Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-1?

Punk Ass Guest

Default K-1?

I don't know if I forgot, or may be late, but is K1 still around? After Pride's demise, you would think they would pick up the pieces. If they're still in business of course.

assuming you're talking about k1 hero's, it dissolved and dream was born

theyre planning a grand prix . ramma posted a list of the finalists yesterday. they've been having events this whole time.
    Last edited by thefirm0; 08-29-2008 at 02:45 AM.

K-1 has two amazing events coming up on Sep 27 and Oct 1st. Bonjasky vs Le Banner should be FOTN.

Yeah they're still around lol

K-1 still around they disbanded their MMA division called "Heros" and joined with the old Pride guys to form Dream.

They just held an event.

Punk Ass Guest

Ok, thanks guys. They must have really lost some steam though because we would talk about K1 just as much as pride at one time. Obviously it was because of Heros.

Thumbs down

Well, there is a subforum strictly for K-1 and kickboxing

K-1, Kickboxing - MMA News Forums

It has certainly lowered in profile since the downturn in MMA popularity in Japan, but as far as I know they're still doing strong enough ratings that they will continue to air on television. On a local level, K-1 is still massively popular in many places around the world. they sold 25,000 tickets to their last event in Amsterdam if I recall correctly

Not sure if this helps but I think it's related. Thanks to Smoogy I just found another legit mma site.

From world-mma.livejournal.com about Ishii, former president to K-1 and now ex-con.

Ishii, who was sent to prison in 2003 on tax evasion and cash concealing charges (upwards of $10 million USD is suspected), is being released from prison, and it was officially announced by FEG head Tanikawa that Ishii is accepted back into business.

It appears he will be put back in charge of administration of the affairs of K-1.

Tanikawa states, "Ishii has not separated himself from the industry, and plans to manage K-1 and change the whole structure of Japanese MMA."

"I met him [he uses the term "director" like "boss] with a feeling like 'you must be really run down.'"

"and we spoke about a lot of things related to the future of K-1. I asked him on what seems like a daily basis what he believes as director that we should do for K-1's future. "

Excerpts:

"It wasn't that I was telling him my ideas, but more like I was listening to all sorts of ideas from the director."

"Now, this fighting world that started in 2000, and all the directions it's gone in, changes that have come, finally it feels like it has come to an end."

"But if we go back to the starting point of the world of MMA, I think we a new start can be made."

* Note: The financial troubles seem to stem from two factors - Yakuza and Mike Tyson. Ishii was so hellbent on having Tyson in K-1, up to $5M USD was spent secretly, and in the end, Tyson never appeared. Some blamed the fact that Tyson was a felon and was not able to get a visa to come to Japan.

More details on everything should emerge soon
    We are all one.

"...when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies – to be met not with cooperation but with conquest, to be subjugated and mastered."
    -Remarks of Senator Robert F. Kennedy to the Cleveland City Club, Cleveland, Ohio, April 5...1968

Quote Originally Posted by Submissionist View Post
    K-1 has two amazing events coming up on Sep 27 and Oct 1st. Bonjasky vs Le Banner should be FOTN.
    I cannot wait for this fight. I don't know who the hell to pick or how the hell it'll end. I guess i'm leaning toward bonjasky but i like lebanner a lot as well. I just wanna see em fight really.

Thread Information