Thread: Aoki, Sakurai confirmed for DREAM WWGP

Default Aoki, Sakurai confirmed for DREAM WWGP

It will be an 8 man GP, starting with the DREAM 8 card in April. With the Monma/Ikemoto winner confirmed and Andre Galvao looking like a safe bet, the field is looking pretty good at the halfway point.

4/5 DREAM 8 - Welterweight GP Participants Announced!

FEG have announced today that Shinya Aoki will indeed move up to welterweight and compete in this year's GP. They have also confirmed that Hayato "Mach" Sakurai will compete in that GP.

The DEEP 40 fight between Hidetaka Monma and DEEP champion Seichi Ikemoto will be a GP qualifier.

Also participating in a non-GP fight will be the always popular Ikuhisa Minowa.

Welterweight GP Participants:
    Shinya Aoki 19-3-0
    Hayato "Mach" Sakurai 34-8-2
    Winner of Hidetaka Monma vs. Seichi Ikemoto

Other Participants:
    Ikuhisa Minowa 41-29-8
    Japan-MMA.com: 4/5 DREAM 8 - Welterweight GP Participants Announced!

Andre Galvao In DREAM GP?!
    •February 10, 2009 •

In an exclusive interview with Tatame, Andre Galvao reveals that it is 90% certain that he will participate in the DREAM Welterweight GP which starts in April. Galvao won gold in the Medium Heavyweight division and bronze in the Absolute divison in the BJJ Worlds 2008. He made his MMA debut last year against veteran Jeremiah Metcalf. Galvao won via armbar in the second round after a tough fight. He then defeated Mikey Gomez, again via armbar, in December of 2008.
    Andre Galvao In DREAM GP?! « Nightmare Of Battle

awesome!

Fantastic, both guys better served at WW.

DREAM, you just had this guy fight in your LW grand prix. I know Aoki started his career at WW but come on, he's just not a very big guy. As for Sakurai, it'd be nice to see him make the cut to LW, but at least it's not unexpected that he won't.

If they're seeding LW's, they must not have many good WWs on the horizon for this.

Well, that and the fact Aoki's one of their golden gooses I guess.

Man, where can you watch these eastern MMA events? Is there a tv channel or a website? I know virtually nothing about these guys and it sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Wow, I wonder how much muscle Aoki is going to put on.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Man, where can you watch these eastern MMA events? Is there a tv channel or a website? I know virtually nothing about these guys and it sucks!
    DREAM and Sengoku are aired on HDNet, if you can get it.

i'm not really sure if it's smart for aoki to move up in weight like this? i bet sakurai stops him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Wow, I wonder how much muscle Aoki is going to put on.
    Probably not much. He'll look like he did in Shooto. I'm looking forward to a possibly Aoki vs. Sakurai rematch. I just hope DREAM doesn't match them up in the first round. I hate when they do that with the 2 favorites of a GP

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    try channelsurfing.net on the day of the show. always works for me, you might need to dl some kind of software to view, but it's all good.
    Minimalisim, it's the least you can do.

Thread Information