Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serra confirms May 23 for Hughes Fight

Default Serra confirms May 23 for Hughes Fight

A fight long in the making that appeared may never happen due to among other things injurys and retirement rumors now appears, over a year and a half later, that it will indeed happen.

“I’ve got a date of May 23 in Vegas against Matt Hughes,” Serra confirmed this week “That’s what I just found out a few days ago and it’s actually awesome.”

The Long Island native explained why the fight had been delayed to May after so much anticipation.

“Originally I thought it was going to be in the fall (of 2007), then he was still hurt,” said Serra. “So then I thought it was going to be in January, and then that wasn’t working because he wasn’t going to be ready until March. But I’m having my kid in March, so it’s just the way things work out.

“I’m not going to miss the birth of my first born. I’m an easy guy to work with, but c’mon. So then I thought maybe April, but now it’s May.”

While initially unhappy with the delays, Serra now feels the timing may be perfect.

“With my kid being born in March is definitely going to take away a little from training, and will be a new experience for me, so I don’t mind (the fight) being pushed to May,” he admitted.

Still five months out from the proposed date, Serra is wasting no time beginning preparations now that he’s finally healthy off an injury that kept him sidelined much of last year.

“I’m driving to (Ray) Longo’s right now to get my training on,” he stated. “I’m starting to weigh out. My goal is to get in phenomenal shape and then work everything from there.”

With both fighters coming off losses in their most recent fights – Hughes to Thaigo Alves in June, and Serra to St. Pierre last April – each is in need of a win if they have hopes of staying in contention for the welterweight title to be determined on January 31 between St. Pierre and current UFC lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn.

Serra confirms May 23 for Hughes Fight

Been looking to this one for a while, happy to see its finaly gona happen

Yep, I agree with the majority that basically all of the momentum is gone from this fight; but I'm a huge Matt Hughes fan and am going to really look forward to it.

Plus as it gets closer and the smack talk builds, the interest in the fight, even among the jaded and disillusioned, will begin to grow again
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

omg finally. WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hell yeah!

i love matt hughes. i hope he beats the shit out of serra.

war hughes!

War hughes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Serra is going to "Matt Serra 'Im"

Finally, they've only been talking shit about each other since the Ultimate Fighter 4 or at least Serra has. Im looking foward to watching it, I just hope they dont try to make it a main event fight b/c its not that def not anymore. Matt Serra by TKO Rnd 2.
    Bas Rutten can kick a man's head clean off

Im glad we have this fight settled. I was worried after I haven't heard of anything after about a month, but Im rooting for Matt Serra.

WAR SERRA!

Should be a fairly entertaining fight, although useless in the overall picture of the WW division.

Very nice finish by Kendall, and not a huge fan of his, but can't deny the finesse of this triangle.

Well, if you think about it, if Serra wins, we could see a GSP/Serra 3 down the road or a Hughes/GSP 3 down the road.. only time will tell..

Thread Information