys that like to throw a lot of jabs...the snowman could be a real force to deal with.

Monson is a boring fighter his best shot would be to work on power punching . To even consider him as a future contender is sad. Thats what the HW divison has came too. I guess.....

Thread Information