+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diego sanchez drop to 155 not permanent

Hybrid View

Default Diego sanchez drop to 155 not permanent

- DIEGO SANCHEZ DROP TO 155 NOT PERMANENT - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

When the announcement was made that perennial Top 10 welterweight Diego Sanchez was making a move to lightweight just about every fighter at 155 pounds took immediate notice. From top contenders on down, Sanchez is gunning for the best fighters in the world at lightweight, but as he told MMAWeekly Radio recently, his run at 170 isn't finished either.

Always known for his tremendous strength and cardio conditioning, Sanchez will not accept a loss in either of those categories for his move to lightweight, which may not last as long as some people may have expected.

"I definitely am going to go back to welterweight. Maybe a year, year and a half at this weight, we'll see," he said in the interview. "It's all about the business and the right fights, whatever are the best fights for the UFC. I'm here to put the best fights on for the fans and the UFC, and be the best fighter out there that I can be for you guys."

The New Mexico born fighter attributes the move to lightweight as something he felt necessary at this point in his career, but as he ages, he believes that 170 will be his home once again.

"I'm 27 now, so I'm only in my twenties. When I come into my thirties it's going to be a lot harder to make that weight drop, so I said hey go for the belt at 155 and then later on in my career, I can go for the belt at 170," commented Sanchez.

Working in Lake Tahoe with his camp, he is confident that he will make the 155-pound weight limit with no problem. He's already walking around at a comfortable size ready to make the cut.

"There's no practice run for me. Time is ticking. I started at like 190 at the beginning of the year, and I've just lived very disciplined," stated Sanchez. "(The) first 10 pounds came off easy, second 10 pounds not as easy, and now I'm weighing 166, so I'm about 11 pounds over, fully hydrated. That's before I work out; I'm about 166. I get down to about 163, 162½ after the workout, so I'm at where I need to be in my mind."

For the time being his home is the lightweight division and despite the weight loss, the "Ultimate Fighter" season 1 winner is ready to tackle the world.

"I've never felt better in my life," he said about the weight cut.

Sanchez will close out his camp this week before heading to London to face Joe Stevenson in the main event of UFC 95.

This is true. The weight cut will definitely be harder as he gets older. Not really a bad idea for the moment
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

i dont see the point in doing this for a year or so, in a year he could get maybe 4 wins going but that doesnt get a title shot in my book. And going back to welterwieght he would have to start back in the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    i dont see the point in doing this for a year or so, in a year he could get maybe 4 wins going but that doesnt get a title shot in my book. And going back to welterwieght he would have to start back in the middle...
    I disagree. I believe you'll see Diego get a title shot at 155 with 2-3 wins (even more so if he finishes 2-3 fights).

He was a top 10 at 170 and put on a lot of good fights. With a lot of people seeing him as a threat to any champ at 155, you'll see the fight sooner than later, baring loses.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

seems like you aren't understanding what is happening. Diego isn't an unproven fighter barely entering the UFC, he is a dangerous 170 pounder who will be a beast at 155. If he beats joe daddy, joe silva will pit him against a top contender such as sherk, griffin, guida, etc. There is no reason he has to start at the bottom.

As for going back to welterweight, if Diego ends up as the 155 champ do you really think he would start in the middle at welterweight or do you think silva would start making super fights with the top wws?

I am really excited about Diego at 155 and I dont even like him much. He is just a great fighter with a lot of potential. good luck Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by eargue View Post
    seems like you aren't understanding what is happening. Diego isn't an unproven fighter barely entering the UFC, he is a dangerous 170 pounder who will be a beast at 155. If he beats joe daddy, joe silva will pit him against a top contender such as sherk, griffin, guida, etc. There is no reason he has to start at the bottom.

As for going back to welterweight, if Diego ends up as the 155 champ do you really think he would start in the middle at welterweight or do you think silva would start making super fights with the top wws?

I am really excited about Diego at 155 and I dont even like him much. He is just a great fighter with a lot of potential. good luck Diego.
    Great points. Diego won me over with his fight against Florian. He's now one of the fighters I most look forward to see fighting. I love the fact that he's in such a stacked division. So many great fights to be made there. Big Daddy will put up a fight but this will be the third opponent in a row that on paper, at least, looked like a bad match up for him. The first two proved to be the case and I expect this to be no different.

I guess you dont watch how the UFC grants title fights. Maybe you should pay more attention. He left WW with two wins. They werent top 10 fighters, but still 2 wins against good fighters. Pay closer attention to how fighters move threw rankings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    This is true. The weight cut will definitely be harder as he gets older. Not really a bad idea for the moment

I am so tired of seeing this stupid grease cartoon thingy. penn fans are just like penn, cry like a bitch after gettin ur ass kicked. sad. really is. just sad. penn got his ass kicked in the standup too. just admit it, penn belongs at 155, period.

Alot will be told by how he matches up with Big Daddy.

I think Stevenson is in for a beating.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information