Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you the most dangerous when grappling?

My full guard is very strong and I can squeeze the life out of most people (think there was a James Bond movie...nevermind)

I am very happy to pull guard and work from there.

The problem is...That I pull guard and work for the reversal so I can get top position. I realise that is a bit back to front.

My fave subs are: Arm triangle from full mount and arm bar from guard.

I always seem to leave my neck out and often have to fight out of guilotines.

I have issues with tapping to chokes and would rather go to sleep. Any arms or leg locks will achieve a tap as I value my limbs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training @ http://www.titanfighter.com

I am most dangerous off of my back because I have long thing limbs at the same time this is also my achilles heal (no pun intended as I have lost before to ankle and achilles locks LOL) but I am just as effective transitioning from the close guard and from side control. I think a good grappler is good no matter where is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post

I have issues with tapping to chokes and would rather go to sleep. Any arms or leg locks will achieve a tap as I value my limbs.
    the neck thing has been a problem of mine for years but I managed to control that further down the line, I also value my limbs and as a lot of tournaments are all sudden death in one day, if I can't roll or transition my way out of any leg or arm lock I'll tap but that doesn't happen enough :P

Quote Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post
    i found that looking upward toward their chest say if you are in their guard (especially butterfly guard) helps me stay out of guillotines and of course keeping your head aligned in the center of their body.

The alignment thing is the key. I injured my neck twice before... Not fun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training @ http://www.titanfighter.com

to answer the original question, I'm most dangerous when they're in my guard.
    Specifically butterfly guard
    If brute force doesn't work, you simply haven't used enough!

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze145 View Post
    This might sound weird but from the sprawl. I love front headlock chokes I am really good at darces and anaconda chokes and my guillotine is OK. I also like to take the back from there(wrestling background)
    Ditto sprawl lately all the way....minus the wrestling background.
    www.fight4christmma.com ministry page crazy low prices on gear! $8 T's!

From my feet. My wrestling and Judo are second to none. If I get a hold of someone they typically end up on their back in an arm triangle.

i very rarely get choked out in non-gi grappling. i have a thick neck with very large traps that protect me from most attacks, and have rolled long enough to just keep my neck out of bad positions, specifically guillotines. my favorite no-gi submission is the arm triangle from side control, (kampmann style), but i've been working a variety of baseball bat chokes as of late. with a gi, they're deadly, but without a gi nobody sees them coming. just tie up, (almost like a thai plum) and gable grip, then jump down so that your opponent is actually in side control. i've gotten that one on 4-5 different partners, and the torque is always too much for them.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Rubber guard for sure. There's so many paths you can take from there if you know the system well. But usually I go for the pump to sweep him to his back and get the arm bar. It's not white belt hype like some people will tell you if you learn it, and train with people who know it well, there's really not that many defenses for the other guy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpanky View Post
    Rubber guard for sure. There's so many paths you can take from there if you know the system well. But usually I go for the pump to sweep him to his back and get the arm bar. It's not white belt hype like some people will tell you if you learn it, and train with people who know it well, there's really not that many defenses for the other guy to use.
    i use rubberguard a lot, (and i'm a 200+ pounder too, so it's rare in my division), but lately i've been using sean williams guard more often. bring up the meathook, (i use my left leg almost always), and reach around it under the knee, trapping their arm and allowing you lots of free space to move your hips out. there's a great choke from there too, almost like a triangle but using your forearm for the pressure.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information