Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georges St. Pierre: I'll Help Kenny Florian Whip B.J. Penn

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    Yeah. Awesome sig by the way.
    ha, thanks bud yours too, I could actually hear the crack of that kick when I was in the Nationwide Arena lol one of the best head kicks ive seen.

2. Default

Haha, I personally loved that. Had me rolling quite a bit, especially the hiring the man part, classic.
    I too, was a big fan of BJ's. I've been a bigger fan of GSP tho for sometime now. I also respect GSP more, why? Because of him as a person. BJ has proved nothing more than that he is a crybaby who talked all that smack, then got dominated. Instead of admitting his wrongs he went and looked for a reason to complain. BJ is a lost cause in my eyes.
    Oh, and, I have been told it's wrong of me to judge my favorite fighters based on them as a person. I don't judge solely on personality, but if a fighter is great, but disrespectful, I'm not a fan. Throw stones all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshthe407king View Post
    Haha, I personally loved that. Had me rolling quite a bit, especially the hiring the man part, classic.
    I too, was a big fan of BJ's. I've been a bigger fan of GSP tho for sometime now. I also respect GSP more, why? Because of him as a person. BJ has proved nothing more than that he is a crybaby who talked all that smack, then got dominated. Instead of admitting his wrongs he went and looked for a reason to complain. BJ is a lost cause in my eyes.
    Oh, and, I have been told it's wrong of me to judge my favorite fighters based on them as a person. I don't judge solely on personality, but if a fighter is great, but disrespectful, I'm not a fan. Throw stones all you want.
    It's really hard for me to like a fighter that I don't like his or her personality so I factor that in when making my decisions... Though I could form an alternate list of fighters I like based off of fighting and peronality as well.

Quote Originally Posted by U shut ur FACE View Post
    It's really hard for me to like a fighter that I don't like his or her personality so I factor that in when making my decisions... Though I could form an alternate list of fighters I like based off of fighting and peronality as well.
    Who gives a shit about their personalities? Do you want to have a romantic relationship with them or watch them fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    Who gives a shit about their personalities? Do you want to have a romantic relationship with them or watch them fight?
    lol alot of people care about their personalities, as far as i'm concerned, I like picking fighters based on both skill and peronality because I think that is part of what makes fighters complete. Why am I going to root for some asshole to win his next fight (BJ Penn) based off of his skills when he acts like a fucking crybaby excuse-making champion? Theres nothing wrong with saying "I fucking dislike BJ Penn but he is an amazing fighter". Me, along with many others, tend to get more involved in fights when we have admiration for a fighters personality as well as his skills rather than just watching two bodies get in the ring and square off. It's a personal list anyways so it shouldnt effect much lol

Quote Originally Posted by U shut ur FACE View Post
    lol alot of people care about their personalities, as far as i'm concerned, I like picking fighters based on both skill and peronality because I think that is part of what makes fighters complete. Why am I going to root for some asshole to win his next fight (BJ Penn) based off of his skills when he acts like a fucking crybaby excuse-making champion? Theres nothing wrong with saying "I fucking dislike BJ Penn but he is an amazing fighter". Me, along with many others, tend to get more involved in fights when we have admiration for a fighters personality as well as his skills rather than just watching two bodies get in the ring and square off. It's a personal list anyways so it shouldnt effect much lol
    How do you know what a fighter's personality is really like though? All you have to judge them by is a Reality Show and their antics in the cage.... if you are using either or both of these as a means to judge a fighter's personality then I think your judgement is seriously flawed.

ohhhhhh great, this fight could get greasier then KFC chicken.

I agree with both of you - what we see on TV is most likely not truly who any of these guys are. On the other hand I do think after reading enough interviews and getting enough coverage on someone you do get a general sense of a guys personality.

In my opinion, it is also impossible to not identify with fighters personally on some level (illogical, yes) and cheer for them. We all cheer for high level skillset, but we also root for personalities. It is nothing but entertainment after all...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    I agree with both of you - what we see on TV is most likely not truly who any of these guys are. On the other hand I do think after reading enough interviews and getting enough coverage on someone you do get a general sense of a guys personality.

In my opinion, it is also impossible to not identify with fighters personally on some level (illogical, yes) and cheer for them. We all cheer for high level skillset, but we also root for personalities. It is nothing but entertainment after all...
    I don't disagree with any of this... I think you are spot on, but there is another factor I think plays as big of a role with who fans identify with and it's the same as any sport and that is Proximity... I'd go as far as to say 95% of GSP fans are from Canada. GSP has been a douche before interviews and has shown an ugly side of his personality (overall I'd say he is a great guy from what I can tell) and no one really cares mainly because he is Canada's hero.

As where if you are an MMA fan from Hawaii you almost have to be a Penn fan or risk getting jumped by anyone who knows you aren't a Penn fan.

I don't think this is the case for every fighter, but it is for this situation imo...

I am a fan of both, though I do like Penn more just because I like his style of fighting more, I've been a fan of him longer, and because he is willing to fight anyone regarless of how big or dangerous they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    ...and once again, I have to point out that anyone who "was a fan of Penn at one time and now has lost respect for him" is the very definition of a bandwagon fan.

Penn isn't doing anything differently than he always has...if someone suddenly is hating on him or disrespecting him now...good luck on the new bandwagon, and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

rh

Thread Information