Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva wants superfights

HammerFist Guest

Default Anderson Silva wants superfights

- ANDERSON SILVA WANTS SUPER FIGHTS - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

Since making his debut in the Octagon, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has never hand picked an opponent. He has never turned down a fight. He even moved up a weight class to be a part of a main event for a special live televised event. And after facing Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in Chicago, Silva is looking for the biggest fights possible.

Being considered among the best pound for pound fighters on the planet always puts Silva’s name in the hat when fans and journalists alike start matchmaking the dream fights, pitting the Brazilian against everyone from Georges St. Pierre to Chuck Liddell.

His manager, Ed Soares, spoke to MMAWeekly Radio recently and feels that Anderson Silva will be a part of many of the biggest fights fans will ever see.

“I think he wants to fight those big mega fights because that’s the kind of fight we want to be involved with right now,” he said about Silva’s future fights. “I think it’s a combination of seeing what the potential opponent is and also seeing what the UFC wants to do. At the end of the day, this is a business, and they need to sell fights. They need to sell a lot of pay-per-views, and they need to sell tickets. So, we want to be involved with those types of fights.”

One name in particular that has been rumored for months is former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell, who is arguably the most well known fighter in the sport today. While Silva’s focus is solely on Patrick Cote, a fight with Liddell is one he would accept.

“We’re not looking past Patrick Cote, but I think we’ll take one step at a time and see what happens. But yeah, if a Chuck Liddell fight came up, we’d take it,” stated Soares. “Whoever the UFC wants to put in front of us, he wants to fight the best, and whoever that may be at the time, that’s who he wants to fight.”

The timing for a year-end super fight involving Silva may work out as well. As Soares explained, he was originally going to fight Yushin Okami at UFC 88 in Atlanta, but an injury forced the Japanese fighter off the card.

This latest match-up with Cote will take place towards the end of October, but barring any injuries, the “Spider” won’t close the door for the possibility of another fight in 2008.

“If the right fight was to come up for the New Year’s fight, maybe we would take it,” said Soares. “Right now it’s really hard to say, we’re pretty much just focused with Anderson on the Oct. 25 fight.”
    I cant say i can think of a more exciting match up than Silva vs Liddell, Dana and Joe Silva will be sitting somewhere twiddling there thumbs thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post

I cant say i can think of a more exciting match up than Silva vs Liddell, Dana and Joe Silva will be sitting somewhere twiddling there thumbs thats for sure.
    If Liddell beats Evans then he is going to get a shot at Forest. That imo is an inevitability if like I said he beats Evans. The UFC hype machine would get behind that fight in full force. The whole story line of Liddell being Forests coach on TUF 1 would make that a super fight in regards to revenue for the UFC.

HammerFist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    If Liddell beats Evans then he is going to get a shot at Forest. That imo is an inevitability if like I said he beats Evans. The UFC hype machine would get behind that fight in full force. The whole story line of Liddell being Forests coach on TUF 1 would make that a super fight in regards to revenue for the UFC.
    Agree fully, as Liddell has said recently he wants another crack at the belt then a possible move to Heavyweight could happen, i think i even read somewhere hes got another 3-4 years left in him, unless he starts dropping fights like shammy.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Agree fully, as Liddell has said recently he wants another crack at the belt then a possible move to Heavyweight could happen, i think i even read somewhere hes got another 3-4 years left in him, unless he starts dropping fights like shammy.
    Yup the UFC wants to push Liddell in the title picture asap bc of the angle with Forrest and the fact that he is only getting older so they want to squeeze every last dollar out of him as possible.

As fas as him moving up to HW is concerned I would not be shocked to see it bc of the lack of star power in the division. But I think there are plenty of match ups for him at LHW. Shogun, rematch with Wandy, and even a third fight with Rampage if he gets his shit together.

Lidell vs Silva would be cool, but in my honest opinion it would be a one sided beating with lidell getting tko/ko'd.

Two things. I'd rather see Liddell fight Anderson because it'd be a more casual fan friendly fight, 2 of the most dangerous fighters, throwing down in the center of the cage. Liddell-Forrest would be more Forrest picking Liddell apart with those leg kicks like Jardine did and I see Forrest winning a 5 round decision. With Liddell-Silva, someone's going down for the count.

Another reason I'd rather see Liddell-Silva first is that if you have Chuck beat Forrest, then that puts Silva-Liddell in either a title fight, or it ties the LHW title up for too long.

I'd rather see Liddell fight Silva in December and then let Machida, after he disposes of Thiago Silva, get his title shot against Forrest in January.

I think Silva is going to be watching what happens if Penn wins against GSP in January very closely. Even though Penn said he will go back and forth between weight classes, I am sure that Dana might say something else.

I don't see Silva's next fight at 205 being against Liddell. I think a Liddell/Forest match is next for Liddell as much as I don't agree with it if he wins against Evans. Here's how I would be hoping things would happen if I was Dana:
    Liddell beats Rashad
    Anderson beats Cote
    Thiago silva beats Lyoto
    Jardine beats Vera
    Liddell beats Forrest
    Anderson beats Lyoto
    Chuck beats/defends title against Jardine
    Andseron beats Okami
    Super fight between Anderson and Liddell is set up for June/July

Now here's what will probably happen:
    Liddell beats Rashad
    Anderson beats Cote
    Lyoto beats Thiago
    Vera beats Jardine
    Liddell beats Forrest (NYE or Superbowl card)
    Anderson beats Reese Andy (NYE or Superbowl card)
    LIddell and Anderson go into hidding as they are put on as the next coaches for TUF and both the 185 and 205 belts are in limbo for 9+ months as a result.
    Don't censor me bro!

Anderson's striking maybe too good for Chuck to handle, but wtf do I know.

I'd settle for either one of those fights. IMO I think Chuck could beat him. I'd have to take Silva over GSP.

Don't be scared homie.

Lots of sweet rumors flying around for that NYE card, unfortunately thats all they are.

But if half of the rumored fights get thrown on their, it'll be a sweet ass card and I can't wait!
    The only time it's acceptable to not make weight...

Thread Information