Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matt Hughes Still the Greatest - For Now

The greatest champion should be determined by the fighter who finished the most fights, in my opinion which, and that list would go exactly how your list is. Like in wrestling, the main goal is to pin your opponent. Likewise in an MMA fight the main goal should be to finish your opponent. Thats a pretty interesting read and Anderson will beat Matt's record of defenses and finishes if he stays around long enough.

It is not the ufc title defences that matters, fedor beat nogiera in 2003 and won the belt, and never lost a fight since 2001, cause japanese system (pride) is differant from ufcs title defences, it does not mean u just have to take out fedor from the list, nobody has a list of victories as fedor does; big nog, crocop, babalu, coleman, hunt, silvia, arlovski: all those guys had/has a belt in mma or k-1.

Awesome article. Very well thought out. Props.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    man o man talk about blind.
    I wouldn't say the analysis was blind since it clearly stated what the definition of a great champion should be, and the reasoning for it. Ignoring that information or simply not 'seeing' it...

the greatest champion means only the title defences, not who he fought on the way there?
    Yeah pretty much. At least that's what I would also contend. It's what you do as champion that makes you a great champion. Seems simple to me. The fact that GSP took one hell of a tough road to get to the belt probably adds to his stock as one of the greatest fighters. I don't think it affects his champion status though.

GSP beat
    Bj Penn
    Jon Fitch
    matt serra
    matt hughes
    josh koscheck
    sean sherk
    frank trigg
    karo parisyan
    You are right in that this is a pretty sick list though. Add in Jason Miller and Jay Hieron, and you can't argue that GSP resume is not stacked.

i dont know but I am pretty sure that is the entire 170 division save Alves, and condit who are in the ufc
    as where Silvia has not fought
    Wait, Silvia? I know many Silva's and one Sylvia. That's embarrasing.

yushin okami
    chael sonnen
    demian maia
    also most of the top rated fighters at 185 are not in the ufc,
    Robbie lawler
    Gegrd Mousasi
    vitor belfort
    frank shamrock
    There is some truth to this reasoning. I don't think beating Coté and Leites will add as much strength to Silva's title reign as beating other names on your list would have. However, Maia has only recently broken through, so fighting him earlier wouldn't have meant anything. Sonnen only recently joined the UFC and I don't think he's really what is holding Anderson back from taking the spot as greatest champion. He should be fighting Okami in April, I'll give you that one.

As for fighting guys outside of the promotion you're in, that's just a whole other debate.

I think its insane to try and compare these two I mean if you only count wins then Rashad Evans should be the best ever because he has yet to lose.
    That makes no sense. I have yet to lose in the UFC, does that put me on this list? Also I thought you were trying to argue that you SHOULD count non-title wins. Now you're saying it's insane to do so.

all that being said I hope in my life time I will get to see hughes vs silvia washed up or not and GSP vs Silvia ( my guess is that will be silvias retirment fight.)
    Funny how one little letter can change so much.

GSP with grease that is
    Cute

Quote Originally Posted by sher View Post
    It is not the ufc title defences that matters, fedor beat nogiera in 2003 and won the belt, and never lost a fight since 2001, cause japanese system (pride) is differant from ufcs title defences, it does not mean u just have to take out fedor from the list, nobody has a list of victories as fedor does; big nog, crocop, babalu, coleman, hunt, silvia, arlovski: all those guys had/has a belt in mma or k-1.
    I think you are correct if this was a list of simply the best fighters ever. I don't think the mistake was made of ignoring overseas accomplishment, while thinking only UFC fights and fighters matter. Rather, it was a list of best champions, under the definition of rating quality and frequency of title defences.
    I have to admit that a title fight has a certain aura around it that other fights don't. That won't take away from my view of Fedor and Wanderlei. They are two of the greatest fighters to ever do battle. However, I don't associate them with long reigns of title defences the same way I do Matt Hughes for example. Since this is what the analysis was focusing on, I think it is fair to keep them off the list.
    Tough to say though since many of Fedor's fights were against chamion-level competition.
    Last edited by SWIFTboy; 03-24-2009 at 08:58 PM.

anderson silva is the most dominant in ufc, period. matt hughes is a close second, but without doubt, u have to say anderson is the most dominant. who can stop him right now? any takers? but aside from him, i'd def. say matt hughes is the most dominant and i dont give a fuck what anyone says, hes still top ten ww imo (bash all ya want haters).

Anderson Silva is nowhere near as dominant at this moment in time as Matt Hughes was during his run. Matt has 9 total title defenses, 5 of them in a row.Even if you dumped out his next 4 including winning the belt back, he's still ahead. it's not even close at this time.

You people put anderson on this god like status and he's only had 4 title defenses and one championship. He might be on his way, time will determine that, but this really does show who the newbie fans are.

Matt Hugehs: 43-7
    Anderson Silva: 23-4

And for people talking about fedor in this? jesus christ gomers...... it's a UFC article about UFC champions.
    Last edited by thumper; 03-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.

"Gomers" HAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I wouldn't say the analysis was blind since it clearly stated what the definition of a great champion should be, and the reasoning for it. Ignoring that information or simply not 'seeing' it...

Yeah pretty much. At least that's what I would also contend. It's what you do as champion that makes you a great champion. Seems simple to me. The fact that GSP took one hell of a tough road to get to the belt probably adds to his stock as one of the greatest fighters. I don't think it affects his champion status though.

You are right in that this is a pretty sick list though. Add in Jason Miller and Jay Hieron, and you can't argue that GSP resume is not stacked.

Wait, Silvia? I know many Silva's and one Sylvia. That's embarrasing.

There is some truth to this reasoning. I don't think beating Coté and Leites will add as much strength to Silva's title reign as beating other names on your list would have. However, Maia has only recently broken through, so fighting him earlier wouldn't have meant anything. Sonnen only recently joined the UFC and I don't think he's really what is holding Anderson back from taking the spot as greatest champion. He should be fighting Okami in April, I'll give you that one.

As for fighting guys outside of the promotion you're in, that's just a whole other debate.

That makes no sense. I have yet to lose in the UFC, does that put me on this list? Also I thought you were trying to argue that you SHOULD count non-title wins. Now you're saying it's insane to do so.

Funny how one little letter can change so much.

Cute

I think you are correct if this was a list of simply the best fighters ever. I don't think the mistake was made of ignoring overseas accomplishment, while thinking only UFC fights and fighters matter. Rather, it was a list of best champions, under the definition of rating quality and frequency of title defences.
    I have to admit that a title fight has a certain aura around it that other fights don't. That won't take away from my view of Fedor and Wanderlei. They are two of the greatest fighters to ever do battle. However, I don't associate them with long reigns of title defences the same way I do Matt Hughes for example. Since this is what the analysis was focusing on, I think it is fair to keep them off the list.
    Tough to say though since many of Fedor's fights were against chamion-level competition.

man, u just could say: here is the list of ufc champions who had that much of title defences... and etc. but if u mean the best record is made by matt in all mma, i have to disagree, fedor won the belt and never lost it in fight, if he had injuries and could not fight in pride tournament, it does not say he lost his title, cause he won all those guys who fighted back in pride, plus ufc hw division sucked big time when pride existed.
    and dont put fedor in one page with axe murder, cause the brazilian lost many times and chuck who was at that time champ too has better record than silva.

Thread Information