Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shields wants a fight with Aoki

Default Shields wants a fight with Aoki

With the dearth of welterweights current in Strikeforce, former EliteXC champion Jake Shields has decided to look outside the promotion for his next welterweight opponent. The guy Shields would like to fight after his middleweight battle with Robbie Lawler in Japanese star Shinya Aoki.

“Aoki is a guy I’d like to fight, and Strikeforce has mentioned him as a potential opponent,” Shields said.

Originally, Shields was very close to squaring off with former UFC fighter Joe Riggs. That was not a fight Shields wanted to have.

“Personally, I was never really excited about it,” Shields said. “I said I would do it because I’ll fight anyone they want, but the fight doesn’t get me too excited.”

Strikeforce has also talked about another possibility down the line for Shields.

“Strikeforce has brought up the name of Frank Trigg,” Shields said.

Trigg and Shields have had a war of words through various forums that has gone on for a few years. The two have never faced each other, and each fighter has mentioned the other when asked why the fight has not taken place.
    I think this would be a great fight. Many will disagree, but I think Aoki has the better ground game and Shields would make the mistake of being comfortable enough to go there. I think Aoki takes this by sub and is a bad match up for Shields.

The real question is, where would they fight? I am assuming Shields would go to Japan for one fight?

Jake Shields wants a fight with Shinya Aoki | Five Ounces of Pain

i don't see shields/aoki happening any time soon.

i'm ok with shields vs trigg, or shamrock...what happened to the proposed shields vs lawler? i'd rather see shields vs the winner of shamrock and diaz, trigg vs the loser of that fight, and lawler vs cung le.

That would be nice. I'm always enthusiastic about seeing how the japanese superstars actually measure up to the rest of the world.
    In strikeforce would be even better, so that he doesn't get ricco'd.

Quote Originally Posted by king View Post
    i'm ok with shields vs trigg, or shamrock...what happened to the proposed shields vs lawler?
    The article states after his fight with lawler he would like to face Aoki.

That has the potential to be the most awkward fight of all time, not really interested in seeing it actually happen.

But if Shields beats Lawler who does he fight next? It has to be Cung Le right? He can't beat Robbie and then fight Trigg, that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle1228 View Post
    The article states after his fight with lawler he would like to face Aoki.
    well whaddaya know

I'm becoming less and less a fan of fighters jumping weight classes, up and/or down, .

Shields should look to St. Pierre when his contract is up, not a natural lightweight on the other side of the world.

The thing with Sheilds is, he has no standup. Why call these fighters out if you don't have a complete game? I'd love to see him face the music, and end up getting submitted by Aoki.

Quote Originally Posted by themmabooker View Post
    The thing with Sheilds is, he has no standup. Why call these fighters out if you don't have a complete game? I'd love to see him face the music, and end up getting submitted by Aoki.
    neither does aoki

what i dislike is that he's calling out a guy 40lbs lighter then him.
    it's like brock lesnar calling out gsp
    Amir Sadollah would like to thank: “TapouT, Sprawl, Suckerpunch Entertainment, and the inventor of the thong.”

^ it could happen at aoki's weight. 168 isnt much different than 170.

Thread Information