Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you the most dangerous when grappling?

Hybrid View

Default Where are you the most dangerous when grappling?

As a grappler, where are you at your best? You can list them in order if you want, but where do you do the best when grappling?

On Your Back, Top Positions, Standing up (Shots, takedowns, slams, throws, sprawls), etc.

For me, I'm best on my back. I have no problem pulling guard from the get go and working from there. Most of my submissions are usually off of my back (I get a lot of armbars, triangles, etc). Whether in my guard, in mount, queso (side control), etc., I can usually sweep the person and gain a better position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    As a grappler, where are you at your best? You can list them in order if you want, but where do you do the best when grappling?

On Your Back, Top Positions, Standing up (Shots, takedowns, slams, throws, sprawls), etc.

For me, I'm best on my back. I have no problem pulling guard from the get go and working from there. Most of my submissions are usually off of my back (I get a lot of armbars, triangles, etc). Whether in my guard, in mount, queso (side control), etc., I can usually sweep the person and gain a better position.

I feel as though I'm most dangerous from side control. I have really great body control from there and use my weight well. Also, I always feel as though I react better from side. When people try to scramble or work back to guard I feel like I'm just acting on instinct taking their back or snapping chokes or arm locks in.

My guard is pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Off my back my half guard is probably my strong point. For some reason I can sweep the shit out of people in my half guard.

I know this doesn't really go with the question per se, but if there was one thing I wish I was taught more of, it would be leg locks. We don't drill them a ton in my school and I would love to add them to my arsenal.
    "Speed plus mass equals destruction" - Brock Lesnar

As a wrestler, I am by far the best when the match is standing. I can take people down pretty well and control them, and people have a really hard time taking me down as well. I also scramble pretty well.

As it goes in wrestling, I'm good at NOT getting on my back haha. And bellying over to my stomach when I am on my back.

My top position could definitely use some work. Although my northern post series is nasty for my opponents.
    "I once had sex in an elevator." The Sundance Kid

I'm most dangerous when I have someone's back or have them in the stockade position. This question is silly.

Captain America!!!
    8/9/2008 WAIT FOR IT!

full guard love me some triangles..and armbars

Best standing because i am so flexable.....

Off my back for sure.
    Plan is pretty much hit them till they wanna take me down. If the guillotine is there, that's probably my 2nd best technique, but if not, I can usually catch them in a triangle when they posture up in my gaurd. And if that doesn't work, I'll try some rubber gaurd to get a gogo/omoplata... The only downside is I did too much grappling on my friend's carpet, because back then thats all we had, and when I go down I have a tendency to land on my right elbow, which has led to way too many nasty rug burns, and a fucked up looking elbow.

This might sound weird but from the sprawl. I love front headlock chokes I am really good at darces and anaconda chokes and my guillotine is OK. I also like to take the back from there(wrestling background)
    Favorite Fighters

BJ Penn
    Marcus Davis
    Lyoto Machida
    Randy Couture
    Duane Ludwig
    Vitor Belfort
    James Irvin
    Thiago Alves
    Spencer Fisher
    Rumina Sato
    Jose Aldo
    Favorite of all time Genki Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze145 View Post
    This might sound weird but from the sprawl. I love front headlock chokes I am really good at darces and anaconda chokes and my guillotine is OK. I also like to take the back from there(wrestling background)
    Ditto sprawl lately all the way....minus the wrestling background.
    www.fight4christmma.com ministry page crazy low prices on gear! $8 T's!

side control by far... but i enjoy being on my back. i have a great containment guard, and work a lot of different leg subs from there. i constantly work the armbar/omoplata/triangle combinations so they have no idea where i'm coming from. that hazelett 'omobar' has added some good times too :P

one of my favorites is to bait someone into my half guard... tie up the inside leg, gain double underhooks and pull a half crusher off of their contained leg. nobody sees it coming and it hurts like a mother.

while we're at it... does anyone like to use the truck?
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information