Thread: Starting Muay Thai, questions

Default Starting Muay Thai, questions

I know this is better suited for the K-1/Kickboxing forum, but as I'm only allowed to make new threads here, it'll suffice. I just have a few questions that I was hoping some of you would be able to answer.

I'm going to be starting Muay Thai next week, really excited about that, something I've been wanting to do for awhile. So my questions are..

1) Is Twins a really good brand as far as gloves and shin guards go? Every review I've read on them has been positive, but I figured I'd ask and get some feed back from other people. It's the brand that's caught my eye the most, already have some stuff picked out, just haven't bought them yet.

2) Has anyone tried the Full Throttle Conditioning DVD from rosstraining.com? I'm going to be running every day and training twice a day for 4-5 days a week, but I really want to get my cardio up to an exceptional level, so I'm looking for something a little extra. Is the DVD worth it? Is it bogus? Does it help? Anything like that would be useful.

3) What's the best material to fill a heavy bag with? I've heard a few things. Sawdust, shredded clothing, ect.

4) Has anyone ever trained in Thailand? Obviously I'm not looking to do it any time soon, I'd like to train for 1-2 full years before considering it, but I'm completely in love with the idea of doing it.

5) Any tips or anything like that? What can I expect? I've been doing a lot of reading, but still, I like to hear from other people.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

1) Is Twins a really good brand as far as gloves and shin guards go? Every review I've read on them has been positive, but I figured I'd ask and get some feed back from other people. It's the brand that's caught my eye the most, already have some stuff picked out, just haven't bought them yet.
    Yes, Twins gloves and other products are used around the world by top fighters and I haven't seen any bad reviews so far.

2) Has anyone tried the Full Throttle Conditioning DVD from rosstraining.com? I'm going to be running every day and training twice a day for 4-5 days a week, but I really want to get my cardio up to an exceptional level, so I'm looking for something a little extra. Is the DVD worth it? Is it bogus? Does it help? Anything like that would be useful.
    Sorry I'm not familiar with it.

3) What's the best material to fill a heavy bag with? I've heard a few things. Sawdust, shredded clothing, ect.
    A lot of people will tell you different things, I think many materials can be used but a lot of guys fill their bags with torn up cloths etc, packing them tightly is the key. A load of old ass clothes will do the job if you cut them up into small pieces, just make sure its packed tight.

4) Has anyone ever trained in Thailand? Obviously I'm not looking to do it any time soon, I'd like to train for 1-2 full years before considering it, but I'm completely in love with the idea of doing it.
    I haven't been there myself but it would be great, if you decide you want to go some time the guys over at K-1fans have some great gym guides etc, and guys that could answer some of your questions.

(5) Any tips or anything like that? What can I expect? I've been doing a lot of reading, but still, I like to hear from other people.
    Cardio is a big deal in Muay Thai, you obviously already know this but running is a part of all Muay Thai fighters training schedules and getting up early to do so is a factor too, so they can fit another run in later on in the day and fit in bag/pad work between them, along with some rest. Of course it all depends on the level you are aiming for, thats a pro like schedule lol.

Good luck with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post

It's the only brand I've ever used and never really had a problem with it. It's also what the guys at my gym recommend and 90% use.

IMO, what Val said is best. As long as it's packed tight it works great.

5) Any tips or anything like that? What can I expect? I've been doing a lot of reading, but still, I like to hear from other people.
    I've trained in Muay Thai for about a year, but only have the time to go once, maybe twice, a week to training. Reguardless of how much you have been running, expect to gas. It's gonna happen. Until you actually get use to it, you get tired quickly. At least thats how it was for me.It's really fun though. A while back I wanted to get ni MMA which is why I started it, but now I just do it because it's something I like and because it's a good way to stay in shape.

Abuot training in Thailand, I think it would be awesome.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

I'll answer you in a similar format as everyone else lol

I use a lot of gear that is supplied by my school when it comes to Muay Thai (not so much with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), so I can't give a real review on the product. But I've never heard anything negative about Twins.

Like Val, I've never used it so I can't help you. Look up reviews on Amazon and such.

It really depends. Obviously the more weight you can get in there the better. The only problem with stuff like Sawdust and even sand is that if the bag breaks... know what I mean? Try to stick to something that won't make a mess.

My school is actually planning a trip to Thailand. I am not sure I will be able to go because it will be during the semester and I have college.

(5) Any tips or anything like that? What can I expect? I've been doing a lot of reading, but still, I like to hear from other people.
    It depends on what your instructor favors and when he introduces it to you. Some schools have it split up like levels. For example, you basically learn to kickbox and throw knees at one level, where as the next level you learn elbows and the clinch. Know what I mean? Others go right into all of it.

If you do a lot of knee and elbow stuff early on, make sure you have some ice packs. Don't be stubborn and tough it out. Just do it. Same thing goes for doing a lot of clinch work. Your neck will be sore as hell.

And of course, enjoy yourself.

Make sure to take your time when it comes to your knees and elbows. I went crazy n mine for a while when i started and when they began to develop points and change shape it was painful. I couldn't lean on anything for about a month. Take it as it comes and don't get over zealous. Also, glass bottles on the shins do help a bit, try that.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

You guys weren't kidding, first week so I'm just learning the basics, but it's pretty tough condition wise. I thought I was in good shape but I gassed pretty hard the first day. My legs and arms are sore, but I think this is going to take my cardio to a whole new level.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post

Ross trains a few boxers in my gym. His workouts are incredible.

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Cain Velazquez
    LHW: Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin, Rampage, Ryan Bader
    MW: Rich Franklin, Gegard Mousasi, Jorge Santiago
    WW: GSP, Carlos Condit
    LW: Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Nate Diaz

Thread Information