+ Reply to Thread

Thread: March Badness fighter's salary released...except for Roy Jones Jr.

1. Default March Badness fighter's salary released...except for Roy Jones Jr.

March Badness salaries: Roy Jones Jr. and Bobby Lashley top earners | MMAjunkie.com

Boxing headliner Roy Jones Jr. and MMA fighter Bobby Lashley were the top earners at this past weekend's "March Badness" event, which took place March 21 at the Pensacola Civic Center in Pensacola, Fla.

Jones, whose Square Ring Promotions also promoted the hybrid boxing/MMA event event, will take home two-thirds of all net profits received from the event. Lashley, meanwhile, earned $40,000 and will also get a piece of the PPV revenue.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) today requested and received the official paydays from the State of Florida's Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

The total disclosed payroll for the event (not counting Jones' share) was $217,000.

Jones defeated Omar Sheik via fifth-round TKO in the night's boxing headliner. The State of Florida has not yet released official gate and attendance numbers – and the PPV numbers aren't released publicly – so it's unlikely Jones' official exact payday will be known.

Jones' opponent, Sheik, earned the night's second-highest payday with $50,000.

Meanwhile, Lashley, a former WWE star and up-and-coming MMA fighter, scored a lackluster unanimous decision over Jason Guida, who was a late replacement for Ken Shamrock. Despite the performance, Lashley was the top MMA earner for the night. Guida, meanwhile, earned $15,000 in defeat.

In the night's MMA main event, former top UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Moson defeated Roy Nelson via a controversial unanimous decision. The decision was met with criticism from those in attendance. Luckily, according to the DBPR paperwork, Nelson wouldn't have received a win bonus anyway. However, the victory earned Monson $25,000, $10,000 of which came in the form of a win bonus.

The full payouts included:

OFFICIAL MMA PAYDAYS

Jeff Monson: $25,000 (win bonus was $10,000)
    def. Roy Nelson: $30,000

Bobby Lashley: $40,000 (win bonus was $10,000)
    def. Jason Guida: $15,000

Din Thomas: $10,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Gabe Lemley: $5,500

Dennis Hallman: $6,000 (win bonus was $3,000)
    def. Danny Ruiz: $2,000

James Freeman: $500 (win bonus was $250)
    def. John Mowry: $300

OFFICIAL BOXING RESULTS

Roy Jones Jr.: TBD (two-thirds of net profits of event)
    def. Omar Sheik: $50,000

B.J. Flores: $12,500 (no win bonus)
    def. Jose Luis Herrera: $12,500

Eric Clinton: $800 (no win bonus)
    def. Richmond Dalphone: $800

Kieyon Bussey: $1,200 (no win bonus)
    def. Robert DaLuz: $1,800

Kelvin Price: $1,500 (no win bonus)
    def. Kevin Howard: $1,500
    Roy Nelson getting more than Jeff Monson? Kinda insulting.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I'm sure Roy got over a million if not more.

Damn $800??????? I think professional fighters should get at LEAST $2,000 for a fight regardless. $800 isn't worth getting out of bed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine2878 View Post
    Damn $800??????? I think professional fighters should get at LEAST $2,000 for a fight regardless. $800 isn't worth getting out of bed for.
    bearly covers a steak for the black eye
    Babalu - Diaz brothers

I can't believe someone gets in a ring a punched in the face for $300. Either they really love fighting or they need cash bad.

B.J. Flores: $12,500 (no win bonus)

Kinda surprised me. Kinda. Not really. Whateve'z.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisLaw View Post
    I can't believe someone gets in a ring a punched in the face for $300. Either they really love fighting or they need cash bad.
    Missed that one the first time through, wow $300?

Surprised that people are not making a bigger deal out of Guida's performance. When I watched it on the internet, I was expecting the video to be 1 minutes (50 for intro and 10 seconds for the fight), not 15 minutes.
    I know it is only Lashley's 2nd fight, but the man is a beast, I gained a lot of respect for Guida, never thought he would survive 3 rounds, let alone put Lashley in some danger.
    Last edited by VimyRidge; 03-24-2009 at 03:13 AM.

I hope they skipped on paying the play-by-play commentator who worked with I believe it was Petrozelli. He was painfully, what I like to call "TITO BAD!".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information