Thread: Rate my upper body workout

Default Rate my upper body workout

Wide Grip Cable Row 5x5
    alternating with Dumbell Bench Press 5x5

Assisted Pull Up 5x5
    alternating with Dips 5x5

and then Dumbell shoulder press 3x10

I just started going to the gym and this is kind of a hybrid of stronglifts 5x5 and Nate Greene's built for show workout. I'm really out of shape and had to use 175 pounds assistance on the pull up and 100 pounds on the dips (I weigh 300 pounds). I use pretty high weights with everything else and am completely drained by the time I'm done.

Anyweighs I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or if they see something I can adjust to hit some muscles that I may be missing.

He was dead...but he got better

It sounds like a good start, the rows and bench is a solid combo for your middle-to-upper back and solid pec foundation. The dynamic pull-up to dips is something I do also, really burns me out and I love it. Overall, most of the major muscles are being hit and the minors are being semi taken care of for the time being (delts, shoulders will be hit by being support beams).

My question is are you supersetting when you say alternating, as in doing one set of cable rows then immediately going to do the set of dumbell bench press?

Very nice finish by Kendall, and not a huge fan of his, but can't deny the finesse of this triangle.

I would start out traditionally.

Chest/Tri
    Back/Bi
    Legs/Shoulders

3 exercises for each 4 sets (10-8-8-6)
    Alternate bars/dumbbells by week (Bench/curls/shrugs/rows)
    Cardio 3-4X a week and ketogenic diet will cut that weight.
    Lower the weight for the first few weeks to get the form then start adding. When you plateau, switch routines.

That should be a start.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    It sounds like a good start, the rows and bench is a solid combo for your middle-to-upper back and solid pec foundation. The dynamic pull-up to dips is something I do also, really burns me out and I love it. Overall, most of the major muscles are being hit and the minors are being semi taken care of for the time being (delts, shoulders will be hit by being support beams).

My question is are you supersetting when you say alternating, as in doing one set of cable rows then immediately going to do the set of dumbell bench press?
    Yeah I do one set of rows and then do one set of dumbell bench presses until I've done 5 of each, same with the dips and chin ups (real easy cuz the assist machine is for both). My goal is to be able to do the chins and dips without any counterweight

He was dead...but he got better

I would lose the assisted pullups and learn regular bodyweight pullups

to original poster..

what are your goals?

Thread Information