Thread: AN OBJECTIVE VIEW ON OPEN SCORING (Jake Donovan)

Default AN OBJECTIVE VIEW ON OPEN SCORING (Jake Donovan)

Word came down from the WBC convention Tuesday afternoon that a new wrinkle will be added to scoring WBC-sanctioned prize fights. It’s actually a recycled idea, though with a new twist

http://www.fightbeat.com/article_detail.php?AT=208

Punk Ass Guest

Good idea, but can changing the score cards be enforced after a blind Judge scores a round wrong? That's the most important thing.

I think there are up sides and down sides to this. I think having the score cards open to the public is a good thing. My worry is that crowd reactions might sway the judges in close rounds in a fighter's backyard.

I agree with this Jake guy pretty much on what he thought. Great idea for fans and to maybe help the BS that goes down with the judges there and i also agree it should be every round not every four. Then he mentioned how a fighter might stop fighting if he knows he's greatly ahead which could lead to a fighter running for a few rounds to avoid a mistake. And like he said guys that think their winning and aren't (Oscar, Toney, etc.) won't be so surprised and will actually still continue fighting instead of fighting like they already won in the 9th round, while the opposite can be said for the other guy. It can create someone to get real aggressive and really push the action. So it's a tough call. I'd say show it to the tv crown ONLY so the fighters don't know even though someone will probably call the corner to tell them so that most likely wouldn't work. I say give it a trial period for a few months, then let the fans vote whether to keep it or not, other than that i don't know it could actually hurt it but we'll see.

No matter what they try, the corners will have ways of finding out if they announce the scores even only on the broadcast.

I like the change, think it's a smart one. Kind of screws Harold Lederman over, and I hope we don't lose our "okay Jim!" and "under the baaaahxing comission!" etc. phrases that only his voice can truly make me piss my pants laughing.

Regardless, I don't think it'll change much other than how the fans see a fight, it'll help them quickly learn what scores and what don't. That's one of the biggest misconceptions to the casual fan, I've noticed when my place gets filled up for big boxing matches on HBO, Showtime or PPV. People always think the wrong guy is winning for silly reasons that you'd assume casual fans would mistake when watching a fight. So they'll know what actually scores and what doesn't when they continue that stuff and then see what the real judges cards are as it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Boone
    No matter what they try, the corners will have ways of finding out if they announce the scores even only on the broadcast.

I like the change, think it's a smart one. Kind of screws Harold Lederman over, and I hope we don't lose our "okay Jim!" and "under the baaaahxing comission!" etc. phrases that only his voice can truly make me piss my pants laughing.

Regardless, I don't think it'll change much other than how the fans see a fight, it'll help them quickly learn what scores and what don't. That's one of the biggest misconceptions to the casual fan, I've noticed when my place gets filled up for big boxing matches on HBO, Showtime or PPV. People always think the wrong guy is winning for silly reasons that you'd assume casual fans would mistake when watching a fight. So they'll know what actually scores and what doesn't when they continue that stuff and then see what the real judges cards are as it's happening.

They have misconceptions because the casual fans are drawn to the cheerleader Jim Lampley and he tries to persuade people to see shit that isn't happening, i haven't fallen for his shit in a long time. That's why when scores are read RIGHT i'm never surprised when he disagrees and i had the same as the judges.

He's more often than not pretty accurate, just when it's certain HBO-boys fighting he's partial. Oscar De La Hoya, Roy Jones Jr., Arturo Gatti, now Jermain Taylor and Floyd Mayweather Jr., etc. When he likes you, or HBO's money is behind you, he does his job in case the judges are about to unveil a screwjob. Commentary will semi match up with it, and blamo to anyone who doesn't know boxing inside and out - they're convinced on something that totally didn't happen because of how it was presented.

Thread Information