+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huerta signs new deal with UFC

Default Huerta signs new deal with UFC

- ROGER HUERTA SIGNS NEW DEAL WITH UFC
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

Popular lightweight Roger Huerta has apparently mended fences with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He signed a new five-fight contract on Monday with the industry leading promotion. Sources close to Huerta confirmed the deal to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.

In August, Huerta drew headlines for a controversial interview he gave to FIGHT! magazine in which he criticized the UFC’s pay structure. He later amended his comments during the post-fight press conference for UFC 87, where he lost a unanimous decision to Kenny Florian in a contender bout for the lightweight title.

“All I was saying, is that as a business decision – and you can’t argue about this – it’s in all businesses,” Huerta said. "If another company offers you something better for you and your family, you would do that. It’s the logical thing to do, and that’s all I was saying.”

Prior to the Florian loss, Huerta was undefeated in six appearances in the UFC since debuting at UFC 63 in September of 2006.

Huerta is expected to fight again in March, though no opponent has been named for his return. He is currently training in Minnesota with mentor Dave Menne and strength and conditioning coach Justin Heagan.

Huerta is also one of the dozen fighters that IGN.com has confirmed as being on the roster for the Spring 2009 release of the new UFC Undisputed 2009 video game being developed by THQ.
    {SOURCE}

I am fired up to see Huerta fight again, he is my favorite UFC lightweight.

A LOT of people jumped off the bandwagon following his loss to Florian, but when you realize that Huerta is the ONLY fighter to take Florian (top-7 LW in the world, who had won 7 of his last 8 going into that fight, all by finish) - to a decision and lose, you realize that this guy, while clearly not at that top level yet, is still DAMN good and certainly the real deal.

I didn't jump off the bandwagon and I am looking really forward to seeing him get back on the horse and seeing where he can take his career.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

Thank god I was thinking they would Arlovski him

Yeah I am happy to hear this. I think he is a very exciting fighter and has a tonne of heart.

I would love to know how much $ the contract was for.

I just can't force myself to be excited about this guy.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

Quote Originally Posted by jlruthven84
    I just can't force myself to be excited about this guy.
    Why brotha? You don't think he has an exciting style?

To me the guy is like a LW version of Forrest Griffin. Scrappy as hell, exciting as hell, all heart, well rounded as a fighter, and just keeps coming like the Terminator.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Default

I'm glad to see him still with the UFC. Just means more exciting fights for the fans.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Suprising, he seemed to be headed the AA route consider this guy usually has non stop media around him, and we hadn't heard anything about him since his loss.

He still only has average skills with a good heart though

8. 12-10-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by neonatural45
    He still only has average skills with a good heart though
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you a little bit there. I'd say well-above-average skills with a good heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you a little bit there. I'd say well-above-average skills with a good heart.
    I think on the ground he is all defense with minimal attack, and on the feet he is all offense with minimal defense. He has wrestling creds outside of mma, but in that division so does everyone else not named Spencer Fisher. When his opponents have wanted to fight him on the mat they have been able to do so, I'd like to see him and Pelligrino go at it becuase I think Kurt would control him.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    Why brotha? You don't think he has an exciting style?

To me the guy is like a LW version of Forrest Griffin. Scrappy as hell, exciting as hell, all heart, well rounded as a fighter, and just keeps coming like the Terminator.
    Exciting style, sure. But just like neo nat said, he just seems to have average skills combined with lots of heart and slick marketability.

He took a step up in comp twice. The first time, he was getting controlled by Guida till he landed the knee. Second time, he got completely outclassed and made a fool of by Florian.

Don't get me wrong, his fights are a hell of a lot of fun to watch. But until he has an impressive showing against someone of consequence, I just can't care that much.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information