+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kevin Randleman Interview

Default Kevin Randleman Interview

ChokeHimOut.com recently talked with former UFC Heavyweight Champion Kevin "The Monster" Randleman. Kevin talked with us about what he's been working on, his struggle with illness and what the future holds...

C.H.O: Can you tell me what's new and what you're working on?

KR: I 'm working with a great group of doctors. I've been working with my ortho doctor, Dr. Scott Martin and he's got me healthy. You know everything, literally it's amazing to say this, but I am healthier now when I was in 2000. You know I'm hard headed, were fighters and were supposed to endure pain. He put me back together again and literally I'm stronger, my joints are stronger and I probably have another twenty years on these without having to worry about getting hip replacements or something. I'm also working with another ortho doctor, Dr Rhonda Basheron (unknown spelling). She's working with healing me from the inside out with minerals and technique. She has me on electrodes to test my endurance and she is just making me the six million dollar man.

C.H.O: You have a long fight record. Looking back, who would you say your toughest opponent has been?

KR: My toughest opponent was Randy Couture only because it was just a war and I lost.

C.H.O: If you could have any re-match, who would it be?

KR: I would want to fight everybody that beat me. You don't understand. I couldn?t wipe my own fucking ass without my shoulder hurting and my elbow frigging being in pain. It is amazing what medicine can do.

C.H.O: Where are you training now?

KR: I am training in Las Vegas at Randy Couture's. I moved from Ohio three and half, four years ago.

C.H.O: Have you thought about fighting for the UFC again?

KR: Yes I have.

C.H.O: Is that something that is a possibility in the future?

KR: I am sure that when that road comes it will happen without a problem. The last four years I have only fought twice. The last fight was a good fight although I tore my shoulder and I only fought with one arm, but I still feel good about that fight. I would rather fight for the Japanese for three or four more fights and then fight for one of the American companies, Affliction or Strike Force. My people are talking with everyone, so whoever gives me the opportunity to fight three times in America over the course of the next year, I will be with them for awhile. I want to get six fights in.

C.H.O: What are your thoughts on Fedor?

KR: He is a very good fighter. I mean Fedor is Fedor, his name speaks volumes. It's not that he is unbeatable but he doesn't worry about what you can do. He is going to take whatever you give him and he is well versed in everything. If you want to beat Fedor, you are just going to have to go out there and take it to him. You have to put Fedor on the ground. You can't stand with Fedor and you can't hug him or try the body lock with him because of his Judo and Sambo. He has so many ways to throw you, so many ways to take you down. If you can take him down the best way to beat Fedor is to try and close his eyes and ground and pound him.

C.H.O: Can you tell me about the staph infection you suffered?

KR: There were two types of staph that I got over the past few years. The staph on the face which comes from dirty mats. The staph that almost caused me my life was MRS which was under my skin. It infected my peck and my lats. They cut out parts of my peck, my chest and my right lat. I had to rebuild all of that over the last three years. That just happened from being injured. It's a small contusion that takes place and if that explodes it becomes septic. That?s as simple as it is. When you say staph infection people think "oh dirty mats". No, what I was suffering from wasn't dirty mats, I was suffering from staph that I got from surgery and then training and getting kicked in my right side. I would rather get kicked in my side than in my head so I block my head more than my side and I ended up training with Ricco Rodriguez one day and he kicked me hard and blew it up. He exploded that little bubble and it just infected my whole right side and instead of going to the hospital right away I just kept training. Four days later I ended up going into a kind of coma. There is some nasty pictures online that you can see of the staph I had. When I woke up they were like "you almost died" and I was like "man get the fuck out of here, you guys always say that when I'm injured". They told me that I needed to start listening and to take it easy and let myself heal before I start training again and that's what I did.

C.H.O: Can you walk me through a typical day in your training schedule?

KR: On a normal day I am at the gym by six o'clock in the morning doing my 45 minutes of cardio and my lift. I am usually out by an hour or an hour and a half tops. I come home eat, maybe take a nap and then I am back at the gym at eleven and I do Muay Thai and all that. Then I go back at five o'clock and do ground work. That's a day in the life. I am very good on the ground. I am not worried about someone submitting me on the ground right now.

C.H.O: What are you working on the most right now?

KR: I work on a lot of Muay Thai, a lot of hands, and a lot of dirty boxing. I am wrestling. The thing that got me here was that I was a great wrestler and I lost sight of that trying to learn all of this other stuff, but I am back to what I do. I am a wrestler and wrestling is getting me stronger. I've wrestled maybe a week and I have gained weight because when you wrestle you wrestle against someone your size and that's two hours pushing and pulling weight. Jiu Jitsu is the one thing that I am going to work more on. Over the course of the next four or five years before I leave the beauty of this sport and become something else I am going to be in some brawls. Some of those guys are going to be good on the ground so in order to know what they are doing to me I gotta know what there doing. Eddie Bravo has already extended an invitation and I plan on going to Eddie Bravo's in three or four weeks and training with him for about a month on jiu jitsu.

