Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll results: If Silva beats leites, who should be next?

1. Default Poll results: If Silva beats leites, who should be next?

While UFC middleweight Thales Leites might feel otherwise, the majority of the MMA world has taken to viewing his UFC 97 title bout with champion Anderson Silva as a foregone conclusion.

With no disrespect intended for the challenger, our most recent "Inside MMA"/MMAjunkie.com poll asked that if Silva is indeed destined to defeat Leites, who should be next?

The results were revealed during the latest "Inside MMA" episode, and the answers spread fairly evenly between a number of potential candidates.

The largest percentage of voters -- 30 percent -- felt Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) is most deserving of the next opportunity. With four "Submission of the Night" honors in his five UFC wins, many believe Maia can present "The Spider" with a test he has yet to pass.

Former No. 1 contender Yushin Okami (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) -- the last man to beat Silva, albeit under controversial circumstances -- came in second with 22 percent of the vote.

A man who has lost to both Silva and Leites followed closely behind, as Nate Maquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) earned 20 percent of the vote.

British slugger Michael Bisping (17-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) earned 15 percent of the response, while former middleweight title challenger Dan Henderson (24-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) received 10 percent of the vote.

Three percent of the voters felt someone other than those top-five candidates deserved the next shot.

The full results of the poll were:
    30% -- Demian Maia
    22% -- Yushin Okami
    20% -- Nate Marquardt
    15% -- Michael Bisping
    10% -- Dan Henderson
    3% -- Other
    As always, thanks to all of you who voted, and be sure to vote in our newest poll.
    "Inside MMA" poll results: If Silva beats Leites, who should be next? | MMAjunkie.com
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Wow them people want Maia to get killed.I'm very impressed with his ground work but his stand-up from what i've seen is severely lacking,Anderson would destroy him in the first 2 minutes if he does'nt play around with him.I say give Maia another year and a couple fights and maybe he'll be ready to face the Spider.

I was impressed how easily Maia got Sonnen to the ground who's a very good wrestler with good takedown defense. If Maia could get Anderson on the ground it could very well be the changing of the belt.

Don't be scared homie.

Quote Originally Posted by jhell View Post
    I was impressed how easily Maia got Sonnen to the ground who's a very good wrestler with good takedown defense. If Maia could get Anderson on the ground it could very well be the changing of the belt.
    Second. I still think Maia needs to up against a Marquardt-level fighter before getting his shot at Anderson, but he's a legit threat, no doubt.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

Maia ofcourse, he has some great ground skills, a good fighter, but i want to see him take that next step before challenging for the belt.

Maia is my fave to take the MW title, either from Anderson, or once he retires.

He's just such a freak on the ground and seems to have such dominating skills, dunno how you could argue is better suited to challenge "The Spider"

Nate and Hendo are sick MWs and have terribly deep skillsets, but have both tried and failed. Leites isn't going anywhere near that fucking title and neither is Bisping or Okami.

Maia is a freak, maybe Palhares could handle him, but seriously, he's so skilled I think he's a brilliant and easy choice.

think people vote alot on who they want to fight for the title rather than who deserves it.

Maia like a few have already said should perhaps fight someone next tier, possibly 1 of those guys listed in the poll with him, however i think Yushin should have the next shot, but as, the ufc thinks hes a boring fighter just seems like he wont be getting it, which is a sad way to base your decision on.

denice25 Guest

I think its a great fight...

Quote Originally Posted by jhell View Post
    Seconded. I myself didn't think it would have been that easy for Maia, so I was overly surprised by that.

Sonnen is a top notch wrestler, and is no slouch whatsoever, so Maia deserves much more credit than some aren't giving him. Whilst his stand-up isn't actually up to par with Silva, I feel he could hold his own, and quite possibly get him down to sub the Spider. Then again, that'll probably not be an easy task, seeing Silva is BJJ Black belt. That said, if and when those two meet, I believe it'll be a chess match. Maia by sub, however.

Also, I'm not counting out Leites, as I actually believe he can pull an upset here. Well actually, I'm hoping for that. So, here I sit hoping for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lauzon View Post
    "Guillard is like, 'Oh, Joe didn't beat me. I beat myself.'" "No, I smacked you in the face with my fist, and you went down and I choked you. I'm pretty sure i'm taking credit for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by King Mo View Post
    "It's funny how some fans wanna be PC and shit, but then some of these same muthafuckaz wanna pay to see some organized violence. LOL! Or they boo if a fight ain't violent enough. LOL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahura View Post
    think people vote alot on who they want to fight for the title rather than who deserves it.

Maia like a few have already said should perhaps fight someone next tier, possibly 1 of those guys listed in the poll with him, however i think Yushin should have the next shot, but as, the ufc thinks hes a boring fighter just seems like he wont be getting it, which is a sad way to base your decision on.
    Heres how i look at it, Okami wins his next fight, then he will be in line to fight the winner of this fight. Dana said that already. Theres so many combinations you can do in this division, but Okami, first and foremost, deserves the crack at it.

Thread Information