+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takanori Gomi to think about why he fights

Default Takanori Gomi to think about why he fights

Takanori Gomi to think about why he fights
    Posted by Suki 01/07/09—12:31 AM

Takanori Gomi posted a message to fans in his blog on January 5.

“Thank you for your full support at Sengoku yesterday. I accept my loss because it was the result of the greatest possible training which I could have. When my leg is healed, I am going to take my time and think about the reason why I fight. Thank you very much for supporting me.”
    {SOURCE}

The Fireball Kid has been effectively doused in recent months, starting with getting submitted by Nick Diaz via gogoplata at PRIDE 33. He returned with an impressive TKO of Duane Bang Ludwig at Sengoku 1, but then won a rather dull, deliberate decision against DEEP lightweight champ Seung Hwan Bang followed by consecutive losses to Sergei Golyaev (decision) and Satoru Kitaoka (first round achilles lock).

I've always liked Gomi, and really hope that he is able to take a little time and rediscover that passion to set the world on fire. He is only 30 years old and still has at least a couple good years left; he has a good set of skills to build on to allow him to still be a big player in this sport.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

Gomi is my boy and I feel terrible ever time I hear he's lost, I almost feel like he's suffering from a lack of desire because he recently appears to just sleepwalk through his bouts. Love him nonetheless though.

it hurts me seeing an icon fall like this. having this lackluster-performances and losses show that the fireball-kid lost his fire. i dont think the sport has moved passed him, his skillset is still good enough to beat just about every lightweight on the planet. just think hes mentally not as focused anymore on MMA. and thats always dangerous when you have new guys wanting to make a name for themselves at your expense.
    im a bit pissed he didnt sign with UFC back then, cause he sure couldnt have destroyed his reputation there any more than he did in Sengoku now. all the great fights we couldve seen from him. but anyway i hope he has a good comeback. im a loyal guy, so hes still one of my favorite lightweights.
    im running out of lightweights to admire though .. Huerta nearly gone, BJ fighting at WW and now Gomi gone for a while.
    http://forums.mmanews.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=36268&dateline=123102  8211

That win streak he had going in Bushido & those bigger Pride events is something I sure wont forget in a hurry,especially that fight with Kawajiri,which is still one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.
    It wasnt just a great win streak as much as it was the way he was winning & despatching his opponents.It does seem that he lacks focus of late,but when hes got his mind on the job & gets his training right before a fight he remains one of the most dangerous guys in the world of MMA,in any weight division.
    I hope he comes back after his injury lay off & performs like the Fireball Kid of old,imo he still has enough years left in him to resurrect his career & get back to the top of the sport.

(He never seemed to care much.)

Just my opinion.

Gomi is the man win or lose, I really hope he continues to fight though.

Never cared much for Gomi, I always wanted to see him get his ass kicked. My favorite fight by Gomi was when he fought Crazy Horse. Who i thought could of possibly won if it wasn't for his poor ground game.

He was depressed when he had the fake lost to Golyaev, seems like he lost his confidence there but knowing Gomi, he will come back strong and knock some few teeths before he retires

Quote Originally Posted by pa99ortiz View Post
    Gomi is the man win or lose, I really hope he continues to fight though.
    Ageeded!

Quote Originally Posted by vegetable power View Post
    Never cared much for Gomi, I always wanted to see him get his ass kicked. My favorite fight by Gomi was when he fought Crazy Horse. Who i thought could of possibly won if it wasn't for his poor ground game.
    Granted,Bennetts good to watch but poor does'nt begin to describe his ground game,the guy barely has one.Horse nearly lost an arm in that fight but he refused to tap to that kimura(was a terrible example of one,but still),just shows how krazy the Krazy Horse really is.

To be honest though,Bennett never really stood a chance in that one.If you thought that fight was good then you should seriously check out Takanori Gomi vs Tatsuya Kawajiri,you wont be dissapointed.It was a far better fight,voted the 2005 Pride fight of the year(which is no mean feat).
    Best fight I ever saw Bennett in was when he knocked K.J.Noons the F**K Out!! Fan-F**king-Tastic!!!!

He was robbed against Golyaev, and actually showed a decent ground game in the fight. I think there's more that we can see from Gomi, but even against Golyaev he looked tentative and un-inspired to fight. Hopefully he'll get some motivation and go back and KTFO Kitaoka like he should after rising back to title contention in a good win or so. Gomi still has it, he just needs some damn motivation.

Who wants cream? Nobody? Ok, no cream.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information