+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shields wants a fight with Aoki

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Jake says he wants to fight everybody. He would get beaten by more than most of them to. I don't like him at all. He is good but here Aoki would sub him.
    No, no he wouldn't.

You are giving Aoki waaaaaaaaaaaay more credit than he deserves, wait and see what happens to him in the grand prix against mid level welterweights before claiming he would sub a top 10 WW who has never been subbed in MMA.

Who is the best WW Aoki has ever beaten? Kikuchi right? Who else beat Kikuchi? Jake f'n Shields, and if wasn't for the bullshit biased shooto ref he probably would have beaten him the second time too. And that was a good three or four years before Shields was a blackbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Isn't Lesnar walking around about 100lbs heavier than GSP? Lesnar is 40lbs heavier than the other HW's. So anytime Lesnar calls someone out he's doing it.

Lesnar cuts to get to 265, he walks closer to 280. I don't know which other HW's cut weight.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

That would be a pretty good fight actually. Neither Aoki nor Shields have excellent Stand-up, I think Shields has the advantage in the Strength/Wrestling department, and both have a world-class ground game, with Aoki's being a bit more innovative and dynamic of course. That said, I think Shields would take this by Decision. Aoki is a tad bit overrated in my opinion, whereas Shields is a bit underrated, in my opinion of course. He's definately got the strength and skills to avoid Aoki's subs, however Hansen and Alvarez also had those qualities...anything could happen.
    1-0 in Sig/Avatar bets. [B]UFC champions in 2010
    LW: Sean Sherk
    WW: GSP or Anthony Johnson
    MW: Demian Maia
    LHW: Lyoto Machida
    HW: Cain Valasquez or Shane Carwin

MW's with the potential to dethrone Anderson Silva: Cung Le, Giva Santana and Demian Maia.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Jake says he wants to fight everybody. He would get beaten by more than most of them to. I don't like him at all. He is good but here Aoki would sub him.
    I have to agree. I don't think he would last a second in the UFC's WW divison.

Quote Originally Posted by homegrowncone View Post
    No, no he wouldn't.

You are giving Aoki waaaaaaaaaaaay more credit than he deserves, wait and see what happens to him in the grand prix against mid level welterweights before claiming he would sub a top 10 WW who has never been subbed in MMA.

Who is the best WW Aoki has ever beaten? Kikuchi right? Who else beat Kikuchi? Jake f'n Shields, and if wasn't for the bullshit biased shooto ref he probably would have beaten him the second time too. And that was a good three or four years before Shields was a blackbelt.
    Actually I thought kikuchi outgrappled him and did a good job in handling him to win their second fight... And when did shields get his blackbelt? In 05?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosttown View Post
    Aoki is a tad bit overrated in my opinion, whereas Shields is a bit underrated, in my opinion of course. He's definately got the strength and skills to avoid Aoki's subs, however Hansen and Alvarez also had those qualities...anything could happen.
    What you talking about alvarez sub defense is not really that good...

Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    Actually I thought kikuchi outgrappled him and did a good job in handling him to win their second fight... And when did shields get his blackbelt? In 05?
    Shields didn't get his black belt until either last year, or late 2007 I think.

And kikuchi did do a really good job, but there were two ridiculous stand ups when Shields had great control and Kikuchi went out of the ropes, instead of re-positioning the ref stood them up.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosttown View Post
    That would be a pretty good fight actually. Neither Aoki nor Shields have excellent Stand-up, I think Shields has the advantage in the Strength/Wrestling department, and both have a world-class ground game, with Aoki's being a bit more innovative and dynamic of course. That said, I think Shields would take this by Decision. Aoki is a tad bit overrated in my opinion, whereas Shields is a bit underrated, in my opinion of course. He's definately got the strength and skills to avoid Aoki's subs, however Hansen and Alvarez also had those qualities...anything could happen.
    finally a comment i agree with... that would be an awesome ground battle. And i can understand Shields wanting to fight Aoki they are both submission experts plus aoki has been calling out american fighters lately. As far as Aoki being overrated, i dont think so he's beaten some good guys lately. I'd love to see this fight happen, but i do pick Shields by dec. He'd probably control Aoki for the majority of the fight. I think both guys are too good on the ground and wouldnt be able to submit each other.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information