Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rubber Guard: Stop Hating

Default The Rubber Guard: Stop Hating

just curious what some of the grapplers on here think of rubber guard

Frem my experience, the Rubber guard and the Electric chair are easy to escape with sound fundamental Jiu-Jitsu.

I think the Rubber guard works great for MMA.

I've always found the rubber guard to be an incredibly useful tool. You just have to have the flexibility and the will to work with it. I use the rubber guard whenever it feels like a good time to use it. More than anything, because people don't usually know what to do with it. It helps with sweeps, or even setting up a submission. The rubber guard can be difficult to pull off unless you are really good at it and if your opponent doesn't fully understand it.

Is it the new wave of BJJ? No, it isn't... regardless of what Bravo, Rogan, etc. want to believe. It is simply ANOTHER tool... new moves... but it is still BJJ.

Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is almost half Judo/Half BJJ (even though it came before BJJ, it is just a good way to describe it). Japanese JJ really is its own martial art.

Rubber Guard is just a collection of techniques in BJJ, but it isn't a whole new form of grappling.

As I said, I like rubber guard and I think it is effective... but it hasn't reinvented the style or created a new style, only adapted the current style.

By the way, there is a new grappling social group. Join up - MMA News Forums - The Grappler's Club
    Last edited by Ramma; 12-07-2008 at 09:00 AM.

I'm very interested in his technique but still very new (7 months) to practicing BJJ. Being that flexibility is one of the few physical assets I have I feel like I should learn more about his style down the road - but I'm going to need someone in front of me demonstrating and correcting my fuck-ups. I thumbed through Mastering the Rubber Guard at Barnes and Nobles a few weeks back - it looks about as well laid out as a book can be, but I don't have a training partner anywhere nearby (have to drive 60 miles to get to class as it is)....and I don't think my fiance' would appreciate being subjected to sloppy gogo and twister attempts.

For what it's worth, the subject of Eddie Bravo/Rubber Guard has come up in discussion several times from my classmates and they all (mostly white to purple) seem fairly open to it - or would if they had the chance to train it. Never did hear my instructor (bb) chime in one way or another.
    "Waka Waka!"

i'm a pretty stocky build, at 6'0" and 215 lbs, with a background in wrestling. when i started doing jiu jitsu and mma, this is one of the first things i started trying out, after i saw a tutorial of bj penn using a gogoplata. i've gotten my flexibility to a point now (thanks to my countless attemped CC kicks ) where i use the meathook and mission control position regularly in control from the bottom. moreover, i love what bravo has done with no-gi JJ, and i really think it's a more practical art, and pays more dividends in my no-gi grappling (which is essentially submission wrestling) than traditional gi-jj does.

i must say though, i have to manually reach down and put my leg into place for the mission control position. watching eddie just fall onto his back and move his foot up to an opponant's ear is startling, and reminds me of the first time i saw bj penn throw on a gogoplata with no hands
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

for me rubber guard sets up everything. i love scrambles and am really hard to submit, so i try shit with reckless abandon. i almost always try for a gogoplata with no intent on getting it, but when my opponent tries to escape it's nothing to transition right to omaplata, armbar, sweep, force stand up, whatever your looking for. it's MY most useful tool, so yeah stop hating!!

Default Clip About Eddie Bravo & The Rubber Guard ft. Sotiropoulos & Rogan

YouTube - Eddie Bravo - The Truth About The Rubber Guard

very interesting clip. i personally think bravo is the man. he deserves all the respect in the world for the rubber guard. enjoy.

Fav Fighters
    LW - Sherk, Maynard
    WW - Sotiropoulos
    MW - Cote, Grove, Maia, Vitor, Kang
    LHW - Wandi, Shogun
    HW - Carwin, Velasquez, Mir

posted in the grappling section, but good vid

my bad, i didnt check

Fav Fighters
    LW - Sherk, Maynard
    WW - Sotiropoulos
    MW - Cote, Grove, Maia, Vitor, Kang
    LHW - Wandi, Shogun
    HW - Carwin, Velasquez, Mir

Quote Originally Posted by muscle_shark View Post
    my bad, i didnt check
    no problem, and do you have any opinion on the rubber guard?
    im still very new too only about a year into grappling but i have been using it to set up oma plattas really nicely and am wondering if it is something i should invest in.

Thread Information