Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lorenzo:BJ-KenFlo at UFC 101 in Philadelphia; Couture-Nogueira at UFC 102 in Portland

Default Lorenzo:BJ-KenFlo at UFC 101 in Philadelphia; Couture-Nogueira at UFC 102 in Portland

Penn-Florian at UFC 101 in Philadelphia; Couture-Nogueira at UFC 102 in Portland | MMAFrenzy.com

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta took to the Underground Forums over the weekend to answer questions from fans about the UFC’s upcoming plans. Among the news Fertitta confirmed was that UFC 101, originally slated for August 8th in Portland, Oregon, will in fact take place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as we reported late last week.

However, a bout between top heavyweights Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will not headline the event as rumored. Instead, a lightweight championship bout between title-holder BJ Penn and top contender Kenny Florian is in the works to fill the main event slot.

” Philly august 8, working on bj/kflo historic lightweight fight but not quite done yet!,” posted Fertitta.

The bout between Couture and Nogueira will instead headline UFC 102 on August 29th at the Rose Garden in Portland.

“Portland RoseGarden August 29th. Looks like portlands favorite son in a megafight with a brazilian legend who spent his career in japan,” wrote Fertitta.

The status of a rumored bout between Forrest Griffin and Thiago Silva originally slated for the August 8th Portland card was not mentioned.

Fertitta also posted that:

-The UFC is planning to return to Brazil, but is likely to hold an event in Australia first.
    -There are no plans for another comeback season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, but something is being planned that will “blow everyone’s mind”.
    -They are planning on holding events in the near future in Detroit, Chicago, and California.
    -They have no plans for tournaments because they’re tough on the fighters and frowned on by the athletic commissions.
    -He appreciates women in MMA and feels there’s a place for them on their shows if they can assemble a deep enough roster
    -He respects the dispute between BJ Penn and Georges St. Pierre, but wants “greasegate” to be over.
    -Japan is impossible to do business with and the UFC is unlikely to hold another event in the country

-Japan is impossible to do business with and the UFC is unlikely to hold another event in the country
    Guess Lorenzo doesn't want to play ball with the Yakuza.

I wanna see Griffin/Silva now. Damn yo. Excited for BJ/Kenflo and Nog/Couture.

silva's kinda a step down for griffin....no offense to silva, just that griffin had the belt, didn't defend it and now he's fighting a lower tier guy. glad to see an event in philly though. GSP training kenflo should make for an interesting fight.
    this sig has been approved by sandywh

"When you submit someone, there is no controversy, there is no doubt, there is only the certainty of the result. You are better than your opponent and he must submit to your technique"

Quote Originally Posted by Killinginthenameof View Post
    silva's kinda a step down for griffin....no offense to silva, just that griffin had the belt, didn't defend it and now he's fighting a lower tier guy. glad to see an event in philly though. GSP training kenflo should make for an interesting fight.
    not really... what has forrest done? Only thing he's done is beat Rua and barely beat Jackson. Silva is a good up and comer and will give him a challenge.

I really wish they would have a tournament type thing at least once a year or so because it would be really badass to see competition like that. I hope they someday create a safe system for fighters that want to join the tourney. As for women mma...im straight off that no matter how hot carano is. That should be left in the hands of Strikeforce.

Bullock Guest

lol why hasn't smoogy come in and posted the "real" source, ie a link to the UG?

Oh yeah, that's right, he only does that when I post threads or when other users post stuff from my site.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpresidents View Post
    not really... what has forrest done? Only thing he's done is beat Rua and barely beat Jackson. Silva is a good up and comer and will give him a challenge.
    Come on, what has Forrest done?

But besides that, I think Thiago Silva's the perfect fight. Forrest will be able to more or less have his way with him and get comfortable back in the cage after a long layoff.

I really think people SERIOUSLY over-estimate Thiago Silva. Christ, people were picking him over Machida, haha.

I cant wait to see a Philly crowd. They are notoriously loyal and wild. ECW Fans were the absolute greatest in the wrestling world.

I hope Kenny retires BJ, his EGO wouldn't handle another loss.

Thread Information