Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on traditional Ju Jitsu?

Default Thoughts on traditional Ju Jitsu?

I've done Japanese Ju Jitsu for awhile and it's definately useful but I'm wondering if anybody here thinks it's a complete waste of time? In a real fight do you think it's useful?

Punk Ass Guest

Not nearly as pracitical or good as BJJ. It's not bad IMO, but the Gracies have spent almost a decade improving it.

Edit: I meant to say Century!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Punk Ass; 10-04-2009 at 09:17 PM.

JJJ isn't useless by any means, but I think you're better off learning Judo or BJJ than JJJ. You can make any martial art affective. You just have to learn how to take the best parts of it and adapt.

Moved this to the Grappler's Forum.

Punk Ass Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    JJJ isn't useless by any means, but I think you're better off learning Judo or BJJ than JJJ. You can make any martial art affective. You just have to learn how to take the best parts of it and adapt.

Moved this to the Grappler's Forum.
    I think that was one of the problems with Carlos Newton. His JJJ just wasnt good enough for the better grapplers out there.

Please define: Real fight

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is very effective as is BJJ but in a street fight you really want to avoid arm bars and pulling guard - I would suggest you train some form of stand up for that.

If you are talking competition fighting then its judo/bjj all day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training @ http://www.titanfighter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post
    Please define: Real fight

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is very effective as is BJJ but in a street fight you really want to avoid arm bars and pulling guard - I would suggest you train some form of stand up for that.

If you are talking competition fighting then its judo/bjj all day.
    I've told this story before on the forums but this is how I got into Judo...I was doing Kyokushin Karate for a few years, when I was 9 my dad wanted me to do Judo (as he's from the USSR he was a huge Sambo and Judo, but a submission wrestling fanatic overall). He took me to a Judo school ran by Boris Talis who is a great USSR Judoka and Sambo practitioner. I looked on the class with my dad and I kept saying "this is weird...why are they rubbing against each other" etc all that "that's so gay stuff"...Then after class my dad introduced me to the guy and said this is my son he doesn't get wrestling. Boris looked at me and said what are you going to do in a real fight? I got into a stance and attempted to throw a roundhouse kick, before my foot left the ground, he hip tossed me on my ass harder than i thought was possible...then he stood over me and said "imagine doing this in a street fight...ON THE PAVEMENT!" and I was hooked

I know what you mean but sometimes trying to do a hip toss in a confined space is difficult.

When I was younger I did Karate (too young to remember variant) but lost interest within weeks with all the extra steps you had to take to attack and also by the constant shouting from the teacher.

I dabbled in wing chun for a few months and really liked the small movement and impact shots.

In any street fight I would try to avoid having one in the first place. Failing that I would look to throw a quick few shots and get the hell out of there. The number of people who get stabbed or injured on the street is a great deterrant for me.

Since training MMA I haven't looked back as I feel it gives me the best of ground and stand up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Punk Ass Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post
    I know what you mean but sometimes trying to do a hip toss in a confined space is difficult.
    It's not hard to throw someone in the street at all IMO. Most people don't know how to avoid a throw, sprawl properly, or etc. I've seen dudes with no training at all slam the fuck out of people.

Doesn't have to be a hip toss used to get someone down, there are many different throws.

Agree that there are many throws I was thinking more along the lines of a crowd gathering around you and not having enough space to execute anything. I'm not convinced it would be my first choice either to throw and/or clinch? I've never had a street fight - I have had fights at school when I was younger and often if you ended up on the floor you were inviting head stomps...

i have no known experience in jjj... as i followed (probably the most common for americans) the path of being a wrestler who got into bjj for sub grappling, then into muy thai and boxing for mma out of that. i do use a few judo throws (and a whole plethora of wrestling suplexes/drags too).

what are the fundamental differences? i've seen the old kimura videos, but where do the goals differ in jjj from bjj?
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information