Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL RESULTS: Ed Herman vs. Rory Singer?

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    ive yet to see him do anything slightly impressive on the show
    but what about that high kick/knee/flailing leg-strike?

while, you can't really judge a fighter on their records, rory hasn't beaten anyone worthwhile. in his last four fights, he's only faced one fighter with a winning record, and lost (to dennis hallman). in fact, his last opponent, is 0-5-0. ed, on the other hand has beaten dave menne and nick thompson in his last two fights. ed definitely didn't look great in his fight against danny, but i'm pretty sure it was just a matter of ed underestimating danny (who even tito admitted was his weakest middleweight).

besides, who can get behind a dude whose nickname is "version 2.5?" he's not even skilled enough to get a full version number.

in what way was he more impressive , he is not worth the praise he gets not at all , but anyways we will find out thursday but im tellin you guy Rory is going to win.

Guys, not every fan knows as much as you do about the sport. Other than stats and shit, 90% of you talking shit have never seen Herman fight before TUF either. So to those who only have the TUF performances to go on, you have one fight a piece to judge them by. Ed fought maybe the weakest guy on the show and got rocked in the first 5 seconds by him. He went on to win by armbar with an arm that was begging to be hyperextended. Rory had to fight his way through and in terms of character, his opponent (he fought Soloman right?) was way more over on the show, which to the general audience means he's probably better (at least better compared to Abaddi, who besides the fag stuff with Hamill wasn't even shown on the show much at all until it was time for his fight).

And regardless, in polls you could ask a question "Does 2+2 = 4?" with options being "Yes" and "No" and out of 1,000 people you'd still get at least 100 votes saying "No."

Also with polls favortism comes into play. Watch an HBO boxing match back when they did online scoring, and watch a knockdown round get scored in reverse. Instead of 10-8 to the knockdown guy, you'd have a bunch of nut huggers voting 10-9 to the guy who got knocked down.

Immaturity is basically a one-word way to sum up the explanation for Rory's votes.

well im ready to see what Rory really has to offer
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

But regardless, Ed Herman is the favorite on the show he's been my pick from day one and the one fighter I knew by name more so than any other coming into this season. Rory Singer I actually heard of prior to this season too, but didn't know much about him as a fighter. I just know he's worked with other good fighters before in training and shit.

But anyways, Rory is NOT in the same league as Jason Thacker fighting skill wise. He might be in the same league as Diego Sanchez or Luke Cummo in terms of personality, but he's not the Jason Thacker of this season. That was Danny Abaddi or Ross Pointon. Rory is not as bad as everyone on here makes him out to be. He may not be great, but he's not embarassingly bad like everyone here seems to assume.

For whatever reason...what is the reason anyway his Sherdog fight finder stats? His goofy personality...why does everyone assume this guy is a joke of a fighter?

Ross Pointon is embarrasingly bad?

Dunno about that.. the guy fought a giant in Kendall when compared to him.

Rory on the other hand was a giant against Soly but he was still gettin slammed and punched in the face, I guess what im saying is I would like to see Rory do more then throw a lazy kick and hope it lands.. but if he is as good as you say he is then we should see that against Ed right?

well time will tell..
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

I'm not talking about Ross just based on his TUF stuff. Going in anyone who had heard of him knew he was pretty much a brawler who gets beat a lot. I had heard of him from the Cage Rage shows and had seen him a few times and knew he wasn't going to win the TUF tourney or even come close.

And I'm not saying Rory is as good as "I say he is" all I'm trying to find out is why everyone assumes he's a complete and total jobber. Not just an outmatched guy against Ed, from the beginning of the season I've seen the comparisons of Rory and Jason Thacker and really wonder where all that came from.

I already said I picked Herman in this fight, I picked Herman to win the whole show from day one, I just don't get why everyone acts like Rory is worthless. Where does it come from, the one fight with Hutcherson (that he won) or just him questioning himself on the show earlier in the season? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Boone
    I'm not talking about Ross just based on his TUF stuff. Going in anyone who had heard of him knew he was pretty much a brawler who gets beat a lot. I had heard of him from the Cage Rage shows and had seen him a few times and knew he wasn't going to win the TUF tourney or even come close.

And I'm not saying Rory is as good as "I say he is" all I'm trying to find out is why everyone assumes he's a complete and total jobber. Not just an outmatched guy against Ed, from the beginning of the season I've seen the comparisons of Rory and Jason Thacker and really wonder where all that came from.

I already said I picked Herman in this fight, I picked Herman to win the whole show from day one, I just don't get why everyone acts like Rory is worthless. Where does it come from, the one fight with Hutcherson (that he won) or just him questioning himself on the show earlier in the season? I don't get it.
    thats what I mean, you think that Rory isnt worthless and everyone else does.. well im saying that Rory has a chance to prove everyone else wrong and im ready to see it.. cuz I think hes worthless too im not gonna lie, from before the Hutch fight I felt he looked very slow, and out of shape.. then he enters the fight and all he did was a throw a lazy kick to a gassed fighter after getting beat for a whole round, so I dont think Rory showed much to prove hes anything more then a jobber just yet, but like I said hes got another chance to prove he is more.

Are you even reading what you're writing? I'm sitting here saying Herman is gonna blast him outta the water. I'm not defending Rory being a top contender or even a really good fighter. I simply want to know WHAT makes people think from one fight "this guy sucks as bad as Jason Thacker" Where does it come from? For you all you got to back it up is the one fight with Hutcherson. If that's how we judge someone off their first fight we see, then there's a lot of shitty fighters running around pretending to be good because even just on TUF alone we've seen guys look like shit. Look at Leben in season one. Couldn't do anything to Koscheck, comes back luckily and loses to who was it Florian with an elbow? Then he has a finale' fight against Jason Thacker lol. If people were judging fighters by their work and only their work on TUF, Leben would have been labeled a jobber right from the get-go. That never even came close to happening though. So why from one Rory performance, a WIN at that, is he labeled not only someone you don't think will beat Herman, not only someone you don't think will win the tourney, but by the way you guys talk is someone who doesn't even belong on the show anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Boone
    Are you even reading what you're writing? I'm sitting here saying Herman is gonna blast him outta the water. I'm not defending Rory being a top contender or even a really good fighter. I simply want to know WHAT makes people think from one fight "this guy sucks as bad as Jason Thacker" Where does it come from? For you all you got to back it up is the one fight with Hutcherson. If that's how we judge someone off their first fight we see, then there's a lot of shitty fighters running around pretending to be good because even just on TUF alone we've seen guys look like shit. Look at Leben in season one. Couldn't do anything to Koscheck, comes back luckily and loses to who was it Florian with an elbow? If people were judging fighters by their work and only their work on TUF, Leben would have been labeled a jobber right from the get-go. That never even came close to happening though. So why from one Rory performance, a WIN at that, is he labeled not only someone you don't think will beat Herman, not only someone you think will win the tourney, but by the way you guys talk is someone who doesn't even belong on the show anyway.
    you should ask yourself that same question, im saying that Rory can prove hes not as bad as Thacker in this fight.

and I dont think people are basing just on one fight, I think there basing it on everythign theyve seen from the show from him.. and there making an OPINION off of that.

If everyone thinks that everything hes done on the show merrits him to be as bad as Thacker so be it, im sayin if he comes out fightin against Ed im sure everyones opinion will change.
    Last edited by Afro; 06-12-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Thread Information