C.H.O: What can we expect from Kevin Randleman in the future?

KR: I have two more fights with Sengoku left on my contract and they have some good up and coming fighters over there. Whoever is at 205lbs is who I'll be fighting.

C.H.O: Is there going to be talks with Dana in the future?

KR: Well Dana and I have good rapport. He likes me and I like him. We never had bad words and I appreciate what he has done for the sport. There was an opportunity for me to come back but if you remember I got into trouble, I did something stupid and he said "hey I just can't touch you right now". Everyday I am doing what it takes to get better. If I knock six people out, sorry to tell you but of course he is going to want me back. So yes, I will be going back to the UFC one day but in order to get back there I need to get in shape and start dominating and punishing people. The cage is my friend and I don't lose very often in that cage and everyone I lost to is fucking champions.

C.H.O: Any predictions on Coleman's upcoming fight?

KR: Coleman. I don?t know how he is going to do but I don't see it going the distance, I don?t see it going three rounds, but I see him controlling him. I also see a knock out because he has the heaviest fucking hands on any fucking fighter. If you ever sparred with him, you won't like it or you will move you ass off. Bob and weave baby bob and weave.

I heard this in a conversation once. Everyone fighting MMA right now is good and unless you're like BJ Penn or Georges St. Pierre, anyone can beat each other. It?s who got prepared better and who is mentally the strongest one will win the fight. There is so much adversity in a fight. Each punch can drop you and you gotta shake it off and get right back in there because if you back up they are going to be on you like a shark in water. It's a mental thing and if you're not strong enough it will make you weak and you will get beat up.

Just for everybody out there, Happy New Year, I hope you all had a great Christmas and believe me, just be happy. All the men and women over in Baghdad and overseas or in any kind of government agency, I want to say thank you very much for what your doing for us.

source - Choke Him Out - Exclusive ChokeHimOut Interview: Kevin "The Monster" Randleman
    I also hate hippies. Is the average person getting stupider than he was a generation ago, or are we running into more stupid people because less are getting eaten by bears?
    -Bill Maher

2. Default

I've heard that other fighters and coaches have said that Coleman has extremely heavy hands/good boxing technique but as Coleman has said, he always goes to what is familiar for him and thats wrestling. He's said he will show his punching power against Shogun...only time will tell.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

man didnt kev had so many bad health issues, to bad

Yea I'm afraid of Coleman catching Shogun with a looping right hand. Shogun's camp isn't expecting Coleman to really stand up, so they may underestimate it. That's actually the only way I see Coleman winning... the same way Randleman beat CC... fake for a shot and go in for a big hook.

I still expect Shogun to win but Coleman can throw a big haymaker and catch him because of his heavy hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Yea I'm afraid of Coleman catching Shogun with a looping right hand. Shogun's camp isn't expecting Coleman to really stand up, so they may underestimate it. That's actually the only way I see Coleman winning... the same way Randleman beat CC... fake for a shot and go in for a big hook.

I still expect Shogun to win but Coleman can throw a big haymaker and catch him because of his heavy hands.
    Colemans last fight was almost 3 years ago, I had to stop and remember what he looked like.

Shogun will be fine. this is an aged Coleman. If this was Coleman in his prime than we have something to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck_33 View Post
    Colemans last fight was almost 3 years ago, I had to stop and remember what he looked like.

Shogun will be fine. this is an aged Coleman. If this was Coleman in his prime than we have something to worry about.
    I still expect Shogun to destroy Coleman but I'm always worried about a big right hand from almost any opponents of my favourite fighters lol.

The only good feeling I have is that Shogun has never been KO'ed and Coleman has never KO'ed anyone with his hands. Then again that was the same situation with GSP and Serra the first time.

damn 3 years ago...
    has it been that long already?
    -SIGNATURE REMOVED FOR EXCEEDING SIZE LIMIT-

Note to Willpunisher: You have lost signature privileges until November 1, 2010. You may remove this message, but may not add anything to your signature until November 1.

Note to Asshole Mods: Stop being assholes and teasing me. If you going to ban me because you guys are fucking dicks than just do it already. Fucking bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I still expect Shogun to destroy Coleman but I'm always worried about a big right hand from almost any opponents of my favourite fighters lol.

The only good feeling I have is that Shogun has never been KO'ed and Coleman has never KO'ed anyone with his hands. Then again that was the same situation with GSP and Serra the first time.
    GSP/Serra 1 is a fight I'm willing to forget that ever happen'd.

Only good feeling I had was re-watching Shogun vs. Randleman and Shogun vs. Hiromitsu Kanehara

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information